Stay at Home Moms

Ice Skating apparel for Boy

DS starts Ice Skating lessons today. What should I have him wear?  I was thinking about long sleeve T with a Hoodie over it and bringing a fleece in case.  Obviously Gloves and helmet.  What about pants? Wind pants too cold?  Sweats or jeans?

CJ :-)

Re: Ice Skating apparel for Boy

• I would do wind pants.

I assume that the lessons are at an indoor rink, right?

DH has taken the girls to skate at an outdoor rink and they wear coats/snowpants too.

• Oh yes, it is indoor rink
  • It's 80 degrees here today and I've only skated at in door rinks so take my advice with this warning.

I would do layers like you have and probably wind pants. You get kind of sweaty and wet if you fall down. So easy changes and "moveable" clothes are probably best. I'd also bring a change of clothes for the ride home in case he is pretty wet.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Jeans and two layers of shirts. Make sure clothes are restricting his movement. I worked at an ice rink for a couple years and some first time parents would bundle their kids soo much the kids could barely move. Once kids start moving on ice they will start to warm up with all the energy they are using. Won't really get wet unless he falls and stays on ground for a couple minutes. The first thing kids learn in classes is how to get up safetly after you fall.

Also gloves probably a good idea
  • image vanessaNOV2:
    Jeans and two layers of shirts. Make sure clothes are restricting his movement. I worked at an ice rink for a couple years and some first time parents would bundle their kids soo much the kids could barely move. Once kids start moving on ice they will start to warm up with all the energy they are using. Won't really get wet unless he falls and stays on ground for a couple minutes. The first thing kids learn in classes is how to get up safetly after you fall.

Also gloves probably a good idea

See I probably fell and rolled around for a while.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• When DD took lessons she skated in fleece lined pants/tights. They were kinda waterproof. Sweats will get wet really quick from all the falling. LOL

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • My son is 6 and he wears his ski pants for ice skating lessons.  They fall and wind pants/sweat pants will get wet and cold.  The snow pants also offer a little padding.  On the top he layers,  shirt, sweater and a heavier fleece.   Don't forget that you need to dress warmly.  Sitting around an ice rink gets cold!

ETA:  His winter gear is not restrictive at all.  He skis and skates in them and does fine.  I skate and I actually dislike skating in jeans.  I wear my loose fleece pants.

Smiley: April '05 Rocky: May '06 Tex: July '09
  • Thanks everyone, he did awesome.  First time ever on ice skates and he only fell once.  He did have to sit on ice 3 times to practicae getting up.