October 2012 Moms

Sick baby

FTM here and LO has caught a cold the daycare provider's children have. He has literally not slept more than a half hour. I am currently holding him upright on the couch :/ I can hear him having drainage, he's coughing on it, crying, nose sounds stuffy. What can I do? Utterly exhausted and want him to feel better
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Sick baby

• Do you have a nurse help line to call? They might could recommend some OTC med to help. Vicks rub or something?

After 7 years of no ovulation...
    BFP#1 10/24/11 ~ EDD 6/29/12 ~ Natural m/c 11/2/11
    BFP#2 2/3/12 ~ Alice born 9/26/12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Oct Angel Babies
  • When my baby had a cold, the pediatrician recommand to use salinex in my baby's nose and then use a nasal pump (don't know the real name) to extract mucus.

(the "pump" has to be the one you use with your mouth not the one you manually pump) 

• Lots of saline drops and nose suction. Prop up the head of the mattress to give it an incline. Cool mist humidifier in baby's room. Vicks baby rub on baby's chest and feet. Spend some time in a warm steamy bathroom to help loosen mucous. Encourage lots of fluids BM or formula to keep secretions moving. I've obviously dealt with this way too many times! Hope LO starts to feel better soon! It's so hard when you feel so helpless. :[

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

View Raw Image'>

• image sdude:
    then use a nasal pump don't know the real name to extract mucus.the "pump" has to be the one you use with your mouth not the one you manually pumpnbsp;

I'm thinking you're talking about a nebulizer. And I agree.
    Just took lo in today for the same thing. He's almost 3 months and they told us to use the humidifier, and then do neb. treatments 3 times a day.
  • DS had a cold/fever last week...did lots of saline drops & suction with humidifier at night...thankfully it's pretty cleared up now...if your LO gets really bad sitting in the bathroom with a steamy shower helps too...see your ped if running a fever or labored breathing....just to rule out more serious things like RSV...

• All of this. Our LO is sick right now and this is what we have been doing. We also put him in his bathtub last night with really warm water and put a warm washcloth on his chest and let him lay there for a few minutes. That helped too. We were told NO vicks at this age because it can hurt their lungs if they inhale too much.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Snebel84:

All of this. Our LO is sick right now and this is what we have been doing. We also put him in his bathtub last night with really warm water and put a warm washcloth on his chest and let him lay there for a few minutes. That helped too. We were told NO vicks at this age because it can hurt their lungs if they inhale too much.

Thanks everyone and thanks for letting me know this about vicks as my aunt suggested vicks baby rub! Won't be doing that now.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image