2nd Trimester
Options

Ate rare steak?! 18 weeks pregnant! HELP!

I'm 18 weeks and 2 days pregnant.. Yesterday my husbands friend brought me a steak from outback because I was craving it but he ordered it rare because that's how I usually eat it. I ate probably 4 or 5 bites of the steak between last night and this morning.. I didnt even think how much of a problem this could cause since I'm pregnant! Now I am freaking out and worrying that I hurt my baby :( like I said I only had 4 or 5 bites.. Do you think I should be okay since I only had a couple of bites or should I be worried? 

Re: Ate rare steak?! 18 weeks pregnant! HELP!

• Options
    If you feel fine now you should be in the clear. No, you should not be worried.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    You are now going to give birth to a cow. Scrap the nursery and start on your barn. Good luck with breast feeding. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    For starters, anything you've already done you can't undo so there's no reason to spend time worrying.  It's not like there's a fix for any problem it might have caused.  However, rare meat does not automatically equal a problem.  Rare meat is an issue IF it's contaminated, which, while possible, is unlikely.  Also, rare isn't really an issue in a steak.  The bacteria lives on the surface of meat so if the outside is seared, you're generally ok.  Hamburger is a much greater risk because in grinding it, the surface gets mixed in and can spread potential bacteria through each piece. 
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    Moo...
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options

imageMomlovesEloise:
    You are now going to give birth to a cow. Scrap the nursery and start on your barn. Good luck with breast feeding. 

If she gives birth to a cow, eventually it'll produce its own milk. Problem solved.  

• Options
    imageLuthien1015:

imageMomlovesEloise:

If she gives birth to a cow, eventually it'll produce its own milk. Problem solved.  

Fabulous Yes

Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I only eat rare steak....and love every bite.  

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    I had steak tartar a few weeks ago and will still only eat my steaks med rare.  You and your baby wil be fine.
  • Options
    I think what you eat is a totally personal choice. I choose to follow the moderation rule meaning that every once in awhile I will eat a medium rare steak. I actually had one two days ago and it was delicious! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It's fine.  You can also eat lunch meat and hot dogs...they won't kill you.  The chances of getting listeria is realllly low.  You need to relax.  Honestly.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby #3! BFP 10/20/12 EDD 6/27/13
  • Options

imageMomlovesEloise:

Love!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    It's toxoplasmosis, not listeria, that is the major concern with raw or undercooked meats.  Steak isn't a big concern though.  Toxoplasmosis is usually found in pork, lamb, and venison.  I read a study that was done recently, and in the study they did not find toxoplasma in steak at all.  You could let your doctor know at your next appointment if you're worried about it, but the chance of you getting toxoplasmosis from a steak is very very small.
  • Options

imageJennandBaby:
    It's toxoplasmosis, not listeria, that is the major concern with raw or undercooked meats.  Steak isn't a big concern though.  Toxoplasmosis is usually found in pork, lamb, and venison.  I read a study that was done recently, and in the study they did not find toxoplasma in steak at all.  You could let your doctor know at your next appointment if you're worried about it, but the chances of you getting toxoplasmosis from a steak is very very small.

You're thinking cat poo.  I don't think she will eat that. 

• Options
    imageMrs.adambabycakes:

imageJennandBaby:
    It's toxoplasmosis, not listeria, that is the major concern with raw or undercooked meats.  Steak isn't a big concern though.  Toxoplasmosis is usually found in pork, lamb, and venison.  I read a study that was done recently, and in the study they did not find toxoplasma in steak at all.  You could let your doctor know at your next appointment if you're worried about it, but the chances of you getting toxoplasmosis from a steak is very very small.

No, she's right. Raw meat and soil can transmit the parasite as well.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageMrs.adambabycakes:

imageJennandBaby:

No, she's right.  Toxo is the worry with meat but she made the same point I did - that steaks aren't really a concern. 

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    imageMommyLizzy:
    imageOctoberchance1:

I only eat rare steak....and love every bite.  

This!

I ate fish roe on accident once,  I thought I order no raw sushi but it was kinda hidden in it.  I freaked out at first, but if you don't get sick from it you're fine. (I actually noticed it half way through eating it,  but at that point I thought screw it I already ate some, might as well enjoy it!).

Wait, you're not allowed to eat those little eggs? Oops. I love sushi, I have to admit I haven't been great with that. But I didn't realize the roe was bad too. I was guilty of eating some sushi rolls with hunks of raw fish in first tri though.... it was the only thing that sounded good to me! 

Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options

imagenonniedee:
    I guarantee you there is a woman in Uzbekistan or somewhere like that, who didn't have any prenatal care, and ate whatever, and she's giving birth to a perfectly healthy kid. There have been pregnant women since forever, and if all these things were sooooooooo deadly half of us wouldn't be here. CHILL

HAHA! My thoughts exactly! I ate my steak medium rare, had lunchmeat without microwaving it...blah, blah, blah.  It is really up to you what you choose to eat.  I just ate things in moderation.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"