High-Risk Pregnancy

Cervix opened in first trimester???

I'm hoping for some encouraging stories here! I recently had heavy bleeding and severe cramping. I thought I had lost the baby, and so did my doc when he saw that my cervix was slightly opened during the exam afterwards. He sent me over for an ultrasound to see if my IUD had come out (it's tilted and the doc cannot remove it) and if I needed an D&C. To all of our surprise my baby was alive and kicking during the ultrasound. The heartbeat was strong and all of the expected limbs are in place. My cervix is also an appropriate length for being just shy of 12 weeks. The doc said that since my cervix is slightly opened then it could be the start of a miscarriage or I could have experienced implantation bleeding. He currently has me off work indefinitely pending more tests.  

I'm hoping that someone has had a similar experience and can share some good stories with me. This is all so scary so something positive would be nice :)

Re: Cervix opened in first trimester???

• image Teacher Clark:
    Do you have any other children? I've heard women who already have kids often have a slightly open cervix all the time. At least that's what they have told me at my cervical checks.

I have 2 other children...the youngest being 5.  

• Is he considering placing a cerclage?  Also there is a difference between your cervix being opened internally vs. externally.  Did he say where yours was open?
    image BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • My cervix opens in the 2nd trimester, luckily this time it was caught and I had a cerclage placed.. so far, successful- and I was told it would not even be able to be placed... then I was told I wouldn`t make it to viablility at 24wks.. then I was told to expect to deliver any day and that we would have a severely handicapped child... baby is perfectly healthy and my body is holding strong..

Sounds like they caught it early- take comfort from that.. if they haven`t put you on bed rest, put yourself on it and do nothing....my fingers and toes are crossed for you.

[CENTER]

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    [/CENTER]
  • also, I had implantation bleeding and spotting every four weeks till 16wks- almost like a regular period.... many will say you don`t get implantation bleeding that far along, but you can
    [CENTER]

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    [/CENTER]
  • I am glad to hear your baby is doing well. Is your doctor concerned about your cervix being open? My concern would be infection. Can you get a second opinion on what to do? Good luck and prayers everything goes well.