Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Not holding a bottle or sippy cup with handles

My lo is 7 mos old and my friend made me concerned about the fact that she cannot hold her own bottle or pick up a sippy cup with handles. She has only picked up the cup once that I have seen and that was by 1 handle in her walker and she managed to hold it up enough to get a few swallows out then it fell out of her hand. Should I be concerned that she hasn't gained that skill yet. She can crawl on all fours, sit up from crawling position turn around to look behind her while sitting, lean both ways, grab all foods given to her and put them in her mouth from her palm, she can lift herself up onto her knees and almost feet except for wobbly hips and not enough leg strength, she can also catch herself from falling on her face, and today she stopped herself from falling onto her back. She has a lot of skills that i have not seen in children her age before(not saying shes special, just saying i personally have not a met a 7 month old with those kinds of abilites only 9 months and older and I do understand that every baby is different) advice only please no criticism.

Re: Not holding a bottle or sippy cup with handles

• My DD is 7 months too and she doesn't hold her own bottle either. We are starting her on a sippy cup tomorrow so we will see how she does with that. DD is hitting all her milestones early so I'm not concerned but maybe I should be?

• I would not be concerned because you said that she is picking up other things and bringing food to her mouth so it doesnt sound like a motor skill issue. Perhaps when you give her a bottle try placing her hands on it so that she starts to realize that she can hold it. If it is really bothering you bring it up to her pediatrician at her next appointment.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Corbin | born 4.19.12
    Baby boy #2 | due 4.13.15
  • Loading the player...
  • my sweet little cousin didn't hold her bottle at 9 months either. but it wasn't because she couldn't, it was because she didn't want to. She would get in my lap and then lay out and i would give her a bottle. her dad came and saw it and joked about his princess. If you held the bottle out in front of her then she would eventually grab it and feed herself. 

I agree with the PP with showing her. put her hands on it and then praise her for being a big girl. She might not get that you want her to do it.

And then if it is bothering you, bring it up to the pedi. reassurance never hurts anything

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagepicklesx:
    I would not be concerned because you said that she is picking up other things and bringing food to her mouth so it doesnt sound like a motor skill issue. Perhaps when you give her a bottle try placing her hands on it so that she starts to realize that she can hold it. If it is really bothering you bring it up to her pediatrician at her next appointment.

I have tried with both the bottle and the sippy cup, she doesn't like us trying to lead her to doing something she is hard headed like us and wants to learn to do it herself(or it seems that way when she refuses to let us put her hands there). She is obsessed with grabbing the nipple or drinking end of the bottle or cup and either tipping it over or with the bottle shaking it up and down and getting milk EVERYWHERE lol. It's cute but messy, most of the time I try to help her and she just gets upset.

• Same here! Except she refuses to eat food, does not crawl or sit up from laying down. Don't stress they all gain skills differently. Many babies won't hold a bottle. I started to trick her into it while I am holding her. She freaks and wants the bottle leans into it with mouth open so I leave it in her lap and put her hands on sides of it and tilt it up. She will do it out of desperation but only when I hold her. Holding a bottle while she is sitting on her own would never happen for us. 

Hypothyroid/Fibroids/Stage 4 Endometriosis

10/2010 Open myomectomy to remove 3 fibroids largest @ 8 inches. Stage 4 endometriosis and inoperable/blocked left tube.

3/2011 Laporoscopy/Hysteroscopy. 3 endometrioma cysts, hydrosalpinx, left tube and half of the left ovary removed.

5/2011 IUI #1 medicated w/injections, 1 follie = BFP!

6/2011 Blighted Ovum/ D&C

9/2011 IUI #2 medicated w/injections, 2 follies = BFP!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My daughter is no where near holding her own bottle.  I think she could do it, I just haven't worked on her enough with it.  My son didn't do it until he was 10 months old, but he was a little delayed on several gross motor things.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Our son is 8mths and I think he could do it if he wanted to. Sometimes I think he's kinda lazy. He won't let me put his hands on anything either. Just this morning while holding his cup for him I tried putting his hands on it. He did good with one hand but would not let me put the other one on it. I wouldn't worry to much. I think they just get stubborn sometimes. Although, I'm a ftm so I have no idea what I'm doing. LOL

Just when I get frustrated that he's not doing something, all of a sudden he learns it.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • There is a girl at DC who did not hold a bottle at a year old. She just had no desire to. Fed herself, walking, everything but put a bottle or sippy in front of her, and she will just stare at it. Not sure if it was a temperature thing, or something else, but I would not worry at all.
    For my little man...I only knew you in my heart. D&C 3/1/11 EDD 9/8/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"