March 2012 Moms

UPDATE: Wish me luck

So...my first day watching the 1 yr old boy with my dd went great.  Honestly it couldn't have gone better for the start.  He is such an easy baby with a good temperment and they both had a blast playing with each other.  They both have very similar waking/napping/eating schedules and so that makes it easier.  From the time I arrived (7:45am) to the time I left (4:15pm) there was only one moment of tears from the boy and that was a short 15 second cry when he was put down for his second nap.  My dd on the other hand had a bit of difficulty going to sleep in a new place.  Falling asleep for the first nap in a strange room was pretty tough on her.  The next nap she was happy as a clam to go down.  The two LO's really like each other (for today that is...I'm under no delusions that they won't have moments when they don't want to share, etc...). I made a decision to try my best and get them to eat their solids at the same time.  It worked!  It was quite the juggling act to keep them both happy in the chairs and not impatient, but we did ok.  

I think there were two things that I found most difficult today.  One will resolve itself given a bit of time, the other not so much.  The way that the house is set up, his nursery is upstairs.  Which means, approx 12 stairs to the change table where all his stuff is.  So, several times today I had to haul two babies, one on each hip, up the stairs to his room.  Not my idea of something I want to do over and over and over...so for my dd I just whipped out the change pad and changed her wherever to save myself the hassle.  The other difficulty was simply getting used to someone else's house and where everything is, etc...that really slowed me down today.  In fact, I was trying to use their gas stove and I couldn't get it to stop making a clicking noise, and so I ended up (god forbid) cooking his scrambled eggs in the microwave.  Man that felt weird, but I felt safer than having the stove leaking gas, ya know?  I talked with his dad about it when he got home, and he said I did the right thing and showed me how to use it properly.  Whew!  

Oh yah, and I went to bed feeling anxious about the whole thing.  Remember me complaining a few weeks ago about my whole phone wiping clean and me loosing all my contacts, etc...??  Well, I went to write down their address again last night before bed (I've only been there once over a month ago) and I then realized at 10pm I had lost their address.  It was stored on my phone!!! So, feeling like an idiot I had to email them and ask for their address the day before I start.  It was either that or call the dad at 7am asking for help getting there.  lol...how humiliating.  It all worked out just fine, but you always wonder what first impressions your giving out, hey?  

Aaaanyways, I'm one tired lady and I've gotta do this all over again tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it, and I'm hoping to attempt to bundle them both up and bring them out for a walk.  We'll see.  My dd sure loved exploring this new home today and new toys and making a friend.  But when she got home tonight I could tell that was relieved and had to play with all of HER things and chase the cat.  It was delightful to see.  All in all a great day and a good start to work.  Thanks for all your well wishes ladies and cheering!  It made me feel good to come home and read all your posts.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers image

Re: UPDATE: Wish me luck

• Yay! Congrats! I'm so glad it worked out well. :)

I hope things get smoother and smoother as you figure out their house. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Yay!!!  I was thinking about you today and hoping it would go well.  I'm so glad it did!  
    image  Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    We go together like a wink and a smile. June 27, 2009 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    52 books in 2014?
    image       Kristina's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Yaay so glad everything went smoothly!! I know it's a hard job because I only lasted 3 weeks watching another LO along with my own! lol
  • Yay! I'm glad it went so well!! Gas stoves are tricky... Our parents can never work ours.
    image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Great update!!!

Is there a playpen or something you could put DD in so you don't have to haul her upstairs with you every time you have to change the other one's diaper?

• image countrygrl5533:

Great update!!!

Is there a playpen or something you could put DD in so you don't have to haul her upstairs with you every time you have to change the other one's diaper?

She sleeps in a play pen in the guest room. I think she'd be heart broken if I left her downstairs in another room in the play pen.  She doesn't ever get left in one at home and so she'd be so confused and upset.   I hauled them both up and downstairs several times today.  My thighs are actually a bit sore.  lol.  I don't use the stairs at home, just the elevator as I live in an apartment. 

• image Excited30:
    image countrygrl5533:

Great update!!!

She sleeps in a play pen in the guest room. I think she'd be heart broken if I left her downstairs in another room in the play pen.  She doesn't ever get left in one at home and so she'd be so confused and upset.   I hauled them both up and downstairs several times today.  My thighs are actually a bit sore.  lol.  I don't use the stairs at home, just the elevator as I live in an apartment. 

Oh ok. I just figured it would be easier to leave her in one for the 3 minutes it would take to change the other one's diaper. But my DD gets left alone all the time so it wouldn't be a big deal for her. We heat with wood and the furnace is in the basement. She plays in the living room by herself all the time when I have to go down and either build a fire or add wood. Or swap laundry. Sometimes I forget that not everyone lives in a rural area in a split level house. lol.

You will have amazing legs and arms soon though. It will be like you are getting paid to exercise! That will be an awesome unexpected benefit to your new job. Smile

• image countrygrl5533:
    image Excited30:
    image countrygrl5533:

Great update!!!

Oh ok. I just figured it would be easier to leave her in one for the 3 minutes it would take to change the other one's diaper. But my DD gets left alone all the time so it wouldn't be a big deal for her. We heat with wood and the furnace is in the basement. She plays in the living room by herself all the time when I have to go down and either build a fire or add wood. Or swap laundry. Sometimes I forget that not everyone lives in a rural area in a split level house. lol.

You will have amazing legs and arms soon though. It will be like you are getting paid to exercise! That will be an awesome unexpected benefit to your new job. Smile

Unfortunately because I live in a 2 bdrm apartment dd can see me quite a lot no matter where I am.  I do go to my bedroom/bathroom/kitchen and leave her in the living room to play, but it doesn't have to be in a playpen because I'm so close.  If I lived in a split level house or something of that nature I'd probably be using a playpen like that from time to time.  I do have one for her, but truth be told, she's only ever used it twice!!  Once at Auntie #1 for a Christmas get together early Dec, and another time close to Christmas at Auntie #2.  Both times were hard adjustments getting to sleep.  She will get used to it where I'm working, but she does get semi-confused when I put her in one.   

• Any more updates? Still going swimmingly? Yes
  • image KariK81:
    Any more updates? Still going swimmingly? Yes

I only looked after the little boy twice this week and I`d say that both days went relatively good.  By the end of it my thighs and calves were seriously sore from the stairs.  lol.  The second day was a bit harder as the little boy was fighting a nasty cold :(  He had a cough and was congested.  Feeding them together is a big challenge.  If they`re both ready and willing to be in the highchair to eat at the same time, it`s great.  BUT if one is done before the other and wanting to be down, then of course the other who isn`t done wants to watch the one on the floor AND NOT EAT!  I saw this coming, so I`d try and keep the one who was done in the chair as long as possible..also, as they are almost 3 months apart they`re at different stages with their eating capabilities.  And kids being kids want to eat the same.  This will be interesting.  Soon though, in a few months it will even out and they can pretty much eat the same things all the time.  It is so interesting watching their dynamics of play together.  my dd so want to copy him with furniture surfing and window sill surfing, etc...it`s fun to watch her studying his movements and then attempt to try.  Also he crawls really fast, and as she`s only just learned and is not fast, she now wants to be fast.  She`ll get so tired and then just flop belly down on the floor, thumb in mouth and rest.  DD was also watching him make raspberry noises with his tongue.  I thought, ``Oh please don`t copy that!!` I am so impressed with how well they both played together, but I bet there will be days where they will be sick of each other and not willing to share.  Those will be the days were we will go for long long walks and to the library, etc I`m sure.  I need to map out where things are in this neighbourhood.  I`m excited, but I was sure tired when I came home on Wed.  A lot of the tiredness came from the anticipation of the new, and also the carting back and forth of her highchair, bed (the wedge for reflux), food extras, diaper bag, etc... I just pray that I can have someone`s little one to love and care for in my own home.  That would be ideal.  I really hope that that happens.