June 2013 Moms

Question on breast-feeding etiquette.

Re: Question on breast-feeding etiquette.

• imagesingahappysong:
    imagerockinwife:
    imagesingahappysong:

For example: If someone was at my house and they decided to whip out their boob (i'm not just talking about lifting up their shirt and you not really seeing anything, I'm talking full on boob-age) and my DH was there, I'd be completely offended and ask that they either cover up or go into the other room.

I don't get what the big deal is. It's not like that person is trying to seduce your husband or something.

It doesn't matter if they were or not. It also doesn't matter if my husband "is checking her out". Its a personal preference and the way I was raised. We both have the same thought about it as well. It's a personal opinion.

It kinda makes me laugh when people ask for your opinion and the other posters get ticked off and angry about other peoples views (not just about BFing). If you feel so strongly about something, don't enter the thread.

FWIW, I really do love reading everyone's opinions. It also helps because it gives me ideas for if things to work out as planned. I mean of all the STM's who has had everything go according to plan! lol

So you are projecting onto other people.  That's nice.

Good to know your comfort level is more important than of a hungry infant. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageQueSyrah:
    imagesingahappysong:

imageMoparWife67:
    I think judging how, when, or where a mother breastfeeds just screams ignorance.

I think what frustrates me is that those who choose to not cover up are ok to judge those who do, but when those who do cover up are huge fat jerks because they are judging. I'm not talking about anyone in this post, just in general. It frustrates me. When people say "to each their own" its like they don't even mean it.

You're missing the point. It's perfectly fine to choose to cover yourself while nursing. What's not okay is insisting that others should too.

Have you ever actually breastfed a child?

I think you missed my original post, I said if they are in my home (only, never anywhere else and I'll add, if it was just me in the home, I wouldn't care, but if my DH or other guests were there: I'd care.) I said they should either cover up OR go to the other room, even if there is a spot in the room that's not right in the middle of the group that'd be fine. I was mainly speaking from the point of being at dinner table, so the other room was the main option I saw (in the setup of my ome) So, I think YOU missed the point. 

Me and Zech

• Loading the player...
  • imagesingahappysong:
    imageQueSyrah:
    imagesingahappysong:

imageMoparWife67:
    I think judging how, when, or where a mother breastfeeds just screams ignorance.

I think what frustrates me is that those who choose to not cover up are ok to judge those who do, but when those who do cover up are huge fat jerks because they are judging. I'm not talking about anyone in this post, just in general. It frustrates me. When people say "to each their own" its like they don't even mean it.

You're missing the point. It's perfectly fine to choose to cover yourself while nursing. What's not okay is insisting that others should too.

I think you missed my original post, I said if they are in my home (only, never anywhere else and I'll add, if it was just me in the home, I wouldn't care, but if my DH or other guests were there: I'd care.) I said they should either cover up OR go to the other room, even if there is a spot in the room that's not right in the middle of the group that'd be fine. I was mainly speaking from the point of being at dinner table, so the other room was the main option I saw (in the setup of my ome) So, I think YOU missed the point. 

Nope, I read your post. Every judgmental word of it. You don't tell another woman to cover up. Plain and simple. If YOU are the one that is uncomfortable, then YOU leave the room until she is done.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecarmen_sandiego:
    Hahahaha. I remember all the opinions I had about breastfeeding before I actually had a breastfed infant.

And this is why I can't comment. I haven't BTDT. I'm a modest person so can't imagine BFing in front of anyone besides DH but desperate times may change that. 

Mama to Sophie Virginia
    born 5/4/13 at 35 weeks 4 days

• imagesingahappysong:
    imageQueSyrah:

For example: If someone was at my house and they decided to whip out
    their boob (i'm not just talking about lifting up their shirt and you
    not really seeing anything, I'm talking full on boob-age) and my DH was
    there, I'd be completely offended and ask that they either cover up or
    go into the other room.

I don't need to shove my opinions on the subject to every person I know.

How is asking people to cover up or leave the room different than shoving your opinions on people?

It is okay for YOU to not be comfortable nursing without a cover and to choose to cover YOURself up. It is not okay to tell another woman how to feed her child. 

Ok let me rephrase: I have no place (when I'm in someone elses home as a guest) to say "I feel like I should not have to cover up to BF because it's a natural way to feed my kid and I don't care if you like it or not because I'm going to do it anyways and if you don't like it I'll leave and never come back".

That's what I mean, but not necessarily that mean lol thats just the only way I can explain what I'm saying without going on forever and ever.

I think you absolutely have a right to say that to someone! If that is how you feel about your right to breastfeed for whatever reason, you have complete rights tell someone that this is the way you bf, and if that's a problem you're leaving and not coming back. If the person living there gets offended you don't want to come back, too bad.
    BabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageJaimeCH:
    imagesingahappysong:
    imageskio:
    imagesingahappysong:

imageMoparWife67:

Have you really seen this to be the case? I'm honestly baffled and curious as to where this idea comes from. I don't think a woman who has gone through nursing an infant would judge how any other woman chooses to do it. Like I said in my response, I was never comfortable NIP. Not even with a cover. I could only nurse in my car or in a room to myself. It was my own issue, but I don't believe that anyone judged me for it and I certainly don't judge women who nurse wherever, whenever. I fed my child. They are feeding their children. I've seen nothing but mutual respect among nursing mothers, really.

Shockingly, IRL, yes. I know a handful of gals that are like this. I want to sock them in the face =D

So you know BFing women who don't use a cover, who are judging cover users, and you were raised to cover up? This really puts baby in a corner.

I wasn't "raised" to cover up, thats  my personality & character.

I don't understand your "this really puts baby in a corner". I can't help if people I know are jerks. 

And, so I don't have to make a million more posts, to the one who said something about me being more important than a hungry baby, thanks, but that had nothing to do with any of my comments.

Those who are getting "stabby" need to take a step back. Just because I have an opinion doesn't mean: 1. that is the way it's going to work for me, it's just my hopeful plan and 2. that you get to assume I'm selfish and will serve me first rather than my own baby.

I said my piece, and I respect those who said theirs. It gives me a "hope" (if you will) that if my baby WONT like to be covered, that I can have the confidence that it's ok to do so at friends' homes.

(time to go home till next week! so if you ask a question, sorry for no repsonse) Happy New Year!

Me and Zech

• imagesingahappysong:
    imageQueSyrah:
    imagesingahappysong:

imageMoparWife67:

So, you invite a breastfeeding mother over for dinner, and then ask her to miss dinner because her infant happens to be hungry at the same time? Ya, that's a pretty douchey move.
  • It wouldn't bother me at all. I nursed for 12 months and only used a cover a few times. It was a bigger PITA than not using one.I am not uncomfortable with breastfeeding at all. It really is about personal preference... I don't think anyone should be judged for doing so. 
  • Ok one more post!

To ariaforte8 and QueSyrah:

And here is where opinions step in. I understand that's how you view it, but I  don't agree (Oh the joy of free-will and thinking for yourself). Mainly because we are trying to throw a blanket over every situation. If it was my SIL, yes I'd say how I felt about it, but if I knew it'd make her uncomfortable and I was in her house, then I'd respect her wishes. If it was my sister and it made her uncomfortable I might not cover up just to spite her (joking!...kinda) If I was at a corporate party: I would not say anything at all and DEFINITELY cover up! If I'm at my own home with my DH, screw the cover.

Me and Zech

• When the baby has to eat - the baby has to eat. 

Are you planning on breastfeeding? If you are, you need to get more comfortable with the baby being nursed while eating. There were many times when I would not have eaten if I wasn't nursing at the same time. It was like she knew that I was hungry - so she should be, too. Your SIL probably thought since you were pregnant you would understand. 

I tried to use a cover when out in public, mostly for other people's comfort. However, when the baby gets older - they will rip the cover off of you. Elizabeth did this to me on an airplane. The other passengers had the choice to hear her scream or see part of my boob. I decided the boob was better for everyone. 

• imagesingahappysong:
    Ok one more post! To ariaforte8 and QueSyrah:And here is where opinions step in. I understand that's how you view it, but Inbsp; don't agree Oh the joy of freewill and thinking for yourself. Mainly because we are trying to throw a blanket over every situation. If it was my SIL, yes I'd say how I felt about it, but if I knew it'd make her uncomfortable and I was in her house, then I'd respect her wishes. If it was my sister and it made her uncomfortable I might not cover up just to spite her joking!...kinda If I was at a corporate party: I would not say anything at all and DEFINITELY cover up! If I'm at my own home with my DH, screw the cover.

I think you're the only one trying to throw a blanket over anything...
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesingahappysong:

Ok one more post!

And here is where opinions step in. I understand that's how you view it, but I  don't agree (Oh the joy of free-will and thinking for yourself). Mainly because we are trying to throw a blanket over every situation. If it was my SIL, yes I'd say how I felt about it, but if I knew it'd make her uncomfortable and I was in her house, then I'd respect her wishes. If it was my sister and it made her uncomfortable I might not cover up just to spite her (joking!...kinda) If I was at a corporate party: I would not say anything at all and DEFINITELY cover up! If I'm at my own home with my DH, screw the cover.

This isn't about what YOU would do.  It's about you telling a nursing mother where to nurse.  You have completely missed the point.

• imagesingahappysong:

Ok one more post!

:headdesk: I don't know how else to explain it to you so I'm just leaving it alone. 

• imagesingahappysong:
    Ok one more post! To ariaforte8 and QueSyrah:And here is where opinions step in. I understand that's how you view it, but Inbsp; don't agree Oh the joy of freewill and thinking for yourself. Mainly because we are trying to throw a blanket over every situation. If it was my SIL, yes I'd say how I felt about it, but if I knew it'd make her uncomfortable and I was in her house, then I'd respect her wishes. If it was my sister and it made her uncomfortable I might not cover up just to spite her joking!...kinda If I was at a corporate party: I would not say anything at all and DEFINITELY cover up! If I'm at my own home with my DH, screw the cover.

How is explaining your situation, and solving the problem by leaving and not coming back rude? If the mother does not or cannot cover, and the host tells the mother that they're uncomfotable: that does not mean the only solution is that the mother cover up. The other solution is to say: I'm sorry you feel thay way, but that means I'm going to have to leave now because I do not use a cover. I will not come back until I no longer breastfeed my child. It respects the host, and the choices the mother makes. If that offends host, then it means the host really just wanted the mother to compromise the way she chooses to feed her child, and cover up.
  • FWIW, when I nursed I excused myself to a quiet room when at other's houses, used the mother's room at the mall, and used a cover if we were out to dinner.

I would LOVE to be comfortable enough to NIP freely, but the reason I don't is for fear of the judgment in this post.

I don't care how others choose to nurse, but I think asking someone to cover up because they are in your home is shockingly rude.

Also, putting "baby in a corner" is a widely known movie reference.  

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree that proper etiquette would be to step away from the dinner table, and to ask if there is a room where she could privately breastfeed her child if she chooses to not cover up.  Flashing a boob whether feeding or not is still nudity and can be offensive or make some people uncomfortable.  This is coming from a girl who used to love going topless at topless beaches... I did it because it was acceptable by those who went to that particular beach!  I also don't have an issue with nudity, but I am still considerate of making others feel weird about it!  I'm ALL FOR breastfeeding, but you also have to have courtesy for those around you as well... yeah I get that your baby comes first.  Its not like this was all of her girlfriends hanging out - where it might be a non-issue...there were men in the room as well.  She could have turned her back from the table or something if she wanted to stay in the room.  Thats my two cents.
  • imageemolm:
    imagesingahappysong:
    I think you're the only one trying to throw a blanket over anything...

Idea 

• imageariaforte8:
    imagesingahappysong:

How is explaining your situation, and solving the problem by leaving and not coming back rude? If the mother does not or cannot cover, and the host tells the mother that they're uncomfotable: that does not mean the only solution is that the mother cover up. The other solution is to say: I'm sorry you feel thay way, but that means I'm going to have to leave now because I do not use a cover. I will not come back until I no longer breastfeed my child. It respects the host, and the choices the mother makes. If that offends host, then it means the host really just wanted the mother to compromise the way she chooses to feed her child, and cover up.

All of this.

OP is coming across as extremely selfcentered.
  • imageemolm:
    imageariaforte8:
    imagesingahappysong:
    All of this. OP is coming across as extremely selfcentered.

She's not the OP. I think the OP left this thread somewhere on the first page, LOL.

ETA: never mind. You're not referring to the OP of the orignal post, right? You're referring to the person we're quoting?

• imagemisspriss726:
    I agree that proper etiquette would be to step away from the dinner table, and to ask if there is a room where she could privately breastfeed her child if she chooses to not cover up.nbsp; Flashing a boob whether feeding or not is still nudity and can be offensive or make some people uncomfortable.nbsp; This is coming from a girl who used to love going topless at topless beaches... I did it because it was acceptable by those who went to that particular beach!nbsp; I also don't have annbsp;issue with nudity, but I am still considerate of making others feel weird about it! nbsp;I'm ALL FOR breastfeeding, but you also have to have courtesy for those around you as well... yeah I get that your baby comes first.nbsp; Its not like this was all ofnbsp;her girlfriends hanging out where it might be a nonissue...there were men in the room as well.nbsp; She could have turned her back from the table or something if she wanted to stay in the room.nbsp; Thats my two cents.

I think proper etiquette would be feeding someone dinner when you invite them to dinner. If you invite a breastfeeding woman to dinner, you have to expect that it is possible her child would be hungry during dinner as well. If this is a problem for you, then don't invite a breastfeeding woman over.
  • imagemisspriss726:
    I agree that proper etiquette would be to step away from the dinner table, and to ask if there is a room where she could privately breastfeed her child if she chooses to not cover up.  Flashing a boob whether feeding or not is still nudity and can be offensive or make some people uncomfortable.  This is coming from a girl who used to love going topless at topless beaches... I did it because it was acceptable by those who went to that particular beach!  I also don't have an issue with nudity, but I am still considerate of making others feel weird about it!  I'm ALL FOR breastfeeding, but you also have to have courtesy for those around you as well... yeah I get that your baby comes first.  Its not like this was all of her girlfriends hanging out - where it might be a non-issue...there were men in the room as well.  She could have turned her back from the table or something if she wanted to stay in the room.  Thats my two cents.

Thanks, at least I'm not the only one in the entire world that thinks this way!

leave before they attack you too ;)

Me and Zech

• imagezurawsk5:

When the baby has to eat - the baby has to eat. 

Are you planning on breastfeeding? If you are, you need to get more comfortable with the baby being nursed while eating. There were many times when I would not have eaten if I wasn't nursing at the same time. It was like she knew that I was hungry - so she should be, too. Your SIL probably thought since you were pregnant you would understand. 

I tried to use a cover when out in public, mostly for other people's comfort. However, when the baby gets older - they will rip the cover off of you. Elizabeth did this to me on an airplane. The other passengers had the choice to hear her scream or see part of my boob. I decided the boob was better for everyone. 

I do plan on nursing, and you're right. I will have to adjust to feeding the baby when and where it needs to be fed, regardless of what I'm doing at the time.  I honestly did not mean to come across as judgmental at all, and I'm truly sorry I did.  It was just a situation I'd never been in before, was uncomfortable with, and wasn't sure how to react. 

• imageariaforte8:
    imagemisspriss726:
    I agree that proper etiquette would be to step away from the dinner table, and to ask if there is a room where she could privately breastfeed her child if she chooses to not cover up.nbsp; Flashing a boob whether feeding or not is still nudity and can be offensive or make some people uncomfortable.nbsp; This is coming from a girl who used to love going topless at topless beaches... I did it because it was acceptable by those who went to that particular beach!nbsp; I also don't have annbsp;issue with nudity, but I am still considerate of making others feel weird about it! nbsp;I'm ALL FOR breastfeeding, but you also have to have courtesy for those around you as well... yeah I get that your baby comes first.nbsp; Its not like this was all ofnbsp;her girlfriends hanging out where it might be a nonissue...there were men in the room as well.nbsp; She could have turned her back from the table or something if she wanted to stay in the room.nbsp; Thats my two cents.
    I think proper etiquette would be feeding someone dinner when you invite them to dinner. If you invite a breastfeeding woman to dinner, you have to expect that it is possible her child would be hungry during dinner as well. If this is a problem for you, then don't invite a breastfeeding woman over.

Yes

Everyone knows that we're not talking about boobs, right? We're talking about feeding an infant.

• imageQueSyrah:

imageemolm:
    imageariaforte8:
    imagesingahappysong:

All of this.

She's not the OP. I think the OP left this thread somewhere on the first page, LOL.

ETA: never mind. You're not referring to the OP of the orignal post, right? You're referring to the person we're quoting?

Ya, I'm referring to singahappysong who wrote this:
    Ok let me rephrase: I have no place when I'm in someone elses home as a guest to say "I feel like I should not have to cover up to BF because it's a natural way to feed my kid and I don't care if you like it or not because I'm going to do it anyways and if you don't like it I'll leave and never come back".
  • imageQueSyrah:

imageemolm:
    imageariaforte8:
    imagesingahappysong:

I'm still here, just frankly terrified of putting my foot further in my mouth.  

• imageLuthien1015:
    imageQueSyrah:

imageemolm:
    imageariaforte8:
    imagesingahappysong:

I'm still here, just frankly terrified of putting my foot further in my mouth.  

Eh. You asked an honest question and got some good feedback.

It was all of that nonsense from singahappysong about thinking she's allowed to dictate how other mothers feed their child that got everyone all riled up.

• imageQueSyrah:

imageemolm:
    imageariaforte8:
    imagesingahappysong:

All of this.

I'm glad you clarified this or I would held a grudge for months.
  • imageJaimeCH:
    This post is making me stabby.

No kidding.

I tried nursing with a cover once while out to lunch with a girlfriend.  It was a huge disaster.  I had one of those **THIS IS SPAM** or whatever where you could look down through the top, but DD wanted nothing to do with being covered up.  I didn't really care after that.  If I needed to feed my kid, no matter where I was, I wasn't going to worry about offending anyone.  Of course then a month later my supply went down the sh!tter, so there's that.  Which makes me stabby all over again. 

Lilypie - (tyeV)

Lilypie - (AarQ)

• I don't have a problem with BFing wherever, whenever. That said, I would be a little taken aback if it were at the dinner table. I wouldn't ask her to cover up or mention it, but it would probably surprise me a little. And I only say that because if it were me I can imagine I would've excused myself to a back room while others ate. 
    BabyFetus Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I breast fed where ever and when ever my kids needed it.  What your SIL did wouldn't bother me.  I have breast fed through most of a meal, apps included, at several restaurants.  The host would need to have the balls to say something to me directly and then I would probably be pretty shocked at her audacity.  I would say what I have said the VERY few times someone has suggested I cover myself and my child: "My kiddo doesn't like to be covered so I don't do it"

That being said, I would sometimes do a token covering where I would put a burp cloth over my shoulder and pretend to pull it up on occasion LoL.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• It takes 6 week old babies a long time to eat, but no I would never breast feed st the table. I would have been both weirded out and impressed!
  • imageIrishCoffee7:

Add me to the "this makes me stabby" club.  Probably good that I mostly missed this.

This also makes me very stabby.  Like slasher stabby.  

I tried using a cover with DD when she was a newborn.  In mid July.  That didn't last long.  I couldn't get her to latch under a cover EVER.

MIL tried to hand me a cover at her house once.  I said no thank you.  No further discussion.  Maybe they thought I should use one.  BF is feeding a baby.  If everyone else is eating, why can't the baby? Makes sense to me.   

BabyFruit Ticker image image
         Big M 7/11/11
          Little M 6/16/2013
                    Angel baby 5/17/2014          
  • Wow - this topic is def an interesting one. One that we have had with my husbands family.

My husband has 3 brothers and a sister and his one brother (whose wife is expecting twins in June) has expressed to the family that breastfeeding in public or uncovered makes him very uncomfortable, he understands that he doesn't need to look, but he see's it more as a private thing. Now I have decided to bottle feed (please don't judge me), so will not have to worry about offending him. However I understand both sides of this argument, my take on it, is try to be as respectful as possible to everyone. I am not offended by it, but I am a female, but I know numerous males and females that find it uncomfortable.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Many babies don't do well with covers or blankets over them while feeding. I don't have a problem with it at all. If I am not home I plan on using a cover unless the baby doesn't like it. But won't be able to tell until in that situation.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    photo its20a20girl_zpsy8rztyxtjpg
  • I had no idea I was in the minority to believe this poses a question of modesty.

There are so many facets to this conversation - many good topics have been covered so far - here's one that hasn't been bridged, so I'll add this article to the conversation for your consideration:

Breastfeeding Modestly

08.05.10: They?re still boobs, even if you?re breastfeeding

Since this is World Breastfeeding Week, our website is dedicated to providing all the information and statistics to support breastfeeding as the best way to go. As I pondered what insight I could offer, I paid more attention than usual to women who were breastfeeding in public and realized they were everywhere ? women with their boobs out.

Breasts have played a very big part in my career. I?ve seen more naked breasts than the bouncer at a strip club. I?ve grabbed thousands of nipples and guided them into babies? mouths when their brand new mothers didn?t know how to aim them yet. I?ve helped moms take their nipple rings out and put burn dressings on their cracked, chaffed and oh-so-painful breasts. I can carry on a full conversation with a woman wearing nothing at all and might not even notice. That?s how immune nurses get to nudity. Doctors aren?t anywhere near as comfortable with it. Their visits are brief and their patients usually pull a top on. With their labor and postpartum nurses though, patients don?t give it a second thought.

There?s an art to breastfeeding in public and some women are better artists than others. Some women are performance artists. What?s interesting is that while women are able to compartmentalize their breasts sexual and nutritional functions, other people, particularly guys, can?t. That?s why breastfeeding in public is such a hot topic. Breastfeeding is a natural biologic function and no one should have to hide in the bathroom to feed her baby. Still, they?re boobs and responding to them sexually is a natural biologic function too.

Your breasts sex life might be a hazy, distant memory to you if you?re breastfeeding but consider this: They?re fuller and plumper than ever and your nipples are much more noticeable. Give the guys a break ? your breasts have never looked more enticing.

It wasn?t until I saw the world through the eyes of teenaged boys that I ever registered how many naked boobs are out in plain site. I was at our local pool one afternoon this week and saw three versions of breastfeeding modesty. One gal was wearing a very skimpy bikini top. Well, she wasn?t so much ?wearing? it as she was using it as a necklace. Unhooked, with both cups completely off her breasts, she simultaneously nursed a newborn on one breast and a toddler on the other. The toddler kept popping off to look around, leaving her fully exposed. She clearly could not care less ? part nature girl, part bedraggled mother, keeping her boobs covered wasn?t on her agenda.

While no one around her cared she was essentially naked from the waist up, the poor lifeguard was having a hard time with it. She was in the direct line of vision of the high-school boy whose job was to make sure all the little kids around her didn?t run into the deep end. I could tell he was terrified he?d see too much and while he wasn?t wearing a Speedo, his swim trunks wouldn?t hide anything (if you know what I mean). Poor kid.

A few feet away, another woman sat discreetly nursing her baby. The baby lay across her lap and the woman?s t-shirt covered everything. You couldn?t see a thing and when her baby unlatched, she just dropped her top over her nipple. She wasn?t hiding anything but she just wasn?t exposing anything either.

On the other side of the pool, the most obvious breastfeeder was a woman hiding her baby and her boobs under what looked like a tent. It was hotter than heck out there by the pool yet she was draped from head to toe. Her baby was screaming bloody murder under that thing (no doubt sweltering) and she was thrashing about trying to get him out without showing any skin. You couldn?t help but look. Poor lady was so concerned about not attracting any attention while breastfeeding, she made a spectacle of herself. She looked miserable and I wished she?d take a page from either bikini mama or t-shirt mama.

Later on, my niece was nursing her baby in my living room in front of my own young, teenage son. He was trying hard to be cool about it but she was right there for heavens sake with her boobs exposed. Where was he supposed to look? The first time that baby did the pop-off, he wisely got up and said, ?whoa ? I?m outta here.? Smart. Very smart.

I know, I know, it?s natural and we?re all pro-breastfeeding here but boobs aren?t just for lunch. Try to look at them from a guys perspective will you? While there?s certainly no need to pull out the pup tent; it?s not really necessary to go commando either, right? Try to find a middle ground, if guys are around. They?re boobs. And most guys aren?t built to look at boobs without having a reaction. Go easy on them, will ya?

Our Ask The Labor Nurse blogger wrote a follow-up post to Breastfeeding Modestly, click here.

Jeanne Faulkner, R.N., lives in Portland, Oregon with her husband and five children. Got a question for Jeanne? E-mail it to labornurse@fitpregnancy.com and it may be answered in a future blog post.

This Fit Pregnancy blog is intended for educational purposes only. It is not intended to replace medical advice from your physician. Before initiating any exercise program, diet or treatment provided by Fit Pregnancy, you should seek medical advice from your primary caregiver.

• imagemrsmichigander:
    I had no idea I was in the minority to believe this poses a question of modesty.nbsp;There are so many facets to this conversation many good topics have been covered so far here's one that hasn'tnbsp;beennbsp;bridged, so I'll add this article to the conversation for your consideration:Breastfeeding Modestly08.05.10: Theyre still boobs, even if youre breastfeedingSince this is World Breastfeeding Week, our website is dedicated to providing all the information and statistics to support breastfeeding as the best way to go. As I pondered what insight I could offer, I paid more attention than usual to women who were breastfeeding in public and realized they were everywhere women with their boobs out. Breasts have played a very big part in my career. Ive seen more naked breasts than the bouncer at a strip club. Ive grabbed thousands of nipples and guided them into babies mouths when their brand new mothers didnt know how to aim them yet. Ive helped moms take their nipple rings out and put burn dressings on their cracked, chaffed and ohsopainful breasts. I can carry on a full conversation with a woman wearing nothing at all and might not even notice. Thats how immune nurses get to nudity. Doctors arent anywhere near as comfortable with it. Their visits are brief and their patients usually pull a top on. With their labor and postpartum nurses though, patients dont give it a second thought. Theres an art to breastfeeding in public and some women are better artists than others. Some women are performance artists. Whats interesting is that while women are able to compartmentalize their breasts sexual and nutritional functions, other people, particularly guys, cant. Thats why breastfeeding in public is such a hot topic. Breastfeeding is a natural biologic function and no one should have to hide in the bathroom to feed her baby. Still, theyre boobs and responding to them sexually is a natural biologic function too. Your breasts sex life might be a hazy, distant memory to you if youre breastfeeding but consider this: Theyre fuller and plumper than ever and your nipples are much more noticeable. Give the guys a break your breasts have never looked more enticing. It wasnt until I saw the world through the eyes of teenaged boys that I ever registered how many naked boobs are out in plain site. I was at our local pool one afternoon this week and saw three versions of breastfeeding modesty. One gal was wearing a very skimpy bikini top. Well, she wasnt so much wearing it as she was using it as a necklace. Unhooked, with both cups completely off her breasts, she simultaneously nursed a newborn on one breast and a toddler on the other. The toddler kept popping off to look around, leaving her fully exposed. She clearly could not care less part nature girl, part bedraggled mother, keeping her boobs covered wasnt on her agenda. While no one around her cared she was essentially naked from the waist up, the poor lifeguard was having a hard time with it. She was in the direct line of vision of the highschool boy whose job was to make sure all the little kids around her didnt run into the deep end. I could tell he was terrified hed see too much and while he wasnt wearing a Speedo, his swim trunks wouldnt hide anything if you know what I mean. Poor kid. A few feet away, another woman sat discreetly nursing her baby. The baby lay across her lap and the womans tshirt covered everything. You couldnt see a thing and when her baby unlatched, she just dropped her top over her nipple. She wasnt hiding anything but she just wasnt exposing anything either. On the other side of the pool, the most obvious breastfeeder was a woman hiding her baby and her boobs under what looked like a tent. It was hotter than heck out there by the pool yet she was draped from head to toe. Her baby was screaming bloody murder under that thing no doubt sweltering and she was thrashing about trying to get him out without showing any skin. You couldnt help but look. Poor lady was so concerned about not attracting any attention while breastfeeding, she made a spectacle of herself. She looked miserable and I wished shed take a page from either bikini mama or tshirt mama. Later on, my niece was nursing her baby in my living room in front of my own young, teenage son. He was trying hard to be cool about it but she was right there for heavens sake with her boobs exposed. Where was he supposed to look? The first time that baby did the popoff, he wisely got up and said, whoa Im outta here. Smart. Very smart. I know, I know, its natural and were all probreastfeeding here but boobs arent just for lunch. Try to look at them from a guys perspective will you? While theres certainly no need to pull out the pup tent; its not really necessary to go commando either, right? Try to find a middle ground, if guys are around. Theyre boobs. And most guys arent built to look at boobs without having a reaction. Go easy on them, will ya?Our Ask The Labor Nurse blogger wrote a followup post to Breastfeeding Modestly, click here. Jeanne Faulkner, R.N., lives in Portland, Oregon with her husband and five children. Got a question for Jeanne? Email it to labornursefitpregnancy.com and it may be answered in a future blog post.This Fit Pregnancy blog is intended for educational purposes only. It is not intended to replace medical advice from your physician. Before initiating any exercise program, diet or treatment provided by Fit Pregnancy, you should seek medical advice from your primary caregiver.

TL;DR
    Pg with #2
  • imagemrsmichigander:

I had no idea I was in the minority to believe this poses a question of modesty.

There are so many facets to this conversation - many good topics have been covered so far - here's one that hasn't been bridged, so I'll add this article to the conversation for your consideration:

I could give a sh!t what a teenage boy thinks.  
         Big M 7/11/11
          Little M 6/16/2013
                    Angel baby 5/17/2014          
  • imageohdrama09:
    imagemrsmichigander:

I had no idea I was in the minority to believe this poses a question of modesty.

K I went back and read it... My question is if a teenage boy, universally known for having the lowest maturity level of all humans, can figure out to walk out of the room or look away.... Why can't the rest of society?
    Pg with #2
  • imageIrishCoffee7:
    imageohdrama09:
    imagemrsmichigander:

Not to mention if they saw more boobs doing what they're naturally meant to do (and trust me, your boobs are NOT always at their best while BFing.  Mine are very National Geographic-esque), they might not sexualize them so heavily.  If they have seen boobs their whole life as friends and family casually fed their infants then by the time they hit 14 or 15 it would not be nearly the mystery or jaw-dropper that it is in the article.  How do people not  understand that?  I'm not really one to go bare in public, in part because I have very large breasts and I am not that comfortable with the attention...but I nurse in public, sometimes without a cover, being discreet if I can.  And I do it in part BECAUSE people just need more exposure to the "normalcy" that is nursing.  Not to offend them.  But to create a new, healthier normal.

This is very well said.   

Big M 7/11/11
          Little M 6/16/2013
                    Angel baby 5/17/2014          
  • imageIrishCoffee7:
    imageohdrama09:
    imagemrsmichigander:

Not to mention if they saw more boobs doing what they're naturally meant to do (and trust me, your boobs are NOT always at their best while BFing.  Mine are very National Geographic-esque), they might not sexualize them so heavily.  If they have seen boobs their whole life as friends and family casually fed their infants then by the time they hit 14 or 15 it would not be nearly the mystery or jaw-dropper that it is in the article.  How do people not  understand that?  I'm not really one to go bare in public, in part because I have very large breasts and I am not that comfortable with the attention...but I nurse in public, sometimes without a cover, being discreet if I can.  And I do it in part BECAUSE people just need more exposure to the "normalcy" that is nursing.  Not to offend them.  But to create a new, healthier normal.

Insert thumbs up here!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"