December 2011 Moms

Dining out with LO - recommend a placemat?

DH thinks we should start using the restaurant highchairs when we dine out with DD.  We have been using a travel highchair that we just strap to a restaurant chair.  While I do agree with him that it is a pain to bring, I like the fact that she has her own tray to put food on.  DH suggested that we get a placemat to put at the table so when DD uses the restaurant highchair we can pull her right up to the table and put her food on the placemat.  My questions....do any of you currently do this when dining out?  And if so, do you have any recommendations on a placemat to use?  I was thinking something reusable, but am not opposed to disposable ones. 

OAD November Siggy Challenge: Thanksgiving Fails

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
image image

Re: Dining out with LO - recommend a placemat?

• Summer makes one that rolls up and has a crumb catcher. I used it from 6 months to 12 months. Now I just give her a plate to eat off of.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    TTC#2 - 
    Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC # 3 June 2014
  • We have THIS ONE from Summer.  I love it!  It rolls up into the crumb catcher, so you can roll it up at the restaurant, stick it in the diaper bag, and clean it at home.  DS still isn't able to handle a plate yet (the contents would end up on the floor)...we're working on it.  
    imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks!  I was looking at that one, but I wasn't sure if there was something better.  DD cannot handle a plate yet either...she's in the "pick it up and drop it on the floor phase".  That would not be good for a restaurant.

Jesselayne - any tips on getting DD to use a plate properly?

image image
  • image EAMartin1004:
    Thanks!nbsp; I was looking at that one, but I wasn't sure if there was something better.nbsp; DD cannot handle a plate yet either...she's in the "pick it up and drop it on the floor phase".nbsp; That would not be good for a restaurant.
    Jesselayne any tips on getting DD to use a plate properly?

Just practice at home. We give her a real plate not a plastic one. She usually doesn't mess with the plate until she is done eating. Once she picks it up with both hands I take it from her and get her out of her high chair.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    TTC#2 - 
    Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo

TTC # 3 June 2014
  • We need to get brave. We usually do a restaurant high chair but still hand him the food or do a pouch!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We have always done the high charis (once he could sit up of course) then we just do our own wipe off of the table with a disinfectant wipe or baby wipe if thats all we have, and then put his food in front of him and let him go to town.

We also tip well because of the amount of food that ends up on the floor. I try to clean a bit but there is always stuff I can't get.

• image KeyLime81:
    We have THIS ONE from Summer.  I love it!  It rolls up into the crumb catcher, so you can roll it up at the restaurant, stick it in the diaper bag, and clean it at home.  DS still isn't able to handle a plate yet (the contents would end up on the floor)...we're working on it.  

we have the exact same one...but ds recently discovered that he can pull it off the table if he tries hard enough.  So now we just wipe down the table with a wipe and put his food right on there.  We did try the disposable ones too but those are even easier for ds to rip off :) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • We use the summer one at home and just wipe down the table and highchair at restaurants.
  • image asyph107:

We have always done the high charis (once he could sit up of course) then we just do our own wipe off of the table with a disinfectant wipe or baby wipe if thats all we have, and then put his food in front of him and let him go to town.

We also tip well because of the amount of food that ends up on the floor. I try to clean a bit but there is always stuff I can't get.

This is what we've always done, too, including the tip. DD2 is starting to eat off of plates now, but we really have to watch her. She threw a plate of macaroni on the floor at a restaurant recently. Oops. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.  Good idea about tipping a little extra when LO leaves a bit of a mess.

image image
  • Whispering Owlets Boutique sells a really cool placemat. It is wipable, and it rolls up easy. It also has suction cups that stick to the table. DD loves it.
    Mom To Beautiful Scarlett- Born December 5th, 2011-CatCat33
  • We carry DS's roll up bib with us (Tommee Tippee from Target) and use the disposable self-sticking placemats.  Mostly because I didn't know about the other ones, but these have worked fine for us. DS now likes to eat off of a plate, but we still put the placemats down just in case.
  • I also have the rubber placement but never bring it because it takes up too much room in my bag. Instead I use the disposable sticky ones. I LOVE them! They work work wonderfully.

IVF #1: 4-11-11= Transferred 1 beautiful blastocyst I named "Nugget"
    5 Snowbabies! Beta#1 4/21= BFP! 226; Beta#2 4/25= 944
    DS born 12/14/11

Baby #2 FET Nov/Dec 2013

12/13 Beta#1=BFP 349; 12/16 Beta#2=1,089. First ultrasound 12/26. DS#2 born 8/8/14
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
    ~~PAIF/SAIF Always Welcome~~
    photo 3e06931e-648e-4998-851d-7a1248b7c7c5_zpsec6052f1.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards