Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

yeast infection?

DS has been battling a diaper rash for over a month (he doesn't get rash though, just welts), and now he's getting these raised, pimple-looking spots on his bum.  Nothing is red except the spots, and they seem to be spreading.  Yeast infection?  And if so, do I have to take him to the dr?  Is there something OTC I can try first?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary

Re: yeast infection?

• It sounds like a yeast infection to me.  My DS just had this same thing and he's never had diaper rash or any type of rase before, til a few weeks ago.  The Dr. told me to put Lotrimin (It's OTC) on it, it went away but then it came back, so I just ended up loading on desitin and it actually went away.  I'd call the Dr just to be safe.  GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • DS got a yeast infection due to a bad weeklong diaper rash.  The advice nurse told us this:

- for a week do a baking soda bath 2-3x/day.  4 Tbsp baking soda in 4 inches of water.  Soak LO for 10 minutes.

- don't use wipes at diaper changes.  Rinse in sink.  It's gross but wipes were so painful for DS and this really helped.

- No onesies and loose diaper.

- OTC cream mix (these products can be purchased at the dollar store.  Even the nurse suggested this!)

* hyrdrocortisone

* zinc oxide (diaper cream)

* monostat ointment (miconazole)

* clotrimazole

~Mix equal parts and apply after every diaper change~

We didn't apply this until that evening and the next day there was a HUGE improvement.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Triple Paste AF.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 

BFP #1 6-8-11 EDD 2-19-12. DD born 2-3-12 via induction due to pre-e.
    BFP #2 9-7-13 EDD 5-22-14. It's a GIRL! DD#2 is on her way.
  • I just posted this on the other rash post, but we had success w/ lots of diaper-free time, baking soda baths, lotramin first then a layer of desitin as a barrier. You need a really thick layer of the zinc oxide cream b/c it needs to keep the skin from coming in contact w/ the pee or poop. 

Also, do you use cloth diapers? 

E 9.08, V 8.11, J 4.14
  • We used OTC athletes foot cream and it cleared up in 48 hours.

~*Jenna*~

TTC since November 2009.

Currently licensed foster parents with the hope of adopting!  Also pursuing pregnancy through IUI!  First IUI scheduled 10/3/13

Currently loving our placements:

A 1/08

C 4/11

K 6/12

• image LalaMama81:

I just posted this on the other rash post, but we had success w/ lots of diaper-free time, baking soda baths, lotramin first then a layer of desitin as a barrier. You need a really thick layer of the zinc oxide cream b/c it needs to keep the skin from coming in contact w/ the pee or poop. 

Yes, I posted on the CD board asking if I need to do anything special to wash the diapers.  I think I'm going to use disposables till I get this cleared up though, I'm tired of using liners and I don't see any changes in the rash when I use disposables vs. cloth.  Plus then I can keep the diaper looser.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • image meg_2006:
    image LalaMama81:

I just posted this on the other rash post, but we had success w/ lots of diaper-free time, baking soda baths, lotramin first then a layer of desitin as a barrier. You need a really thick layer of the zinc oxide cream b/c it needs to keep the skin from coming in contact w/ the pee or poop. 

Yes, I posted on the CD board asking if I need to do anything special to wash the diapers.  I think I'm going to use disposables till I get this cleared up though, I'm tired of using liners and I don't see any changes in the rash when I use disposables vs. cloth.  Plus then I can keep the diaper looser.

Ah - this was my issue. I didn't realize (even after 4 years of CDing!) that I would have to treat the diapers. After trying a few things, the only thing that worked was adding a little bleach to the the diaper wash. I hate doing it, but it definitely worked. I probably had to use bleach in about 3 loads to make sure it was gone from the diapers and her. Also, make sure you are using a liner in the diapers so all those creams don't get on them!

Good luck! It took us forever to get rid of it, but it was getting the yeast out of the diapers finally that fixed it.  

E 9.08, V 8.11, J 4.14