April 2013 Moms

Fittings wedding

Hi ladies! Hooray on being in 3rd trimester! Need some advice...I am at 27 weeks, due April 14th and in a wedding June 1st. I have to order my bridesmaid dress now. Any advice on what size to order? I assume I'll have to get it tailored but how much bigger should I order it? depressingly, I am at a size 14 at this stage. How much bigger am I likely to get and how much will I "shrink" in the 6 weeks after delivery? Any advice would be very appreciated!

Re: Fittings wedding

• Hmm, that's tough.  Is your gain on the minimal side and "all belly", or have you gained a bit all over (which is harder to lose I think)?  I was in a wedding 8 weeks pp last time, and I bought a dress that was 1 size bigger than my normal size.  I had tried it on & bought it when I was about 4 months pg, assuming I'd look about the same at 4 months as I did 8 weeks after, and it actually fit fine - I never bothered getting it tailored.  I was "all belly" that pg though and gained less than 25lbs, so I was pretty much back to normal (a little pooch & bigger boobs aside) 6 weeks later.

You may want to go up 2 sizes to be on the safe side - at least then you can tailor it smaller as needed.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageblueandgray:
    Hmm, that's tough.nbsp; Is your gain on the minimal side andnbsp;"all belly", or have you gained a bit all over which is harder to lose I think?nbsp; I was in a wedding 8 weeks pp last time, and I bought a dress that was 1 size bigger than my normal size.nbsp; I had tried it on amp; bought it when I was about 4 months pg, assuming I'd look about the same at 4 months as I did 8 weeks after, and it actually fit fine I never bothered getting it tailored.nbsp; Inbsp;was "all belly" that pg though and gained less than 25lbs, so I was pretty much back to normal a little pooch amp; bigger boobs aside 6 weeks later.
    You may want to go up 2 sizes to be on the safe side at least then you can tailor it smaller as needed.

Good thoughts, thanks. The gain is mostly all over because I'm tall so my belly probably looks 5 months pregnant instead of just shy of 7 months. And if I'm being honest, I've gained a little bit more than I should so your advice on it coming off quickly or not! is helpful. Thanks.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm due april 10th and in a wedding on June 1st too, so I feel ya girl!

When DH and I got married in 2010 I was a size 6, the wedding I was in in April I was an 8, and now I'm a 12 cuz of these crazy boobies. The seamstress at Alfred Angelo told me that I should go ahead and get the 12 since my boobs won't be any smaller by then since I want to breastfeed.

I would definitely get either the 14 or 12 since you won't really be able to alter it until the end of April. Hopefully the dress is loose fitting and not one of the skin tight types. Let us know what you end up doing and GL!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

imageimage
  • Ugh, I was in your position last time. I ended up ordering a size two sizes bigger than I normally was for three months post partum. It backfired because I lost so much weight and they could only take the dress in two sizes. I could literally pull it off without unzipping it and had to hold it up for the entire wedding/reception. Its impossible to say what your body is going to do post labor, but generally they can take it or let out two sizes. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I used to work at a Bridal Salon and while it can vary from person to person and from dress to dress, we found that if you ordered 1 size up from your normal size that typically worked well with minimal alterations.  Especially considering you can't really work out to much during that first six weeks. 

I will say that there were a few occassions, like what the PP said, where they did lose weight very quickly and were back in their own size, but we could still take it in.

Letting out is typically more complicated.  We could never guarantee 2 sizes could be let out because it all depends on the seam allowance on the dress.  I would ask about that when you select your size. 

A good Bridal Salon will walk you through the options with the dress if you explain the situation to them. 

Sara B BabyFruit Ticker VOTE on my Name List
  • Thanks for all the good advice!
  • Where are you ordering from? I was in a wedding a couple weeks ago, and was able to buy a few sized from DB online, then return the ones that didn't work. They shipped super fast too! You could order it a couple weeks ahead of time and have lots of time to spare.
    DS April 2013
    Baby #2 due August 2015

• imagekmitch1:
    Where are you ordering from? I was in a wedding a couple weeks ago, and was able to buy a few sized from DB online, then return the ones that didn't work. They shipped super fast too! You could order it a couple weeks ahead of time and have lots of time to spare.

It's a Bill Levkof dress but it's all long distance for me. I'm in Chicago but the wedding is in Philadelphia and they want to order the dresses together from the same store in Philly because I think then there is a discount for doing so. Also to make sure they are in the same dye lot. But good thought, thanks for the suggestion.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"