February 2013 Moms

Toddler moms, nurses and anyone else with an opinion - come in

My kids are sick.  No big deal - seems like a cold.  No fever and they are acting fine.  But when I just went to shower my oldest I noticed a full body rash - looks like hives or an allergic reaction.

Called my older sister to get her advice and all of her kids and her have the same thing.  We were all together at New Year's, so apparently we were all exposed at the same time.  I'm assuming the rash will appear on me and my other kids sometime tomorrow.  Sis isn't concerned either - not taking her kids to the doc.

I know that if I do go to the doc they are going to say it's some random virus and there is nothing they can do but offer some stuff to help with the symptoms, like itching or coughing.  I wouldn't normally bother (because let's face it, packing up three sick kids and sitting in the nasty doctor's office when you're nine months pregnant sounds hellish), but since I am pregnant my only concern is that the virus could potentially harm the baby.  What if it is some random childhood disease that could harm the baby?

WWYD?  Go to the doctor with the three sick kids and risk picking up another virus or two because their immune systems are down just for peace of mind with the pregnancy, or wait it out?  I should add that I am planning a homebirth in this house and the last thing I need is to pick up another virus at the doctor's office and bring it home.  WHY DOES NO ONE DO HOUSE CALLS ANYMORE?  Crying 

Re: Toddler moms, nurses and anyone else with an opinion - come in

• Could it be roseola? Have you tried just calling the pedi or OB? For the most part you and the babe should be fine. When I was pregnant with DD I worked in childcare. I was always around germy kids and picked up my fair share of random illnesses. But DD was born perfectly healthy. I probably wouldn't take my kids in, unless their fever was super high or I was incredibly concerned.
  • Chicken pox, maybe?  I would take my kids in if I were in your shoes, just for the peace of mind.  As for catching something else while there, just do everything you can to minimize that chance (sit as far from others as possible, wash/use hand sanitizer as soon as you leave)
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageajetter:
    Could it be roseola? Have you tried just calling the pedi or OB? For the most part you and the babe should be fine. When I was pregnant with DD I worked in childcare. I was always around germy kids and picked up my fair share of random illnesses. But DD was born perfectly healthy. I probably wouldn't take my kids in, unless their fever was super high or I was incredibly concerned.

No fever at all.  DD has roseola last summer and I remember there being a HIGH fever of like 104 for two days before the rash broke out.  I called our family doc and they said it's hard to say what it is over the phone, so I should come in.  I told them I'm not worried about the kids, just the pregnancy and they said that I need to come in.  I knew they would say that.

• I'd treat symptoms for today and see what comes of it.

You could always wait until later this afternoon and call to say "Hey, this is what's been going on today, this is why I'm hesitant to come in about it, this is what we've done so far, what do you recommend?"

I don't like to go to the doctor unless I absolutely have no choice, and my doctor and her nurses are really good at giving me suggestions for things to try at home before saying "Nope, sounds like you need to be seen."

Pregnancy Ticker image
  • I'd just get it triaged by your ob and then the kids ped.  The only rash I know of off the top of my head that will hurt you/LO while pregnant is fifths disease.  I'm not sure of how that rash presents so you can just google it if you're not sure either.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • It sounds like a viral exanthem. Just a reaction to a virus in the body without necessarily showing symptoms. Of course, watch for fever or changes in symptoms and characteristics of the rash.
    DD: 6/30/09. Mild pre-e DS: 9/5/10. Normal pregnancy Diagnosed 6/4/12 with dermatomyositis. Currently on Prednisone and IVIG therapy. 9/11/12: Normal a/s for DS2. No side effects from my medication, yay! DS2: 1/28/13. Thankful for healthy children! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • image+adamwife+:

imageajetter:
    Could it be roseola? Have you tried just calling the pedi or OB? For the most part you and the babe should be fine. When I was pregnant with DD I worked in childcare. I was always around germy kids and picked up my fair share of random illnesses. But DD was born perfectly healthy. I probably wouldn't take my kids in, unless their fever was super high or I was incredibly concerned.

No fever at all.  DD has roseola last summer and I remember there being a HIGH fever of like 104 for two days before the rash broke out.  I called our family doc and they said it's hard to say what it is over the phone, so I should come in.  I told them I'm not worried about the kids, just the pregnancy and they said that I need to come in.  I knew they would say that.

Whoops sorry. Thought I was reading carefully but apparently not. Sorry!
  • OK, I just called the doc and cancelled the appointment I scheduled.  I've been looking at pictures of hand/foot/mouth and fifth's - the two that seem to be the worst for pregnant women - and the rash looks nothing like it.  I just think it's a reaction to a random virus. 

At this point I'm more worried about the risk of bringing home the flu than I am about the risk to my baby.  I'm already exposed and showing symptoms, so I'm just going to pray and ride it out.  Thanks for talking me down ladies!

• I'm glad you decided to stay home.  DS #1 was potentially exposed to Fifth's Disease earlier this pregnancy and I called my OB.  The only thing they could do or suggest was to take some blood from me to see if I had antibodies to the Fifth's Disease.  It doesn't really help once you're already exposed, other than the OB would do additional monitoring later in the pregnancy to make sure the baby didn't get it.  I decided it wasn't worth it and didn't go in. (my son actually did NOT have it either).
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Glad you decided to stay home. For me, no fever = no worries.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would just call your OB and ask what they think. It could be roseola which is supposedly not problematic. My DD was exposed so I researched it but she never got it.

And my pedi does house calls but that doesn't really help, sorry. Embarrassed

• Did you look at the shingles rash too it is dangerous during pregnancy. If anyone has had chicken pox it is a possibility and it does effect children a little differently. I doubt if is but just a heads up.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DS2 came down with a similar rash when he was younger and the pedi said it was the tail end of a virus in the body.  He said once the rash appeared, he was no longer contagious.  Too bad we had no idea he was sick before this happened and he was around a lot of kids.  Luckily, he never had a fever, just a rash.
    Samuel  2.26.06 41w ASD/ADHD
    Eli  6.18.09 35.5w
    Silas  1.25.13 35.4w 10 days NICU, allergies/asthma, gluten intolerant

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"