Babies: 0 - 3 Months

LO won't nap very long unless in carrier or held

My little guy is 12 weeks old. He sleeps well when we are out and I have him in a carrier (2 hours or more) - and he sleeps well at night (~7 hours) and usually 2-3 hours of sleep after his early morning feeding. 

But if he is napping at home (in a Rock and Play, swaddled), he sleeps for about an hour and then wakes up. Replacing the paci doesn't work. He hasn't taken to a noise machine yet (it was magic for my daughter). He's not ready to be awake - when I pick him up he goes right back to sleep. When I try to put him down again after letting him sleep about 10 minutes, he's back up within 10 minutes, sometimes right away. Sonetimes I do put him in carrier at home, if it's getting to be dinner time and I need my hands, and he's back to sleep.

I've always feared 'the baby who needs to be held to sleep' - certainly I don't mind holding him. I know it's too soon for him to really be able to seelf-soothe back to sleep, so just looking for any suggestions to help him nap better at home. I was wanting to get his naps improved before transitioning out of the RnP, but maybe I should just do that now, try to change everything at once.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: LO won't nap very long unless in carrier or held

• I'd be thrilled if my LO napped for an hour. Mine will only go about 10 minutes if he's not being held or in a carrier. 
    Sept 2013 started TTC#2 (never got PP period so hoping for the first egg to drop)
    Jan 2014 - diagnosed POF (Premature Ovarian Failure) and told pregnancy not possible without egg donor because my ovaries would never function again with my hormone levels (FSH 136, LH 98.6, AMH <.03, estradiol 0, HCG 7) - using acupuncture, chiropractic care and TCM herbs / supplements
    March 11, 2014 ovulated despite every doctors prognosis!!!
    Oct 2014 hormones (FSH 48, Estradiol 89, HCG 1) not good, but heckuva lot better!

Nov. 16, 2015 FET of single adopted 5AA embryo - BFN
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Read all about my TCC Journey here in my Blog Taking Back My Ovaries
  • imagetortuga47:
    I'd be thrilled if my LO napped for an hour. Mine will only go about 10 minutes if he's not being held or in a carrier. 

Same here.  My LO is 10.5 weeks and the only time he naps more than 20 minutes during the day with me is being held or in the carrier.  He won't even fall asleep anymore in his bouncer or his swing.  But if my parents are watching him, he will sleep fine for 2+ hours in the bouncer or swing!!  

Luckily, he sleeps in his crib at night - although he does need to be held by me or MH initially for him to fall asleep.

• Loading the player...
  • Thank goodness I'm not the only one my guy will be 11 weeks Thursday and I am lucky to get 20 min naps now its exhausting. I was starting to think something was wrong
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imagedodgerfantobe:

My little guy is 12 weeks old. He sleeps well when we are out and I have him in a carrier (2 hours or more) - and he sleeps well at night (~7 hours) and usually 2-3 hours of sleep after his early morning feeding. 

But if he is napping at home (in a Rock and Play, swaddled), he sleeps for about an hour and then wakes up. Replacing the paci doesn't work. He hasn't taken to a noise machine yet (it was magic for my daughter). He's not ready to be awake - when I pick him up he goes right back to sleep. When I try to put him down again after letting him sleep about 10 minutes, he's back up within 10 minutes, sometimes right away. Sonetimes I do put him in carrier at home, if it's getting to be dinner time and I need my hands, and he's back to sleep.

I've always feared 'the baby who needs to be held to sleep' - certainly I don't mind holding him. I know it's too soon for him to really be able to seelf-soothe back to sleep, so just looking for any suggestions to help him nap better at home. I was wanting to get his naps improved before transitioning out of the RnP, but maybe I should just do that now, try to change everything at once.

We are having the exact same problem (except he sleeps swaddled in the crib).  DS can absolutely put himself to sleep - I'd say he does it about 70 percent of the time (day and night).  I read somewhere that if they only sleep 45 minutes they were overtired.  Not sure if that's true.  If it's true for us, I don't know what to do.  I've tried putting him down at varying times and it's always the same.  Hope someone replies with some help!

Preston!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagedodgerfantobe:

After I responded, DS woke up after his 45 minutes and I unswaddled him thinking I'd give that a try... he's been asleep for about an hour now.  Maybe it's worth a try.  I'm going to try that for his later nap too.  Now I have to wake him up to eat (gah... of course after he starts sleeping!)

Preston!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"