Breastfeeding

fenrugreek?

My supply isn't THAT low, but I work 30 hours a week, 6 to 8 hour shifts. I'll pump once during my shift and once when I get home and that will get me enough milk to last the next shift I have, but a few times I come a few ounces short and DH has had to feed him a little formula which I HATE because I nurse him when I'm not at work

I've tried pumping first thing in the morning and the most I've gotten was 2 oz, which have supplied enough for my longer shifts but then I have to catch up...

Wondering if anyone takes fenugreek and id it'd be worth a try so I van maintain a better supply for my little man. My biggest concern is if it affects the quality of the milk?
-KB

Re: fenrugreek?

• I also have a very fast flow/letdown, will this make it worse?
    -KB
  • Are you able to add another pump at work? I'm guessing your LO probably takes at least 2 bottles while you are gone. I work 6 hour shifts and pump twice.

How long are your pump sessions? Maybe if you add another 10 minutes you'll get a second letdown.

If you do not have supply issues fenugreek could give you an over supply, which can lead to new problems. If it was me I'd pump longer and try to add another pump at work and see how that goes.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Yea he'll take two 4 to 5 ounce bottles while I'm gone. I do 15 minutes each side about halfway through my shift.

I'll see about pumping a second time if I am able to!
    -KB
  • I work 8 hours and pumped 3x day until recently to get enough milk.  One of those pumps was immediately after arriving at work, though, so it didn't cut into my day.

It sounds like you're not using a double electric...if you're pumping at work regularly, I would highly recommend a double electric pump, since it will cut your time down by 50%.  GL! 

Lilypie - (vjFY)image

• image musicmomkb:
    Yea he'll take two 4 to 5 ounce bottles while I'm gone. I do 15 minutes each side about halfway through my shift.

I'll see about pumping a second time if I am able to!

Yeah I'd try to add another and go a little longer. Do you have a double electric pump? I pump both sides at work for 20 to 25 minutes, I get a second letdown at around 17 minutes.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Yes only a single pump : takes so long, I will look into it! Thanks
    -KB