Working Moms
Options

s/o re meals/cooking - what did your mom (or dad) cook when you were a kid?

2»

Re: s/o re meals/cooking - what did your mom (or dad) cook when you were a kid?

• Options

My mother did the cooking in our family.  We ate mashed potatoes, a steamed frozen veggie, and a meat every day of the week, except on Fridays, when the meat would be replaced by fish fingers.  Ew. I will never eat another fish finger in my life.

My husband's mother does the cooking in their family, and cooks traditional caribbean foods.

My husband and I split the cooking.  He's better at it than I am, and more adventurous.  I'm better at meal planning.  We have about 15 standard meals we make in rotation, depending on the season (lots of stews and crockpot in winter, salads and grilling in summer).  I'm a cookbook fan, and rely on recipes.  My husband likes cooking shows and just making stuff up as he goes.  Somehow it works for him haha. 

Neither one of us were taught by our mothers, so we're basically self-taught (with mixed results).  That's something I'd like to do differently with our kids - I'd like them in the kitchen with us "helping" as soon as they can stand.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    AgoAgo member

imagekatieh1017:
    My mom SAH until my youngest brother was in HS. She cooked every night. We didn't have anything fancy, meatloaf, Salisbury steak, pasta, chicken, pork chops, steak always with a veggie and starch. Veggies always from a can. Never had hamburger helper until i met my H. I still love her food! 

This is my mom's food to a "t"

University of Kansas alum Geoff Folker applies food coloring to his snow sculpture at his home on Park Street in Olathe, Kan., on Sunday, March 24, 2013.  A storm that dumped up to 15 inches of snow on parts of Colorado and Kansas is making its way east, with winter storm warnings and advisories issued for today and tomorrow as far east as Pennsylvania. (AP Photo/The Kansas City Star, John Sleezer)

January OAD Siggy Challenge: Creative Snow Sculptures

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My mom cooked everyday type meals and she was as SAHM until I was in the 5th grade (I'm the oldest).

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Options

My Mom SAH until we were in high school, and is still an excellent cook. Makes almost everything from scratch, I don't think I had box meals until high school or college. We rarely ate out at fast food or restaurants outside of traveling or occasional pizza night.  

She taught me how to cook a few things, I wish she had taught me more, and I really enjoy cooking. Honestly one of the only things I dislike about being a working parent is not having time to cook more elaborate meals during the week because I enjoy doing it. 

We strive to avoid processed foods as much as possible, so we do a lot of crock pot meals, cooking a big batch of stew/chili and freezing extra, making a whole roast chicken to have leftovers, etc.

imageimage
  • Options

My Mom SAH until I was 11.  Then she was in college, and later at work.  She had dinner on the table almost every night.  We only went out to dinner while on vacation. She's a great cook and makes most meals from scratch.  She taught me and my sister to cook, for which I am hugely grateful.  I am already teaching DD how.

I cook dinner every night, as well.  I like to have nice family dinners, as much as possible.  That's not to say we don't order a pizza or chinese now and then.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"