March 2012 Moms
Options

baby won't eat purees anymore!

Hi March Mamas! I am hoping for some finger food suggestions for a not so great eater. DS won't eat purees anymore, but he tends to gag and choke easily so he needs super soft foods and I'm struggling to find a variety of baby foods he can feed himself.

Also, is it really ok for a 9 month old to be eating just a few bites per meal? He isn't very efficient as a self feeder yet...

Thanks!
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: baby won't eat purees anymore!

• Options
    As long as he's getting 20-24 oz of formula a day, it doesn't much matter how much he eats - it's more for practice than nutrition at this point. I wouldn't worry.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Pasta, steamed carrots, steamed green beans, bread and cheese are our finger foods of choice here. When she is hunting down a piece of food with her hands, I can usually sneak some spoonfuls of pur?e in here and there. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Puffs, Mum Mums, Cheerios, Yogurt Melts, and Wagon Wheels.  Mashed Sweet potatoes.  Tiny carrots, peas, bananas. 

You could also get those purees in a pouch for self feeding.

Shreds of almost anything you eat also works.  You might want to read www.wholesomebabyfood.com for more ideas.  DD hasn't wanted a puree since 7 months, and she's eating better than my 4 year old. 

• Options

DS isn't eating as many purees as he used to either. I just offer more finger foods and try to spoon in some purees whenever his mouth is open for the spoon.

Bits of pancake, scrambled eggs, blueberries, and banana are common breakfast foods for him.

Bits of pasta, cheese, apple, mango, toast w/jam or smashed banana, leftover veggies are typical lunch items.

And dinner is either bits of whatever we're having. If we're not eating something I want him to have I heat up a turkey/corn/spinach or chicken/carrot meatball that I have premade in the freezer.

One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • Options
    Same boat here. DS still gags if the food is not soft enough so basically everything the people said above we try. Bottles are still the main form of nutrition and it is all really practice food until about 1 year. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DD also prefers to feed herself.  One thing she loves is homemade soups with the broth drained off.  She really liked the beef vegetable soup and this turkey-sausage-bean-kale soup that a friend made.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Have you tried some Taco Bell??
  • Options
    My motto is food before one is just for fun. Just throw some sticks on the tray and call it done
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"