July 2013 Moms

Why do people come to work sick?

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion or maybe I am just more aware and annoyed by it since I'm pregnant. But we have multiple people in my office that are sick and at work. Not just cold sick but flu sick. I don't understand why people come to work to spread their germs. The work can wait and they all have sick time because it just reset. I'm trying to stay away from everyone without being rude and really wish I could wall off my entire cubicle.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}

Re: Why do people come to work sick?

• I am a nurse and can't get away from the sick people obviously. I work cardiac ICU so most mine are not flu sick but their family members will come to visit them coughing and sniffling. I hate it... for me and my patients. Just wash your hands a lot with soap and water and they not to put things in your mouth like pens or even your hands.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am guessing times are tough, they need money and are afraid to lose their job if they call in too much?

When I was working my boss would frown on taking sick days. So maybe they feel that they will look unfit or wimpy? I don't know but I doubt they do it to get everyone sick.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Haha my co-worker came over to my desk to look at something and I told him not to breathe on me. He said fine that was rude. I wanted to scream at him. It's even worse because he is one of my good friends and knows I'm pregnant. Dumb asses I swear.

imageetoille:

imageJenR85:
    Maybe this is an unpopular opinion or maybe I am just more aware and annoyed by it since I'm pregnant. But we have multiple people in my office that are sick and at work. Not just cold sick but flu sick. I don't understand why people come to work to spread their germs. The work can wait and they all have sick time because it just reset. I'm trying to stay away from everyone without being rude and really wish I could wall off my entire cubicle.

Because as PP said, they suck.

One of my PM's came into my office this morning barely able to talk and I told him "I'm pregnant, stay in the doorway."  LOL

• Oh I'm sure know one does it intentionally to get people sick. I just think its gross. I see what your saying but these specific people are just the type that act like the business will fall a part without them there which is not the case.

imagePrimRoseMama:
    I am guessing times are tough, they need money and are afraid to lose their job if they call in too much?

When I was working my boss would frown on taking sick days. So maybe they feel that they will look unfit or wimpy? I don't know but I doubt they do it to get everyone sick.
  • imagePrimRoseMama:
    I am guessing times are tough, they need money and are afraid to lose their job if they call in too much? When I was working my boss would frown on taking sick days. So maybe they feel that they will look unfit or wimpy? I don't know but I doubt they do it to get everyone sick.

This, I don't call in often, but even at this rate I can barely keep a good bank of sick time.  Plus, you never know how many people are in our shoes that haven't announced pregnancy yet that have to save sick time for doctor appointments, maternity or the "what if's" once we're further along.  Also just wondering, how can you call just by looking at someone if they have a cold or the flu?  I often sound pretty disgusting and miserable when I have just a cold, but like I said, I can't stay home every time I have the sniffles (I look the same way with allergies too)

Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• I totally agree!  I get it if there is no way to work from home and you can keep your germs to yourself but I had 2 of my managers come in Friday, sit at my desk and hack all over me for an hour.  They don't know I am pregnant but still, it shouldn't matter.  They both said they felt fine but had been fighting that cough for weeks. 

Guess who ended up in bed all weekend with a cough and a fever!?!  Seriously folks, I don't give points for dragging yourself into work when you are sick.  Work from home (if you can), take a sick day, just don't go around spreding your germs.  It's not nice!

• This clearly is going against the general consences. As long as I am not dying I'm at work - sick or not.  But if I am - I'll stay at my desk and not venture out of my cubicle. I dont have paid maternity leave.  I have to take sick time for every appointment, emergency, etc.  Our mortage payment comes from my job - we can not afford to take time without pay. The bigger issue is companies providing more sick time for their employees so they can time the time they need.
  • I hate those people!

I know they mostly do it out of loyalty. Here in Belgium, there's no such thing as 'sick days', if you're sick, you can stay at home as long as you want (with a doctor's note). Still, my boss comes in sick all the time.

Sick people aren't as productive. I feel it would be much easier for my boss to stay home for a day or two, and then get back and be 100% fine, instead of coming in sick for two weeks in a row, sniffling and complaining all the time, even my own productivity goes down, just from listening to his whining.

I mean, he's a great guy, but seriously. He was sick yesterday, but is coming in today. Really hope he doesn't have the flu. Here in Belgium, they won't give you a flu shot in first tri, and the flu season is really starting here, so I'm terrified of catching it. 

• Boss stayed home today, yay!
  • You should ask them. 
  • I do home health care with the elderly and your damed if you do, damed if you don't! If you call in sick, you get wrote up.  When I worked in the nursing home, I got sick, didn't want to get anyone else sick and called off and was wrote up because it was my 5th call in during the year.  I thought I was doing the right thing by calling in to prevent spreading but I was leaving them short handed, which was more important to them.  You can catch anything, anywhere. Im scared to go to the grocery store because of people coughing without covering their darned mouth! Its everywhere :(  My Mom said she was tempted to go grocery shopping wearing a mask..doesn't anyone cover their coughs or sneezes? Geez! Surprise
    Cheryl (26) Andy (25) Married 1 year as of 8-17-13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"