Preemies

Spring & Summer

These winter months are getting long not getting out much. I am so looking forward to walks in the spring and getting out more in the summer. For those who have older preemies, how do your summers differ from your winters as far as getting out? Obviously we'll still be diligent about hand washing and keeping sick people away, but do you still take your LO's to the park, storytimes, pool, the zoo and other places lots of kids are during the months when RSV isn't a huge risk? I know walks and being outside is fine, but as far as places lots of kids will be, what is your experience? I still want to protect my son as much as possible, but I want to do all these fun things with him this summer! Thoughts?

Re: Spring & Summer

• I don't have any advice as my babies are younger than yours, but we are looking forward to going outside of the house more!  Can't wait for warmer weather to get here.
    Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

image image
    PAIF and SAIF welcome. IVF questions welcome, too.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Yep, we do take her to lots of other places, have GTGs/more play dates, etc.  I still make sure we sanitize after certain activities and whatnot, especially if we're in a place that has the potential to be "germier" (like a children's museum), and as long as the weather isn't super hot we try to do some stuff outside.

O&D September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Foods

2 Bostons, 1 Preemie, & 65 Roses

• DD was born in march of last year, as soon as we were clear of Rsv season it went a little later in our area, we were out doing things, walks and short family outings by late summer we were doing more like library time and music classes, we stopped at the beginning of Rsv and will go back again after... We can't wait for this yucky germy season to be over! Hang in there mamas!!
    Code snippet: HTML, Used for some forums. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Corri was born in March and didn't come home until early May, however, our pedi basically told us by late May to take her out and get her in the fresh air. He even ok'd the mall as of June of that year, and just reminded us to have hand sanitizer and mosquito netting over her stroller to keep out nosy hands. You need to get them out and about a little or they never build an immune system. 

I ended up getting a little sign for her stroller that advised people to look but not touch. It was this one:

http://www.prematurity.org/shops/shop-mytinyhands.html

Corrine Reese (3-5-10) and Gavin Lucas (7-11-13)
    imageimage
  • Ask your pedi to be sure because every preemie is different, but we acted very "normal" in the warm weather months.  There were many days I was able to forget all the preemie woes and pretend he was just another baby/toddler playing.  We did story hours, parks, pools, splash pad, zoo, wildlife sanctuary, children's museum, play dates, etc.  It was really a pleasant contrast to our first winter.

Our second winter has been much better than our first, but now that flu season is upon us, we go out less.  I still take him to story hour, but we leave if anyone is sick and won't be going for a few weeks/months while the flu is hitting our area hard.  We're really sad that we won't be back for a while; DS LOVES story hour!

Preemie Resources: http://preemiemomblog.blogspot.com/

DD1: BFP July 2010...HG in first tri, MC delivered vaginally at 18 weeks October 2010

DS: BFP December 2011...SCH at 5 weeks, SBR at 7 weeks, Placental Abruption at 13 weeks, Hospitalized at 25 weeks, pPROM at 28 weeks, PTL via CS at 31 weeks 

DD2: BFP January 2013...P17 shots, delivered via VBAC at 39 weeks