June 2013 Moms
Options

HELP...baby registry

I went to Babies R Us today to look at cribs, bedding, etc and I am overwhelmed.  Everything is SOOOOO expensive and not sure what it is necessary and what is not.  The bedding sets are incredibly cute but I have been told my friends that they are not necessary.  I assume the bumpers are still needed and the sheets and things but didn't know what all you second time moms thought.  And as far as cribs, the ones I like are 500 dollars.  Anyone know a place to get these cheaper?  I am of course buying the furniture myself but not sure where to register for.  Plan to breast feed...what brands of pumps...I have heard some make your nipples bleed?!  What are other things that were a lifesaver and what were things that you feel money was wasted on?

Re: HELP...baby registry

• Options

Ikea has some really great cribs around $100. Target usually has a good price on cribs as well. Wal Mart sells cribs too, and Amazon has great deals (mine is listed for about $200 on Amazon).

Those bedding sets are absolutely NOT necessary. 2-3 sheets will be just fine. A crib skirt is nice, but not necessary. You certainly don't need the bumper or quilt. See if anyone you know can sew you some. My mom did my sons's bedding: 3 sheets and a crib skirt for about $35 total.

As far as a breast pump, first check with your insurance. Some will cover all or part of the cost. If not, honestly, wait until baby arrives. Start with a manual pump and if you need/want to pump more, invest in a nice double electric.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm a FTM so can't help with some things, but I can tell you that BRU is more expensive then other places tend to be. They are a specialty store so I think I just expect to pay more when I walk in the door, but know I will find a variety as well.

We found a crib we really liked there and then went home and found the same crib on Overstock for almost $100.oo less so ordered it online. The car seat we are getting is $187.00 at BRU but only $159.0 at Target. We use BRU as out look see and feel store and then have gotten lucky looking for better deals online. That being said we will register at BRU as there are some things other stores just don't care, but I think you can be a savvy shopper and save. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was looking online today at Walmart and they have Graco cribs that come with a mattress starting at around 160...I'm a second time mom and the first time around I bought a whole bedding set and looking back it really wasnt necessary at all. I used the bumper only for looks for about 4 months while DS slept in his cosleeper. I then took it off once he started sleeping in his crib. This time around I am just buying a few crib sheets. Also since its not safe to put a baby in the crib with a blanket I used Halo sleep sacks...they worked great and I never felt paranoid that he wasn't warm enough or had to worry about suffocation from the blanket.
    image         image

• Options
    Craig's list is great for bargains. I always see people selling pottery barn crib sets if you really want a whole set.  They have cribs, swings, jumperoos and just about anything else you would need. You can find stuff barely used and in great shape some stuff isn't but then don't buy it. I bought the ameda purely yours breast pump from BRU with their 20% off coupons because it is a closed system so bacteria will not go into the milk from the machine. You can sell it after your done with it or lend it out to friends for this same reason. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I second target for cribs if you want to go that route.  They seem a little cheaply made to me.  If you want something to withstand time and to be used for more than one kid, I would go for a nicer crib.  Even PBK cheapest crib is $400.  Thats not terriable.  I found a really really nice crib on clearence that was a floor sample.  I went to about a billion stores before I found what I wanted.

Bedding sets - skip!  You should not use the bumper.  The quilt should not be used for the first year either.  I bought cute sheets, a skirt and a breathable bumper.  Much cheaper and you can mix and match things you like. 

For pumps liked medela. 

Bumbo - complete waste of money! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am almost positive that breast pumps are now covered by health insurance Obamacare changes. I believe you have to get a prescription from your doctor, but that should probably just require proving that you work or are away from baby for extended periods of time.
  • Options
    Check amazon, I bought all my furniture there 4 pieces for 650
  • Options

I second the Craigslist and Ikea suggestions.  Also, comparison shopping even between Wal-Mart and Target can save you a bundle.  I'm expecting our 3rd child, but with our first, family helped out a lot.  DHs parents bought a travel system.  We inherited a gently used crib from a cousin and some hand-me-downs from relatives.  Plus, gifts from friends and coworkers were more than we'd expected. 

TBH, I was bummed at first that I couldn't give my girl everything I thought she needed. We upgraded the crib a few months after she was born and filled out the nursery over the first year or so.  Looking back, I never used the bumper and quilt set I splurged on for either of my daughters.  The monitor was redundant since we always heard her wake up.  She hated the bouncer.  My other daughter hated her swing.  I'd try these types of things out at friend's places before buying them.  We used the baby carrier a LOT more than we'd anticipated, so I'd spend more on this.  Or a stroller.  I can't say much about pumps.  It's been six yrs since my last baby, so my advice would be dated. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"