3rd Trimester

Hypercoiled cord? Long need advise please!!

I am 37 weeks, and at 20 weeks i found out my son has a hypercoild umbilical cord. My docotors have never seen anything like it so have me on close monitoring. Well they never seem to be concerned about what i have issues with, like when im in pain or cramping they say oh its normal pregnancy stuff. So as they are doctors i trust them (what choice do i have iv never gone through pregnancy before) Well i decided to look into it myself. I have read on multiple different medical sights that hypercoiling is a rare thing to happen. And that it usually leads to miscarage in late pregnancy. Those people who make it to full term seem like everything is going to be ok,, but during delivery all of a sudden babys heart stops and can not be resesitated. I have talked to my doctors about this and they dont think its a problem. Me on the other hand actually doing research am extremely worried!!! Iv asked about getting indused before there is complications, they refused. They wont due a c sec unless it comes down to it but it will mostlikely be 39-41 weeks along for that. I would switch doctors but as i am a military wife i must go to the hospital here on base. How would you go about convincing them that an induction at this time would be a good thing. I know my body more than they do and they havent even done there homwork on the subject. Im just so worried and scared please help!!

BabyFetus Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: Hypercoiled cord? Long need advise please!!

• Ooph tough situation.  Your on a military base...surly there are offices around non-military.  I would find one even if you have to pay ask them to transfer your records and that you want advice.  If you stress about so will your baby.  Babies can die when mothers are too stressed, chill at least give your baby that much more of a chance. Easier said then done without a doubt.   You have to believe in your baby and in yourself.  But do spend the money on another opinion maybe a femal non military ob.  
  • You CAN switch off base.  You can switch to Tricare standard.  It took me literally one day to switch AND you can go to an appointment as soon as you fax in your Prime disenrollment request. You also will not pay out of pocket very much at all - maternity care is covered... you only pay for YOUR hospital stay. I've really only heard of someone paying at most $200 for the entire pregnancy. The catch is if you need a doc for non-maternity related care, you have a copay. I am switching back to Prime right after pregnancy. I was initially told you are locked out of Prime for 1 year, but then later found out you have one time to switch it back in less than a year and they will do that for you.  If you're going to switch I recommended first calling around to see if you can find a doctor who will take you so late. The other catch is make sure you find a good doctor before disenrolling. You can get back on Prime but you need to have it faxed in by the 20th of the month or else you have to wait until the following month. I know because I literally switched to Standard this week, they processed it in less than a day!  And then I panicked and thought I wanted to switch back to Prime, and while I can, it wouldn't start until March.  I know you can be seen at an MTF on Standard but it's on a space available basis.

Also I know it is easier said than done but try to remain calm, it really is the best thing you can do for your baby right now :)  

• How do you know they haven't done their homework on your condition? Did they say that? Perhaps they have done the research and are acting in your and your child's best interest. Try to stay calm and don't stress. Ask them why they think it's too early for interventions, etc. And if you are really that uncomfortable with your doctors, go off base. 
  • image mrhargr:
    How do you know they haven't done their homework on your condition? Did they say that? Perhaps they have done the research and are acting in your and your child's best interest. Try to stay calm and don't stress. Ask them why they think it's too early for interventions, etc. And if you are really that uncomfortable with your doctors, go off base. 

I believe they havent done their homwork because they told me they know what its called and thats about it they had no idea what causes it, or anything about it just what its called thats why i looked into it myself :(  They dont think its to early either its just they refuse to induse or c sec unless medically nesesarry and since they know noting about the cord condition they have no idea what to do.

and thanks i will try to switch to standard but this hospital is so slow with everything

BabyFetus Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • "If you stress about so will your baby. Babies can die when mothers are too stressed, chill at least give your baby that much more of a chance."

This is the most outrageously false statement. It's complete and utter bullsh1t. Please don't spout off offensive crap like this. Anyone who has ever lost a baby had no way to cause their loss. Stress absolutely does NOT cause miscarriage.
    Lilypie - (uZTn)Lilypie - (NNJ6)
    July 2013 BMB Siggy Challenge
    NTNP Since August 2014
    TTC for #3 in January 2016!

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

ThereBeDragonsJecca07TyrannosaurusLex
  • image Strozyk Hayes:
    Ooph tough situation.  Your on a military base...surly there are offices around non-military.  I would find one even if you have to pay ask them to transfer your records and that you want advice.  If you stress about so will your baby.  Babies can die when mothers are too stressed, chill at least give your baby that much more of a chance. Easier said then done without a doubt.   You have to believe in your baby and in yourself.  But do spend the money on another opinion maybe a femal non military ob.  

Babies do not die because of a mother's stress, this is a myth.  No, it is not good for anyone, but this kind of comment just creates more stress on the mother.  There were many mothers pregnant who lost their spouses in 9/11 and were under incredible stress, their babies are fine.  Please don't further this myth especially to a mom who is very worried about her baby as is. 

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

Jecca07
  • OP - I think you are wise to keep advocating for your baby and yourself.  That is really important.

If you have not already, I would print out and organize your research and take to your doctor again, and the new one if you are able to change to help them better understand the condition and what needs to happen.  This might be more powerful than just telling them what you read.  I would also encourage you to put your request for an early intervention in writing as a letter to your doctor with the research attached and date it.  They need to take this seriously and when things go in writing, sometimes that helps make that happen.

Lastly, I don't know anything about this condition, but depending on the outcomes of deliveries from your research, this might be one of the times when a scheduled c-section makes sense.  I am all about lack of interventions, and even I recognize that there are times, especially with cord issues when they are the best option.  

You are being a good mama, keep at it and listen to your intuition.  Your goal is to get your baby here safely.

Hugs,

Jenn 

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

• Switching from Prime to Standard has nothing to do with the hospital. It's something you do yourself so you don't have to wait for the hospital at all if you really want to switch.
  • You could also post this on the high risk board. 

• I dealt with this on my last pregnancy. Best is not to worry. Going full term is ok. I was monitored very closely and was told what could happen( still borm, mental retardation, etc..) i just prepared myself. My son even developed a valve in heart that wouldn't shut. Expecting the worse I just kept along with my pregnancy and enjoyed what I could. I found out everything at 20 weeks. My son was 3 weeks early. He was healthy 6lb 12oz. Had slight heart murmur and valve fixed itself before he was born so no surgery. I ended up having a c section only because my previous was a c section not because of his condition. so you can have the baby natural. If you feel the doc isn't listening ask for a second opinion with another doc at naval. It can be done. You don't have to stick with your doc. I'm pregnant now and requesting a vbac because I have no complications and its been 5 years since my last.