February 2013 Moms
Options

Foods to Stock Up on After Baby Arrives

I'm new here and would like to say a big Hello to you all. I haven't been too much into pregnancy boards and what not but I decided to give it a try. I'm 4 weeks away from giving birth and I'm guessing I'm a little late on creating a profile. Even though I used bump to check out my baby's growth each week and have since I found out I was pregnant.

Anywho, I figure this question has been asked before but I'm not one to sit and search for it since there are so many pages and posts.

This is my first child and I was wondering what you all were stocking up on food wise before baby arrives?

I've heard of frozen dinners, pizzas, and stuff. But is there anything else (specifically) that I could put in my pantry? Frozen lasagna makes me wanna hurl. lol

Thanks!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Foods to Stock Up on After Baby Arrives

• Options

I would say whatever you like to eat that is easy to prepare, lol.  I like the knorr/lipton pasta packages. They cook up quickly, and you can add (pre-cooked) frozen meats and/or veggies to make them a bit more substantial. 

If you plan on breastfeeding, I would research what foods you are NOT supposed to eat (things that might make  baby gassy, etc) so you can take that into consideration when stocking your pantry/freezer. 

• Options

Personally, I had no problems with grocery shopping and cooking for dinner. My issues were breakfast and lunch. I tried to keep very healthy, protein high snacks around at all times. Lots of fruits, granola bars, cereal, vegetables w/hummus, pita chips w/hummus. A lot of things that were accessible with one hand and didn't take long to prepare as I was breastfeeding as well. Lots of water, instant oatmeal and things like that.

I would seriously forget to eat and snacking was the only way I could eat. I also had lots of friends who would bring by food.

For dinner it was almost my break time. If you want to do little prep look into freezer meals. They are homemade that you freeze. Also if you have a fresh & Easy around they have a really good selection of pre-cooked meals.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Pantry - fiber one bars, nutragrain bars, protein bars, peanut butter, nuts, anything with some protein and some fiber that I can eat with one hand.

Freezer - I am making crockpot meals in a bag (all ingredients and seasonings mixed into freezer bag so I can just dump them in the crockpot), and also keeping frozen breakfast items on hand (because who doesn't like breakfast for dinner, even if it was frozen?)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks everyone for the replies!

:)))

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

We went to Costco and stocked up on some of their quick frozen pasta stuff (ie: ravilois, tortalini, ect). We also got their skinless boneless chicken tenders because they defrost & cook fast than whole breasts. You could also stock up on soup mixes or refried beans for burritos if you like burritos.  

But our main problem we have now is dishes and we still have 4 weeks to go. So we stocked up on paper plates and bowls. 

• Options

A lot of what was mentioned above. If your husband is going back to work soon after you deliver and you'll be home alone, things that you can make and eat quickly and w/one hand.  Ceareal, oatmeal (to keep healthy get plain and add raisins, cinnamon, etc for flavor).  If you like sandwiches, frozen bagels or freeze a loaf of bread, so you always have bread.  If you can, go to Costco and ck out some of the frozen meals or start making things yourself.  I made stew last week and froze it and plan on make lasagna tomorrow to freeze. 

If you eat a lot of fruit and normally keep things like apples on the kitchen counter, research how to keep them fresh longer.  you can wrap apples in papertowel in teh fridge and they stay fresh much longer. 

If you can stock up on household stuff, like papertowels, TP, etc so that you don't need to go to the store.  Also, if you can have groceries delivered it helps too!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"