February 2013 Moms

I don't get it.

Maybe I am just being cranky bc I'm 38 weeks pregnant, but I don't understand the fascination with late-pregnancy appointments.  I have had no fewer than 5 family members call me today to inquire about my appointment.

"How was your appointment???!?"
"....fiiiiiine.......why?"
"Well?  Any news?"
"Well I peed in the cup without peeing on my hand.  And I only gained one pound last week.....?"
Seriously, people, I pee in a cup, I stand on the scale, and the midwife says, "Yay, no protein in your urine!  Call me when your water breaks!"  That's it.  And even if I *did* have information about the dilation or effacement of my cervix, I'm not about to tell my father-in-law.  I do not understand the fascination.  Please tell me I'm not the only one with crazy family.

Missed m/c discovered 3/15/12 at 8w2d: "Henry."

imageView Full Size Image
Jack 04/29/10 dairy, egg, peanut and seasonal allergies; Sensory Processing Disorder
Rhys 01/25/13 Peanut and tree nut allergy, MSPI
Lilypie - (q2ek) Lilypie - (nqAF)

"We are in Buckingham Palace, the very heart of the British nation.  Sherlock Holmes, put your trousers ON!"

Re: I don't get it.

• Maybe they're just waiting for you to tell them how you peed in a cup so they can then tell you how horrible your doctor is Stick out tongue

I kid, I kid.

I hit 38-39 weeks and usually just shut off the phone because I get so annoyed with all of the nosy calls.

DS1 - 8/07  DS2 - 1/09  DD1 - 3/11  DD2 - 2/13
  • You're definitely not alone - though I'm fascinated with your appointment too if you managed to pee in a cup without peeing on your hand!!
    lovelylittleworld
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP#2 1/12/12 ~ Missed M/C 8w2d
  • I'm not trying to be snarky but I honestly don't understand the peeing in a cup without getting it on your hand. I haven't had this issue. Am I doing it wrong? LOL. Put the cup under you and pee? 
    --Married 4 Years - PCOS - Insulin Resistant - Irregular Cycles - TTC 24mon - Metformin - Progesterone - Phentermine - 40 pounds lost - 3 rounds Clomid - DH 1% sperm morphology - BFP June 23rd - Paxton born 2/15/2013 - August 2013 Let's Have Another Baby- Charting Cycles with OPC and Charting Temps, No Ovulation Jan- Start clomid Feb 2014  --
  • Wait, wait, wait... you're saying it's possible to pee in the cup WITHOUT peeing on your hand? I don't believe you :)
  • image morgann2010:
    I finally told someone "everything is normal. Im not giving you details about my vag."

::high five:: 

Jack 04/29/10 dairy, egg, peanut and seasonal allergies; Sensory Processing Disorder

"We are in Buckingham Palace, the very heart of the British nation.  Sherlock Holmes, put your trousers ON!"

• My MW doesn't even do internal checks so I literally have NOTHING to report, except one time when I forgot I was holding the cup in my hand and just went ahead and peed in the toilet and then looked at my empty cup thinking "crap..."
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic      image
    View Full Size Image

• image ByeByeBooze:
    Wait, wait, wait... you're saying it's possible to pee in the cup WITHOUT peeing on your hand? I don't believe you :

It CAN be done! I also accomplished this today, completely without being able to see anything! It was the first time since I was in the 20s weeks lol

BabyFetus Ticker
  • image DC2London:

image morgann2010:
    I finally told someone "everything is normal. Im not giving you details about my vag."

::high five:: 

This made me lol

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Haha I have mastered the peeing in a cup without peeing on my hand! WHOO! lol But see I'm opposite, when they ask about my appointment I have no shame! haha Yep I'm 1cm dilated, 70% effaced... (blank stare...) "That means that my cervix is thinning nicely..." ;-) and I lost my mucous plug! They learned quickly to stop asking. haha
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • image jessicalgilmore:
    My MW doesn't even do internal checks so I literally have NOTHING to report, except one time when I forgot I was holding the cup in my hand and just went ahead and peed in the toilet and then looked at my empty cup thinking "crap..."

Exactly, i'm not having cervical checks anyway, and even if I were, I wouldn't be sharing the details.

And I definitely almost did that exact thing today, LOL, I started peeing and suddenly realized, "OH!  The cup!  Shoot!" 

• ha i could have written this. i am also 38 weeks and had an appointment today and the most eventful thing was that for probably the first time in weeks i didn't pee on my own hand....and beyond that i've got no news for you, MIL.

• My mom asked me today if I had seen the doctor lately. I said, "Yeah last week." She asked, "Well, what did he say?" I was like, "He said, your blood pressure is fine. See you in two weeks." She got huffy and wanted to know what he told me about when the baby would be here! Like the OB can predict the date and time of baby's arrival!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • image apastinack:
    I'm not trying to be snarky but I honestly don't understand the peeing in a cup without getting it on your hand. I haven't had this issue. Am I doing it wrong? LOL. Put the cup under you and pee? 

I never once peed on myself with my first pregnancy! This one, can't hit the cup for anything! I think the catheter from the first actually messed up the angle of my uretha to be honest...
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • So far with pregnancy and my last ive only peed on myself once. But I still have 3 more weeks so things could change.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I'm baffled too--what top secret info do they think we're hiding?? "oh, yeah, I actually had the baby--forgot to tell you!"

and peeing in the cup is becoming a serious challenge--I can't see over my belly to position the stupid cup right.  

I like yarn: Learner's Per-knit

Preggo blog: There's No D#$% Stork
  • SERIOUSLY! I don't know what my MIL thinks happens at these appointments. I am not even on weekly appointments at this point because I am low risk. When I told MIL I don't have another appointment for a while, she basically acted like I was lying.

I like cookies.

• Omg i know! MIL calls me after every appointment and it was fine when i had things like ultrasounds but now that I've been going weekly? Come on! What does she think? The Dr is going to tell me what the exact day baby is going to come? Or that i went into labor at the Dr and didn't tell her??? I pee in a cup and hear her heartbeat. I know she's just excited and everything but sheesh.
  • Oh my goodness I was just telling my DH yesterday that he needs to tell his mom to stop texting me about my cervix. I swear my MIL must have a timer set on her phone for when my appointment is and text me at that very moment.
    She is totally not satisfied with me saying "the dr said everything is fine, I go back next week" I mean she actually asked if they checked my cervix and how dilated I was. It honestly just baffled me. Lets not have every conversation be about my cervix!
    imageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

BabyFetus Ticker

Married to DH 10.29.11
    DD born 1.26.13
    LO #2 due 6.19.14

• I'm jealous of your mad pee skillz
  • My MIL is starting to do this too. I'm super annoyed by it. There isn't much to say, but I always feel like she's waiting for more.... so I just try to make things sound more interesting than they are just to fill awkward silence. Weird.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 :)
    BFP #2 on 1/3/14, EDD 9/13/14

• Oh my gosh this hasn't started for me yet this time but with DD DH's dad wanted to know so many details (thankfully not about my vag) where is the hospital, whats the address, who is the doctor, what hours is the doctor at the hospital, how far is it from your house, whats the best way to get there from your house (meaning do you take a highway or local roads) He was in NY we were in CA, he was not coming out to see us or DD why did he think he was gonna do with all that info?

Or when my SIL misinterpreted something I said. Don't ask me how and announced on FB that I had had my baby 3 and a half weeks before she really came! I got a call from my mom asking why we didn't tell her!!!!

Some people...Super Angry

someecards.com - There should be a way to stay married to your partner but divorce your insane in-laws.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I haven't been getting these crazy questions from my family (or DH's family) but from "friends" on FB who I don't know that well! Sure, we went to the same high school and graduated together almost 15 years ago... I'm absolutely going to discuss my ladybits on the internet! WTF?!
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

• "Are you on your weekly appointments now?  Oh, that's so exciting!"

Yes, thank you complete stranger. 

Little lady born 2/12/13 :)
  • image morgann2010:

This. I find it strange that my IL's out right asked "Anything going on in the downtown department?" Indifferent I laughed and told them the only thing they needed to know about my vagina is that that's where the baby comes out, end of conversation. 

• Ha! I was so proud of myself this week for not peeing on my hand!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I had this exact conversation with my mother on Friday. Yup. I even included the 'the midwives don't check your cervix, you just go into labour and then you call...but I'm 35 weeks and I'm hoping I have at least a month left". Yup. I hear your situation! 
    TTC 1: Off BCP late October 2011. BFP #1 Jan 2, 2012; EDD September 5, 2012; m/c Jan 12, 2012. BFP #2 June 14, 2012; EDD February 22, 2013.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
    My super all about me birth story:
    Then: Fraternal twins born at 26 weeks in 1983. Me: 640 grams. Brother: 840 grams. Family kept watch in the NICU for 5 months before being allowed to go home. On oxygen for a year and a half after being released.
    Now: Me: PhD student and married. Brother: Lawyer and married.
    Dad's wedding speech: Thank you to all the family who stood watch and prayed for our children's survival. Well now the little scrawny chicken is married. Who would've thought? (Thanks dad for making me laugh and cry at the same time).
    My BFP Chart
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic