February 2013 Moms

How long does it take for Tylenol to bring down a fever?

I came down with the flu last night and am now running a fever. I took Tylenol about 50 min ago and my fever is still going up. At my NST today LOs heartrate was elevated and they said if I can't get the fever down I will have to go to L and D.

So how long should it take to kick in?
View Full Size Image
Lilypie - (kxiS)
Lilypie - (BG2d)

Re: How long does it take for Tylenol to bring down a fever?

• When I was in L&D Tuesday night they told me if my fever didn't go down or went up within an hour of taking Tylenol to go in. I would probably call and see if they don't want you to try another dose and then go in if that doesn't work.
  • It varies according to your metabolism and the specific kind of acetaminophen.  They do make rapid release Tylenol that gets into your blood stream and gets going really quickly.  I usually see a difference in about 30 minutes with regular acetaminophen/Tylenol.

If you crush the pill up a little bit and take it with a spoonful of applesauce or yogurt, it gets into your blood stream faster.

I'm so sorry you have the flu!  You poor woman! 

Missed m/c discovered 3/15/12 at 8w2d: "Henry."

imageView Full Size Image
    Jack 04/29/10 dairy, egg, peanut and seasonal allergies; Sensory Processing Disorder
    Rhys 01/25/13 Peanut and tree nut allergy, MSPI
    Lilypie - (q2ek) Lilypie - (nqAF)

"We are in Buckingham Palace, the very heart of the British nation.  Sherlock Holmes, put your trousers ON!"

• Yes usually you would see some sort of difference in around 30 min, maybe not gone, but slowly has started going down in that time with Tylenol, I'm not sure about other brands. I would call and see if they want you to try another dose first as well, or if they just want you to go straight in. Hope you get better.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    photo D0EE104210C440E48E28B53BA940865Bashx_zpsff62f0b1.gif photo A24F501B345347968B2BC922AD7C0613ashx_zpsf08f7401.gif
  • image DC2London:

It varies according to your metabolism and the specific kind of acetaminophen.  They do make rapid release Tylenol that gets into your blood stream and gets going really quickly.  I usually see a difference in about 30 minutes with regular acetaminophen/Tylenol.

If you crush the pill up a little bit and take it with a spoonful of applesauce or yogurt, it gets into your blood stream faster.

I'm so sorry you have the flu!  You poor woman! 

All of this. I'd call and see what they want you to do. You poor mama, I hope you get better soon! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would think after 50 minutes it would start taking some effect. I really hope it starts working soon for you.
  • I'd expect an hour. When we reassess a patients temp  at work we do it at about an hour(give or take 15 min) to make sure the med has had a chance to work.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • How much did you take...dr told me I could take up to 1000mg every 4-6 hours. 500mg didn't seem to bring the fever down but 1000mg did, it was still creeping upwards for maybe an hour after I had only taken the 500mg.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    20120611-154610-DSC_5742 imageimage
  • Thanks ladies. It seems that it's taking a little over an hour for my body to respond. The temp steadily increases the last hour before I'm due for another round. Then it slowly decreases as its kicking in. So far I've been able to stay on top of it though and LO is still moving away in there.
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)