3rd Trimester

kind of re-thinking the induction; a vent of sorts

Now that it's officially a week away, and my OB office is supposed to call today to give me the time to be in L&D next Friday morning, I'm reminded that pregnancy EDD can be +- two weeks. So while I feel like I've been pregnant for a century, what if he's really only 37 weeks by that point and not really ready to be born?

All of the u/s and the fundal height have proved him to be measuring 3 weeks ahead, but REALLY, how accurate are those predictions?

I just worry that I'll make the wrong choice and something is going to go wrong. I'm thinking about declining the induction. If something were to happen, I'd never forgive myself. 

 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: kind of re-thinking the induction; a vent of sorts

  • I don't think I would medically induce unless there was some kind of medical reason. Good luck!
  • If there's a medical reason for the induction then I'd say you have to think about how you feel about your doctor's care and opinion.  But if there's not and you'll only be 39 weeks, I would ABSOLUTELY turn down an induction.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

    image
  • Personally, I wouldn't induce on measurements alone. DS was measuring ahead from 28 weeks on. I still carried him to 40w3d and he wasn't overly large (8 lbs., 1 oz). I'm measuring 2-3 weeks ahead again this time around. I haven't had my growth u/s yet to see if they can determine why, but I don't plan on an induction unless there is some other evidence that it's necessary.
    my food blog

    Zachary (4/2/10) and Ian (3/20/13)

    image
  • Yeah, there aren't any other medical reason(s) to induce other than the "big baby" prediction. It's just so tempting because I can plan what to do with DS, FI can make sure that he's already requesting that time off of work, etc. All very superficial things in the grand scheme of things. Things that I'm not willing to risk my babe's health for.

    Damnit. I guess I don't know when LO is coming then. 

     

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would say trust your doctor. For medical reasons, I should be induced at 38 weeks, but my OB is trying his hardest to avoid it. He hasn't mentioned inductions dates at all. When I questioned him, he gave me a stern father look and said we want little one to be as healthy as possible.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I felt the same way when I got my induction date for this Sunday.  After having my post date ultrasound they said all was good and that the placenta was still providing the necessary nutrients.  Baby is full term and my doctor thinks its best.  I trust him, especially because I know that he wouldn't order an induction if he didn't feel it was best for everyone as he would prefer I went naturally.  Talk to your doctor about how you feel and make an informed decision.  I feel like having an induction date makes me more nervous/anxious as now I know for sure when it's going to start, and that was partly why I was questioning my induction.  Now I'm just looking forward to meeting our baby and finding out if it's a boy or girl.  Good luck with your decision and do what's best for ou!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I absolutely wouldn't do the induction. I guess I'm still shaking my head over your Dr. pushing for one at 39 weeks for a "big baby" and no other medical reason when ACOG doesn't recommend them unless baby is measuring over 11 lbs. That's ridiculous to me. You definitely see on here all the time stories and anecdotes about very small women having large babies vaginally, so it's not like it doesn't happen. I think you're smart to think about what if baby isn't 39 weeks. Add to that list - how would you feel if baby was only 7 or 8 lbs, which is very possible, seeing as growth u/s can be off by 2 lbs (I have no idea how big dr. told you baby was). So you could be looking at a 37 weeker that's 2 lbs less than your dr. is guessing. Would you be okay with that?

    If you do decide to not go through with the induction and your dr. gives you grief, I would straight up ask him why he is suggesting/pushing you to do something that completely goes against ACOG's recommendations (bring along the article if need be). I would be very interested to hear that response.

    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP 5.21.12 ~~ Born 1.28.13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The predictions can be off signficantly, often by over a week or so. With my first I had the opposite problem, measuring small. I went for growth ultrasounds every other week, so the estimate was pretty spot on, but I still had a range of about a lb. in their estimates.

    I would say talk with your doctor about the risks involved if you wait. When my doctor said they wanted to induce they asked me what I thought and I said 'I would like to avoid an induction, but not if it would increase the risk to my baby' and they said while there are no guarantees, it probably would not - but my MW, OB and the head of L&D sat down with all of my paperwork and then got back to me. I didn't induce and the baby came on the day they had planned to schedule anyway (40 weeks 2 days)

    LO born Feb 2010 & Feb 2013
    MMC at 12 weeks March 2012


    image
  • I would absolutely decline an induction based solely on size alone. If you're having other medical problems, that obviously changes things. But I was measuring 4w ahead with Ds and was told I was having a monster baby. He was 7lb5oz of perfection :) and came at 39w1d... GL mama
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid


    Rap Roller
  • image dande2129:

    Yeah, there aren't any other medical reason(s) to induce other than the "big baby" prediction. It's just so tempting because I can plan what to do with DS, FI can make sure that he's already requesting that time off of work, etc. All very superficial things in the grand scheme of things. Things that I'm not willing to risk my babe's health for.

    Damnit. I guess I don't know when LO is coming then. 

     

    I hear you. My OB's office offers elective induction after 39w for S+TMs, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't partly consider it, just so I could make plans on what to do with DS. We have no family close by so I really have zero idea what will happen when I go into labor. But, like you said, it's not worth risking LO's health for it. 

    my food blog

    Zachary (4/2/10) and Ian (3/20/13)

    image
  • Like I told you a few days ago, I wouldn't do it and that is based on my history. Thos measurements have been proven to wrong time and time again. The girl in my office had her induction on Monday for the same reason...early. I would at least hold off to my actual term date and then revisit.
    "A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."
    -- Agatha Christie

    [center]image[center]

    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm planning to be induced at 40w1d if he doesn't come on his own by then and only because my mother is traveling 4000+ miles to see him be born and to help me for 2 weeks after he arrives.

     My husband is deployed and won't be home for the birth (this is our first) so I don't want to risk being one of the mom's who wind up going 41w or more and have grandma have wasted all that money flying over for nothing. Plus, knowing a better time frame of when he's coming will make it easier for Daddy to be able to Skype in for the birth.

    At my 30w checkup yesterday baby was measuring at 3lb 9oz and the Dr. predicted a 7lb 10oz baby if he waits the full 40w to come.

    For me personally, I wouldn't induce early because I've already waited that long, what's one more week until he's full term. But then again I'm sure there are other mom's out here who would judge me for inducing for a non-medical reason. 

    Thrilled on becoming a First Time Mom!
    BFP 7/18/2012 ~ EDD 3/28/2013
    10/11/2012 - 16w - It's a boy!

    image
  • My doctor doesn't even do growth ultrasounds. I get my A/S at 24 weeks, and that's it. Nor does he measure fundal height with a tape measure. He feels around and gives me a guesstimate on where I am and the size of the baby. He was off by less than two ounces with my 41 week LO. With that being said, I would never choose to be induced early based solely on ultrasound measurements. My SIL carried an almost 11.5 lb baby to term...she did have a csection, but would never have chosen to have him early.
  • image runlong3:

    I absolutely wouldn't do the induction. I guess I'm still shaking my head over your Dr. pushing for one at 39 weeks for a "big baby" and no other medical reason when ACOG doesn't recommend them unless baby is measuring over 11 lbs. That's ridiculous to me. You definitely see on here all the time stories and anecdotes about very small women having large babies vaginally, so it's not like it doesn't happen. I think you're smart to think about what if baby isn't 39 weeks. Add to that list - how would you feel if baby was only 7 or 8 lbs, which is very possible, seeing as growth u/s can be off by 2 lbs (I have no idea how big dr. told you baby was). So you could be looking at a 37 weeker that's 2 lbs less than your dr. is guessing. Would you be okay with that?

    If you do decide to not go through with the induction and your dr. gives you grief, I would straight up ask him why he is suggesting/pushing you to do something that completely goes against ACOG's recommendations (bring along the article if need be). I would be very interested to hear that response.

    this... I'd want to know what they say too when you asked them about the ACOG recommendations 

    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket
  • If it wasn't medically necessary I would never opt for an induction. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    image
  • I was induced at 39 weeks because of high bp and everything went really, really well.  It was my third baby an being that this is your second, your body kind of "knows" what to do.  Before I was induced, I candidly asked my OB "Are you very sure this induction will work?".  She answered yes and that was all I needed to here.  I trust her and I trust that she does not want me to end up with a c-section or a baby in distress.  Do you have that same confidence in your OB?  If not, I would wait it out. 

    As of my appt. today I am measuring 3 weeks ahead but I know that when I go next time I could very well be measuring on track because of growth spurts, etc.  My first baby was almost 8 lbs. and it was a long and painful labor.  My second baby was 10 lbs. and the labor was much easier.  Size alone would not cause me to induce. 


  • image MexiCali:
    I would at least hold off to my actual term date and then revisit.

    That's the decision that I've come to after stewing over it all day.

    And like a PP said, if they want to induce at 39 weeks, what is one more week? My body has already started the process that never began with DS. (I never really dilated, I never had ANY contractions, not even BHs with him) I may as well just stick it out and hope for the best.  

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image nyki06:
    If it wasn't medically necessary I would never opt for an induction. 

    Ditto. I've never heard a good induction story and would personally avoid one unless there was a very valid medical reason to do so.



    Lilypie - (EKqW)
    http://lb1f.lilypie.com/cvSDm4.png
  • image HML5382:

    image nyki06:
    If it wasn't medically necessary I would never opt for an induction. 

    Ditto. I've never heard a good induction story and would personally avoid one unless there was a very valid medical reason to do so.

    I was induced with DS, and didn't necessarily have a bad experience except that the epidural didn't take.

    But I know what you mean--- just because I got lucky and had an "uneventful" induction with DS doesn't mean that I should sign up for another.  

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image HML5382:

    image nyki06:
    If it wasn't medically necessary I would never opt for an induction. 

    Ditto. I've never heard a good induction story and would personally avoid one unless there was a very valid medical reason to do so.

    I had a really good induction and was induced several days before my due date. I was scared into an induction due to "big baby" syndrome. I honestly think my body was ready to go and that is why my body was acceptable to the induction. The thing is if you aren't, then you aren't ready and you will end up with a C/S.

    This time I birthing at a center to avoid interference like that again. I was more disappointed that I didn't wait till at least I was over due. I am sure I would have gone on my own.

    "A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."
    -- Agatha Christie

    [center]image[center]

    Pregnancy Ticker
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards