Baby Names

Anyone tossing names due to speech issues?

Just wondering, DH has a stammer. NBD of course, but it means names with starting a K (also Q, many C) and a T are out. Also, in the dialect from his family names with a G tend to sound terrible, so we're not using those either. Luckily, we didn't need to toss any favorites because of that so far, although we like Quinn/Quentin.

I was wondering if anyone was avoiding certain names for similar reasons?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone tossing names due to speech issues?

• I'm sensitive to how names ending in -er sound in Boston.
  • Sort of.

We (my family) grew up in Brooklyn and DH's family is from Jersey.  I don't have much of an accent (I think so, at least) but my parents do and so does DH.

I love Carolina (Car-oh-lee-nah), but can imaging both of my parents saying Car-oh-line-ner.  Ick.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Loading the player...
  • Growing up I was in speech therapy for sh, j, and ch sounds. I have pretty much overcome the issues I had and most people can't tell. 2 out of my 3 siblings had the same issue and theirs continues more than mine.

I think it has to do with having a tongue that is slightly too wide, which caused the trouble with those sounds. It is much harder to focus the air properly. I won't use any names that have those sounds because I still feel self conscious sometimes. My child also might get the issue as it seems to possibly be hereditary. 

Photobucket
  • My friend has a DD named Lily, and her DS calls her Wiwy b/c he can't say Ls.  Granted, he's young still so he might grow out of it.  But she says she wishes her DS could say her DD's name. 

Her DS is 9 and her DD is 5.  So she did know about the Ls when she named her DD.

• imageplunderb:
    I'm sensitive to how names ending in -er sound in Boston.

Me too. Both MIL and FIL have insane Boston accents and I scrapped Connor because of this. It would come out "Cahhhhhhh-nah" from FIL and "Cwah-nah" from MIL.  

• We haven't but I just wanted to say, I love Quentin!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• My H has a very slight speech impediment leftover from his childhood years, and one of my favorite girl names is Cecilia.  He pronounces it seh-SILL-yuh though, instead of seh-SEEL-yuh.  I couldn't handle it, so I tossed it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My best friend had a speech impediment as a child and still struggles with Rs - she refused to give her kids names that started with that letter. I hadn't realized how deeply if affected her until her husband mentioned that fact during her first pregnancy.
  • imageHelenahhandbasket:

Sort of.

We (my family) grew up in Brooklyn and DH's family is from Jersey.  I don't have much of an accent (I think so, at least) but my parents do and so does DH.

I love Carolina (Car-oh-lee-nah), but can imaging both of my parents saying Car-oh-line-ner.  Ick.

This made me laugh!  I grew up in the Central Plains and think it's the best ever when I hear someone in my area add the -r to ends of words.  Gives me warm fuzzies.  That said, I like the name Carolina but wouldn't want to use it because my family would drag it out all Southern style - Care-oh-LIIIIII-nuuuuh. ICK for me!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker CafeMom Tickers
  • imageplunderb:
    I'm sensitive to how names ending in er sound in Boston.

Yep. I love Arthur, but DH's family have a Boston accent and that does NOT work.

My son's name has a ton of S sounds in it. We joke slightly trepidatiously about him having a lisp.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Not me, but when my sister was thinking of baby names, she rejected "Sarah" because she knew she wouldn't be able to handle her Mississippi ILs pronouncing it "Say-rah."

• I tend to sort of stutter with some words. For example, the word "firsts". I make sure to say the -sts perfectly, so I sort of stutter since it's sort of a tongue twister. I don't know of any names that are like that, but if I ever came across one, I would not use it.
  • I loved the name Sage, but our last name starts with S so it was a no go.
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • Yes, I totally understand.  We wanted a K name and fell in love with Korin ... until my niece started referring to her new cousin as "Korn".  It just wasn't going to work!
  • imagejess9802:
    My best friend had a speech impediment as a child and still struggles with Rs - she refused to give her kids names that started with that letter. I hadn't realized how deeply if affected her until her husband mentioned that fact during her first pregnancy.

Same here, DH has developed clever hiding mechanisms, like he always orders a Pepsi instead Coca Cola, and most of the time he'll pronounce the words right anyway. You just don't have to have that stressful moment at the playground where you're calling "K.... Ko... Ko...." instead of "Koryn".

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"