3rd Trimester

flu like symptoms before labor?

I went on a tour of the hospital the other day and the nurse who gave the tour told us that many times before a woman goes into labor she starts feeling flu like symptoms... Such as a stomach ache, diarrhea, ect. Did any of you STM have this happen to you? 

Re: flu like symptoms before labor?

• Diarrhea is normal... but it's weird that a nurse would describe that as "flu-like" since the flu doesn't cause diarrhea. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Actually both of my high school friends who went in to labor in the last month had stomach sickness and diarrhea the day or two before labor. ( I remember the one posting about sending her husband for chicken noodle soup and 7 up) They also had back pain and cramping.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • In a tour of our hospital, that's exactly how the nurse explained it to DH & I- "Flu-like" symptoms. My sister went through this, thinking she had a virus, but she in fact, went into labor!
  • That is odd.  I don't remember anything out of the ordinary... Ordinary being how crappy I felt through my whole pregnancy.  

Plus, it's flu season anyway so you could actually be getting sick which wouldn't be any fun at all :(

Good luck!! 

• imagedrpayne:
    Diarrhea is normal... but it's weird that a nurse would describe that as "flulike" since the flu doesn't cause diarrhea.nbsp;

Diarrhea can definitely be a flu symptom. I ended up in the hospital with the flu and has horrible diarrhea.

• imagea13049:
    imagedrpayne:
    Diarrhea is normal... but it's weird that a nurse would describe that as "flulike" since the flu doesn't cause diarrhea.nbsp;
    Diarrhea can definitely be a flu symptom. I ended up in the hospital with the flu and has horrible diarrhea.

Yes, diarrhea is one of the normal side effects of flu.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Totally did with DD. I remember joking with DH that I was no longer afraid of pooping on the table... there was nothing left! 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Im 39wks today and Ive had a runny nose and cough and sore throat and diarrhea for almost a week now and no baby :(

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemontie99:

imagea13049:
    imagedrpayne:

No, actually it is not. It can accompany the flu, but it is uncommon and typically only happens in children, not adults.

Symptoms include:

• fever (usually high)
    • severe aches and pains in the joints and muscles and around the eyes
    • generalized weakness
    • ill appearance with warm, flushed skin and red, watery eyes
    • headache
    • dry cough
    • sore throat and watery discharge from your nose

Most people mistake gastroenteritis for the flu because it is so commonly thought that the flu involves vomiting and diarrhea. 
    BFP 5.21.12 ~~ Born 1.28.13
    BFP 8.14.15 ~~ Due 4.22.16
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagemontie99:

imagea13049:
    imagedrpayne:

My original post disappeared. This is what I get for mobile bumping.
    Regardless, the flu is a respiratory issue. I suppose you could become dehydrated from the flu and get diarrhea, but it's not an actual symptom of the flu not what people call the stomach flu according to the Mayo Clinic.
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • For me, it was more "about to get my period" symptoms. I usually have stomach cramps, bloating, and diarrhea right before my period comes, and this was just like that but worse. This happened the morning I went into labor (felt fine the night before, so it wasn't like I experienced it for days).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"