July 2012 Moms

Baby proofing

What are your plans with your coffee table? Ours is wrought iron and glass. Not exactally child friendly. I'm thinking about getting rid of it and getting an upholstered one. I'm afraid that will look funny with our leather couch. I could also put the bumpers on.
What are you doing?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Baby proofing

• We tried the bumpers with our older DD and that did not work, so we got rid of the coffee table.I know a few other people who ended up getting rid of their coffee table-because of baby proofing and wanting more space.
  • i dont know. it stresses me out.

• Luckily we have an leather ottoman so it's soft...I did put outlet covers on today and DVDs away in our builtins ugh but there is so much more to do! I agree with Karm it stresses me out!

"You're beautiful baby from the outside in
    Chase your dreams but always know the road
    That'll lead you home again
    Go on, take on this whole world
    But to me you know you'll always be, my little girl
    "

<BabyFruit Ticker>

• My fat arse baby isn't moving anywhere unless its to Taco Bell. So we aren't thinking about it yet. But it's going to be awful. I don't even really know where to begin other than gates and outlet covers

BFP 11-19-11, EDD 07-30-12, E was born 08-08-2012

BFP 11-13-12, EDD 07-25-13, C was born 07-26-2013
  • image Pegleg715:
    My fat arse baby isn't moving anywhere unless its to Taco Bell. So we aren't thinking about it yet. But it's going to be awful. I don't even really know where to begin other than gates and outlet covers

i live in a tiny apartment. i dont know where to begin here. buy an entertianment center to close everything in? lol.

Can you have Evie get me a taco?

• we have a microfiber covered ottoman instead of a coffee table so I'm not too worried about that. My H is worried about the bookshelves so I think we'll be bolting them to the wall so she can't pull them onto her.
  • Nothing kids gotta learn somehow. Besides she's not going to be very mobile for a while due to the body cast. But even if she were I would leave it. I'm all for outlet covers we actually had to install all new outlets in our has because the old ones were the original 1958 ones so I got special safety ones. im also for baby gates and cabinet locks but I'm anti furniture padding. That's just too much in my opinion. My parents had metal and glass tables and I did just fine.
    Married 5.14.2011 Surprise BFP 11.2.2011 Emily Carolina 7.13.12 BFP#2 6.1.2013 Confirmed MC 7.3.2013. D and E 7.18.2013 BFP #3 1.15.14 EDD 9.25.14
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    DD: Hip click noted at birth. Ultrasound at 6w Dx severe hip dysplasia. Placed in Pavlik Harness at 7w. Ultrasound at 9.5w showed no improvement, surgery scheduled for spring 2013. 3-13-13 Open reduction of left hip with spica cast placement. 4-2-13 Open reduction of right hip with spica cast change. 5-14-13 Spica cast change. 6-17-13 Cast removed and placed in a hip brace. 7-11-13 Cleared to wear hip brace only at night. 7-26-2013 Brace free!!! 9-14-13 We have a CRAWLER!!! 10-14-13 Standing!!! 12-15-13 FIRST STEPS!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • We don't have a coffee table because our couches have the pop out leg rests... but we have a brick fire place that I'm stressing about.  I'm thinking about making a fitted pillow to go over it and just not using the fireplace when she does get mobile.  Then we would have more seating... not sure yet.

You should totally do an upholstered one!  There are a TON of tutorials on how to make one yourself for half the price of what you would pay for one.  Just a thought. (I've alway's wanted to do that but I don't have the room yet)

Married my best friend August 12, 2011
                                             DD #1 born July 9th, 2012
                                           EDD with #2 April 16th, 2014
  • My ILs got this weird bumper thing that goes around the while table with elastic, and it's so ugly! I guess if it works that's fine, but I figure there must be more attractive options! Luckily our coffee table is oblong with no sharp edges, so we are good there!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We will be gating off the one room that has a coffee table, fire place, book cases, wing back chairs, ridiculously elaborate lamps... My dad and DH just installed all of those tamper resistant outlets and all the other rooms in my old a$$ house have doors that you can completely close them off with, so until she's tall enough for door knobs, we're all set.

• We got rid of our coffee table when we had DD1. It is nice to have the open space for the kids to play.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • The sides of our coffee table are flush with the frame so that is no problem. We do have a few other glass tables that hold photos and the like, so we will likely have to do something with those. Not sure yet though.
  • We are planning on a new coffee table and end tables soon anyway but until then I am not doing anything besides outlet covers and a cabinet lock on the one under the sink with the cleaning supplies.  I dont have a lot of crazy breakable stuff so he'll be fine.
    Oh the things you'll learn to do, on your journey to turning Two!
    Dating: 7.1.2008        Engaged: 11.25.11       Austin: 07.21.12     Wedding: 5.4.2013

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We took ours out of the room when he was born so we had room for this bouncy chair and swing.  I don't plan to bring it back in for a year or two.
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We've already moved our coffee table out of the family room since with her jumperoo and toys, it was seeming a bit too crowded in there.  I already have the electrical covers in, but I still need to do some further proofing (like removing smaller things off the end tables, moving dvd's etc.)  But she's not even close to being mobil yet, so I'm not in a huge hurry.  We'll get baby gates too when the time comes since we have stairs and lots of rooms she can get into.

BabyFetus Ticker
    BFP 8/9/13 EDD 4/11/14 MC 8/25/13 - 6w2d  Discovered 9/9/13

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We're also considering just getting rid of our coffee table for a while.  Gives us more room for baby stuff and Wii.

Planning to put outlet covers on and some magnetic cabinet locks, but not much else. 

Mostly for us it's going to be about keeping things really tidy, which will be hard.