3rd Trimester

off topic social assistance

Im 7 months pregnant living at home with my parents , i am 19 years old and i do not have enough hours or ei , is there anyone out there on social assistance that can give me additional information , how much do you recieve etc , ive tried calling but everyone seems to be so confused by what i am asking , thanks !

Re: off topic social assistance

• Can you contact your health department?  I was 19 with my first - and no longer a full time student so I was not on my parents insurance.  The HD helped me get  nutrition and medical assistance.  Baby automatically went on Medicaid for the first 5 years - don't know if they still do that or not but you can ask.  As far as income assistance, you may not qualify since you live at home.  The health department folks may also be able to turn you onto what other assistance is available such as Rx and child care. .

Our Little Miracle - Raymond Clifford Jr Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLoisLane23:
    If you are living with your parents, probably not. All the assistance programs count household income and therefore, your parents would have ot show proof of income which would probably put you over the income guidelines.

Not always and I guess it depends where you live. I'm in Canada and when I went on EI, they didn't ask for my husbands info at all.
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Call your local health department or social service office. We were on food stamps when DD1 was born and they had a diagnostic thing online to see if you would qualify so you didn't have to waste your time in the office. DD was also on medicaid for awhile. It's worth a shot. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageLoisLane23:

imageRussianMommy:
    imageLoisLane23:
    If you are living with your parents, probably not. All the assistance programs count household income and therefore, your parents would have ot show proof of income which would probably put you over the income guidelines.
    Not always and I guess it depends where you live. I'm in Canada and when I went on EI, they didn't ask for my husbands info at all.

In the US it goes by household income.

doesn't seem fair. what if you live with a roommate who makes a lot of money?? they won't give it to you? 

TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • imageMamabearox:
    Im 7 months pregnant living at home with my parents , i am 19 years old and i do not have enough hours or ei , is there anyone out there on social assistance that can give me additional information , how much do you recieve etc , ive tried calling but everyone seems to be so confused by what i am asking , thanks !

My friend was in the same situation years ago.  She was able to obtain WIC and I'm not sure what else.  She was also a student so I don't know if that made a difference.  Try calling your local social services office.  There are tons of programs for women and children out there. 

You should also seek some assistance in getting something legal set up for child support.  My friend did not do this and it was very difficult later in life, especially now that the girl is 11 and the dad wants to be involved all of the sudden. 

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLoisLane23:

imageRussianMommy:
    imageLoisLane23:

I was on assistance when I had my son and was living with my mom. I didn't try for actual welfare but I had the other things like WIC, subsidized childcare, Medicaid coverage. They never asked my mothers income.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I make good money just dont have enough hours for ei as i just got out of college , i only want to go on it now until about 2 months after the little one is born then ill go back to work , it wouldnt be for long , just to not get behind on my loans and insurance etc , im in NB and dont think we have WIC , i never heard anything about it
  • imageRussianMommy:
    imageLoisLane23:

imageRussianMommy:
    imageLoisLane23:

doesn't seem fair. what if you live with a roommate who makes a lot of money?? they won't give it to you? 

"Household" doesn't literally mean who actually lives in your house but as a family unit, who is being provided for? Since her parents are providing for her they count as one family. In my actual house it's my mom, me and my grandparents but my "household" is just my mom and I since she doesn't provide for my grandparents and their finances are separate. It's a pretty confusing system. Financial aid uses the same definition of "household".

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • imageMamabearox:
    I make good money just dont have enough hours for ei as i just got out of college , i only want to go on it now until about 2 months after the little one is born then ill go back to work , it wouldnt be for long , just to not get behind on my loans and insurance etc , im in NB and dont think we have WIC , i never heard anything about it

WIC is a US term, it stand for women and children and is a small food allowance. Maybe other Canadian moms can help you out with something similar. What exactly do you need? Actual cash assistance or would food/diapers help? Here a lot of churches have resources for moms that provide diapers and food and formula if you need it. You don't have to be a member or even a Christian, it's a community outreach thing churches do. I'm going to google some things in your province and see what I can find.

ETA try these websites

https://www.capss.com/findacenter/newbrunswick

https://www.womenscarecenter.ca/contact.php

https://www.campaignlifecoalition.com/index.php?p=Pregnancy_help

These are pregnancy centers, their primary focus is to get you to not have an abortion but they also offer maternity services and support after the baby gets here. If this isn't the kind of thing you're looking for let me know and I'll try to find something else but since I don't know exactly what you need this is my best guess. Good luck mama!

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • Thank you so much for your help !! Its really appreciated !
  • You need to call social services in your county in the US. There is WIC, medicaid, subsidized child care, and food stamps. My  best friend lives with her parents but since she provides for her son she is still able to get everything (but food) for her and her son. Parents income does not always count.

Its very unlikey you will be able to get cash assistance. WIC is women child infant. You get vouchers for formula, baby food and healthy food for you and the baby. You get cereal, beans, fruit/veggies, cheese etc. It is too help with you food bill. Medicaid is state insurance for your child. Pregnant women can get it to. It is income limited also. Subsidized childcare is usually called title 20. You find an approved daycare and the government pays a certain amount and you pay the copayment (it can be really low as in 2 bucks or a lot higher depending on income) You have to be working or in school for this and its income limited. With food assistance you get a certain amount of money usually on a debit card used only for groceries.

Call your counties department of health and family services. They should help you.

My mom 10/8/1959-10/31/2011 image Dylan image
  • imageamberdl28:

You need to call social services in your county in the US. There is WIC, medicaid, subsidized child care, and food stamps. My  best friend lives with her parents but since she provides for her son she is still able to get everything (but food) for her and her son. Parents income does not always count.

Its very unlikey you will be able to get cash assistance. WIC is women child infant. You get vouchers for formula, baby food and healthy food for you and the baby. You get cereal, beans, fruit/veggies, cheese etc. It is too help with you food bill. Medicaid is state insurance for your child. Pregnant women can get it to. It is income limited also. Subsidized childcare is usually called title 20. You find an approved daycare and the government pays a certain amount and you pay the copayment (it can be really low as in 2 bucks or a lot higher depending on income) You have to be working or in school for this and its income limited. With food assistance you get a certain amount of money usually on a debit card used only for groceries.

Call your counties department of health and family services. They should help you.

All of this. I lived with my parents when I had my 1st child at the age of 21, and I got all of that assistance and their income did not count. Just because you live with someone doesn't mean that your share a "household" in the eyes of DHS. Before my husband and I got married, he was not part of my household and I got insurance for myself and my daughter. My daughter still doesn't have to count his income on her case because he isn't her father or guardian. The system is kind of crazy, so you can't know what you will get unless you apply. Just call your local DHS office and apply, they are the only ones who can tell you exactly what you are eligible for. You'll get different answers on here because everyone's case is different and honestly, the system works on a case by case basis even though there are supposed to be guidelines.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"