March 2012 Moms

NBR: You won't believe what I saw...

I was out taking dd to a dr's appointment and while driving down the road I saw the oddest sight.  There was a young lady, walking a PIG, yes a pig, down the road on a leash.  The pig was also wearing a jacket.  And I thought that I'd seen everything.  
Lilypie First Birthday tickers image

Re: NBR: You won't believe what I saw...

• Haha, awesome! I have heard that some people keep pigs as pets, but I didn't know they took them on walks!
  • totally normal.. as long as she was walking her designated path.. as a piggy owner you are supposed to have a designated walk path to avoid spreading foot n mouth etc.

Pigs are very intelligent and extremely clean and make great house pets :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I suppose even pigs need exercise!  Too funny!
  • Haha I used to live in Florida, and one day while driving down the highway (a long one) I saw a Zebra..... and then another day I saw a Llama on the side of the road. Totally serious!!! Must be some sort of exotic farm?!?! lol
  • image Wipz:
    totally normal.. as long as she was walking her designated path.. as a piggy owner you are supposed to have a designated walk path to avoid spreading foot n mouth etc.

?  You're kidding, right?  In the middle of the city? normal?  

• image Excited30:

image Wipz:
    totally normal.. as long as she was walking her designated path.. as a piggy owner you are supposed to have a designated walk path to avoid spreading foot n mouth etc.

?  You're kidding, right?  In the middle of the city? normal?  

Yup... pot belly pigs are considered a pet... totally normal to harness old Bertha up and take her for a walk.. have you seen the size of them poop a scoop bags tho? Wink
  • image Wipz:
    Yup... pot belly pigs are considered a pet... totally normal to harness old Bertha up and take her for a walk.. have you seen the size of them poop a scoop bags tho? Wink

Pot belly pigs, yes. The pigs I raise in my backyard for my freezer, not so much. Pigs as pets not my thing but I do know and know of people that do.

Fun fact: Pigs, when let lose, will go feral faster than any other animal.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012 ~ TTC #2: Started 4/2014

• Awesome, was it Honey Boo Boo?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • So what may I ask Wipz and Countrygrl is the difference with a pot bellied pig? This pig just looked mostly pink to me. about the size of say a standard cat pet crate just for body size comparison. It might have even been a bit bigger.
  • image Excited30:
    So what may I ask Wipz and Countrygrl is the difference with a pot bellied pig? This pig just looked mostly pink to me. about the size of say a standard cat pet crate just for body size comparison. It might have even been a bit bigger.

A pot bellied pig is much smaller than a farm pig. Like a medium-large dog. Generally breed to be pets. Not even considered full grown until they are about 6 years old.

A stand farm pig (of which there are many breeds) is much bigger and is made to used for food. Usually only raised for 8-9 months, give or take.

• image nonasimonsen:

image Mrs MoJoRisin:
    Awesome, was it Honey Boo Boo?

On the leash being walked or walking with the leash? :P 

Haha thanks for that lol
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • image countrygrl5533:

image Wipz:

Pot belly pigs, yes. The pigs I raise in my backyard for my freezer, not so much. Pigs as pets not my thing but I do know and know of people that do.

This is why in my area (SW Michigan), you can shoot a feral pig, or even a supposed feral pig, any time of year. You can even shoot them from OUT OF YOUR CAR! It was big news last year when someone shot what they thought was a feral pig but it was actually someone's pet. Oops. They root through the crops like you wouldn't believe.

I grew up a few miles west of downtown Chicago and there was someone in my area who had a pot belly pig for a pet. Granted this was when it was a big fad in the early 90's.

• image countrygrl5533:

Goats get such a bad rap for eating anything.  Truly pigs will eat anything...  There's also a joke among the English Department of the college I graduated from that a book written before 1960 cannot be designated as "Southern Literature" unless a character gets eaten by pigs (as well as incest, a dead horse, and racism, but that's besides the point).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
    Jan'15 Oct Siggy-- "Best Halloween Costume"image 
  • image Lanatir:

image countrygrl5533:

Goats get such a bad rap for eating anything.  Truly pigs will eat anything...  There's also a joke among the English Department of the college I graduated from that a book written before 1960 cannot be designated as "Southern Literature" unless a character gets eaten by pigs (as well as incest, a dead horse, and racism, but that's besides the point).

They really do. Well, the first pig we raised wouldn't touch corn. Hated the stuff. Loved pumpkin though. We raise our own pigs. What they feed them at some farms....I don't want to eat something that ate that. However, they don't "eat humans" like you see on CSI and stuff unless they are truly starving.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards