3rd Trimester

Witch Hazel Pad Question

I think I have a question that will make many of you ladies LOL, but I honestly left the drug store last night scratching my head. Hmm

I've read a lot of posts on here about how great witch hazel pads are for recovery for "down there". So I set out to get some. While at the drug store I only could find witch hazel pads for hemorrhoids. I did not see anything that would be for postpartum. Do I use the hemorrhoidal pads, or is there one designated for postpartum?

Thanks Ladies!!

Re: Witch Hazel Pad Question

• To my (limited FTM) knowledge there are none designated for postpartum and they are for hemorrhoids.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Yes, those are the ones.  My hospital gave me a little container of them that got me though.  ITA that they are awesome!  My little postpartum routine was a pad with witch hazel pads laid down along it and then a long squirt of hemorrhoid cream to help with swelling. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Yep, you can get the homorrhoid pads or you can make your own.  I took maxi pads, soaked them in Witch Hazel and then put them in the freezer.  I read that they are a life saver!

TTC since 12/2011
    BFP#1 -3/18/12- M/C 3/31/12,
    BFP#2 -4/25/12, Beta#1 17dpo= 800, Beta#2 20dpo= 3800
    US @ 6w2d saw HB of 131
    **stick baby stick!!!
    US @20w IT'S A BOY!!

1-5-13 Ethan James is here!!!

I love Brent Pictures, Images and Photos pitbulls Pictures, Images and Photos

• image Las135:
    Yep, you can get the homorrhoid pads or you can make your own.nbsp; I took maxi pads, soaked them in Witch Hazel and then put them in the freezer.nbsp; I read that they are a life saver!

I loved these things!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image doremi29:
    Yes, those are the ones.  My hospital gave me a little container of them that got me though.  ITA that they are awesome!  My little postpartum routine was a pad with witch hazel pads laid down along it and then a long squirt of hemorrhoid cream to help with swelling. 

This. Also I think the name brand for these pads is Tucks. Well that is what they are called around here anyways.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That's them.  I got some wipes, too, that might stay in place better than a line of pads on days that I need to be more active.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Witch Hazel is Witch Hazel, there is no difference.  The hospital will probably provide you with enough stuff to last a while, I wouldn't rush out to buy anything yet.

FWIW, the WH pads are a life saver if you need stitches.

Anniversary

imageimage
  • image Las135:
    Yep, you can get the homorrhoid pads or you can make your own.  I took maxi pads, soaked them in Witch Hazel and then put them in the freezer.  I read that they are a life saver!

Yeh you're not going to find them labeled for postpartum. It's most likely cheaper to get a bottle of witch hazel and make your own though. 

photo be1a8386-23ff-434a-beaf-1408a16593dd_zpsd844a7d8.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
    image image 
    image image
  • I feel totally out of the loop. My hospital did not give or tell me to get any such thing! I had stitches and all. Good to know.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers pregnancy calendar Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image Las135:
    Yep, you can get the homorrhoid pads or you can make your own.  I took maxi pads, soaked them in Witch Hazel and then put them in the freezer.  I read that they are a life saver!

This way there is more concentrated witch hazel and helps a little more IMO than the tucks, etc.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Those are it and they are awesome!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • image kelliejo74:

While at the drug store I only could find witch hazel pads for hemorrhoids. I did not see anything that would be for postpartum. Do I use the hemorrhoidal pads, or is there one designated for postpartum?

I would recommend "making" pads for it. You can buy witch hazel at the drug store in a bottle... then you can put that on things (actual pads). Witch hazel is an astringent.. it helps reduce swellings and inflammations.. which is what a hemorrhoid is. You can use the pads they make.. but I feel like those are pretty tiny and don't really do much in the long term.....

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Dumb question--do we use witch hazel for healing both our vaginal and perineal areas or just our bums?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
                 Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

• I plan on making my own also...but from reading other posts, I am going to look for pads without the "dry-weave."  Other ladies said they can pull on the sutures!  Yikes!!  I haven't worn pads in 15 years????  so I'm sure I will be in for a shock when I go looking!!
  • I wasn't aware they could be used for postpartum, but during my first pregnancy, they did absolutely NOTHING for the hemorrhoids I swear!!!!!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers