June 2013 Moms

Buying bras

Yes, I know, another boobies post.

I am really picky about things like bra fit and texture, so I have been living in wire free cotton VS bras for years.

Now The Girls are out of control, size wise, and I'm blanking a bit on how to proceed. Do I go to VS, get fitted, and buy the brand I prefer? Do I go ahead and buy nursing bras since I know I will need them? Is my cup size just going to increase again?

How are you guys going about this? If you are switching to nursing bras, any particular brand you prefer? I tried on the Gilligan ones at Target yesterday but didn't find them very comfortable..

BFP#1: 05/07/12, MC 05/13/12. BFP#2: 07/23/12, CP 07/28/12.
8dpo progesterone = 5.8. Pom juice + progesterone = BFP#3: 10/15/12, EDD 6/27/13.
Betas: 10dpo=29,14dpo=217, 24dpo=11835. HB at 5w4d=81bpm, 7w6d=154bpm!
Great NT scan at 11w4d, HB=160bpm. A/S at 19w6d: We're team blue!
Perfect baby boy born via unmedicated delivery on 6/10/13 at 37w4d.

Re: Buying bras

• If you like wire free bras I suggest going to desination or motherhood maternity if you have those nearby. They have the best wire free bras. Once I got pregnant with my son I couldn't wear underwire because they hurt so bad and when I was nursing I would get plugged ducts if I wore an underwire bra.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't really have much help here but I will say to not buy nursing brass yet bc the girls will probably grow more before you need them.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I bought nursing bras at this point with DD1.  I bought the bravado bliss and they worked great through pregnancy and BFing.  They come with bra extenders (great for during pg) and the cup sizes are a range, like c/d, so they worked for me.  Now when my milk first came in, I had to just use nursing tanks, but that was only about 3 or 4 days.
    Formerly Photocat82, but the bump is fabulous and I somehow ended up with a corrupted account. image Adventures in Randomness Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Well I purchased a nursing bra that fit really well during month 8, when all the books say to buy them.  Well, once I got my milk in, it didn't fit.  Way too small.  The first couple of months I lived in sports bras that I purchased that were a couple sizes bigger than I would normally wear.  Once I had to go back to the real world, I purchased a bra (non-nursing - they didn't make nursing bras that went that big!?!), and used that. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • I've just started buying nursing bras that have cups that are meant to cover a range of sizes.

The Melinda G soft cup tee shirt bra is my favorite.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • IMO, Bravado is the way to go for nursing bras/tanks.  Especially if you are a larger cup size.  Like pp said, the nursing stuff is usually a range and should carry you through pregnancy and nursing. I lived in my Bravado nursing tanks for a few weeks after C was born.

You pay for the quality, but it was well worth it to me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I never found a nursing bra that worked for me. When my milk came in my boobs went up a couple of sizes and then slowly back down over the next 6 weeks. I lives in the very fitted target nursing tanks, and so did my whole group of girlfriends. They were great for holding in your belly and providing nursing coverage for your mid section. And I didn't have to worry about the ever changing size of my breasts. They were literally different sizes from one day to the next and from one to the other at any given moment. I was also producing a ton o milk.
  • I got fitted at VS and then went to JCP to get my bras. They were cheap and very comfortable. I do the wire free bras too....and I am up to a 38 DD. Goo!!!!
  • I bought nursing bras early and was glad that I did since they carried me through for a long time.  I was not that big to begin with, so I never got so big that they didn't fit.  For nursing, they suggest no underwires so that you don't clog any ducts.  I liked the ones from destination maternity.  I also liked a nursing tank from Target - was super comfy.  I tried the Bravado, but didn't work for someone who is a little less busty.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have NEVER been able to find a bra that is comfortable, EVER. Then I came across these beauties from MM and LOVE them

http://www.motherhood.com/Product.asp?Product_Id=911600361&MasterCategory_Id=MC29

They're wireless, comfy, not that terribly high cut wireless either and not super thick material (so you can actually wear real shirts with them). And they're pretty :)

Up until I found these I lived in just plain nursing tanks without a bra (I didn't go out much for the first several weeks and when I did it was winter so I was wearing a coat anyway, I also got the silicone nursing pads, "lily pads" smoothed my nips so I could go braless at families houses). The target ones were okay, a little thick though. The MM ones were nice too, but a little long. Those ones were at least closer to a normal cami thickness. 

I'd buy a bra now, but don't expect to wear it for the first month or so... your girls will grow... a lot, the MM ladies say 1-2 full sizes is normal. Mine went from a D to an E for the first month after my milk came in.

Proud babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating SAHM of 2U2!
    imageLilypie - (qCSN)Lilypie - (5rzN)imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Thank you guys so much! All of this information is really helpful.

BFP#1: 05/07/12, MC 05/13/12. BFP#2: 07/23/12, CP 07/28/12.
    8dpo progesterone = 5.8. Pom juice + progesterone = BFP#3: 10/15/12, EDD 6/27/13.
    Betas: 10dpo=29,14dpo=217, 24dpo=11835. HB at 5w4d=81bpm, 7w6d=154bpm!
    Great NT scan at 11w4d, HB=160bpm. A/S at 19w6d: We're team blue!
    Perfect baby boy born via unmedicated delivery on 6/10/13 at 37w4d.

• I bought a 2 pack of Genie Bras at Target about 2 weeks ago. I felt silly, but OMG, they are so comfortable and will continue to wok well during this transitional period. 

http://www.geniebra.com/

My Ovulation Chart

TTC #1 Since July 2012-BFP Sept 27, EDD June 9, 2013, Arrived June 14, 2013
    My blog-The Wino That I Know
  • image jessiegirl10.18:
    IMO, Bravado is the way to go for nursing bras/tanks.nbsp; Especially if you are a larger cup size.nbsp; Like pp said, the nursing stuff is usually a range and should carry you through pregnancy and nursing. I lived in my Bravado nursing tanks for a few weeks after C was born.You pay for the quality, but it was well worth it to me.

I hate Bravado bras and I have gigantic boobs.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image emolm:
    image jessiegirl10.18:
    IMO, Bravado is the way to go for nursing bras/tanks.nbsp; Especially if you are a larger cup size.nbsp; Like pp said, the nursing stuff is usually a range and should carry you through pregnancy and nursing. I lived in my Bravado nursing tanks for a few weeks after C was born.You pay for the quality, but it was well worth it to me.
    I hate Bravado bras and I have gigantic boobs.

I love Bravado and am a 34G.  It probably just depends on your shape and build.  

Formerly Photocat82, but the bump is fabulous and I somehow ended up with a corrupted account. image Adventures in Randomness Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Definitely go and get fitted. I did and I love my new comfy bra. I am clueless when buying them, too. I hate underwires or anything uncomfortable, and the saleswoman in Sears did an amazing job helping me.
    TTC since 2004 Ectopic 2005, lost right tube. Multiple miscarriages. BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards