March 2013 Moms

Recall - Nap Nanny

Good morning ladies,

Just wanted to give an update on one of the baby lounger's that has been recalled by major retailers.  I had thought about registering for one because other mom's had recommended them, so I figured I would put the word out.  The reason I didn't is because it didn't have any sort of belt/harness for the baby to be secured.  Hence the recall...

www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml13/13083.html

Re: Recall - Nap Nanny

• Is this recall like the bumbo recalls where it's not really the actual product, the falls happen because the idiot parents put these things on counters and stuff? That was my impression.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • image Abeja1226:
    Is this recall like the bumbo recalls where it's not really the actual product, the falls happen because the idiot parents put these things on counters and stuff? That was my impression.

Exactly what I'm wondering... The RnP has a harness, but I never used it. I stopped using the RnP before he could go anywhere..
    Ann image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yeah, parents were also putting the nap nanny in a bed or crib which the manufacturer says NOT to do, and then leaving the baby UNATTENDED. So some babies rolled out of it and suffocated. My heart goes out to the people but you just can't do that, its not intended for that. Are they going to recall bathtubs because enough people left their baby alone in on and they drowned?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• This was actually the first item we received from our registries and from my mom, so I'm a little bummed.  It's no big deal, we should be able to return it to BBB for something else on our registry, but after reading extensively about the reasons for the recall, it really does sound like the injuries/deaths were from people placing the nap nanny in the crib or on a high surface and then leaving the baby unattended.  The model that we have is the Chill, and it specifically says on a warning tag sewed to the front not to do either of those things, along with some other things like moving it while the baby is laying on it.  I planned to put the baby in it, on the floor, when I am doing chores or when we are watching TV and not to place it in the crib or leave the baby in it to sleep while unattended, so I personally think there would be no risks to keeping ours.  DH's points were that, even if we're smart people, what if someone who is here caring for the baby uses it the wrong way and that it's not really an essential item, so is it really worth the risk?  If it were our crib that was recalled, I guess I wouldn't be making up excuses for why it really isn't so unsafe.  So, I guess we will return it and get a bouncer that can basically be used for the same thing I wanted it for -- although I would think the bouncer would present the exact same problems if placed in a crib or on a countertop.   
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• image Abeja1226:
    Is this recall like the bumbo recalls where it's not really the actual product, the falls happen because the idiot parents put these things on counters and stuff? That was my impression.

I think people were also putting them in cribs, which is a huge no no !!! I'm disappointed that this product is no longer available. I've heard from multiple people that the nap nanny is fantastic and really helps with babys who have acid reflux. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • image aeb20:

image Abeja1226:

I think people were also putting them in cribs, which is a huge no no !!! I'm disappointed that this product is no longer available. I've heard from multiple people that the nap nanny is fantastic and really helps with babys who have acid reflux. 

This is exactly what happened.. It did have a harness.. I had to pull it from my registry.. I'm still hoping I can snag one though. I really feel awful for anyone who lost a child, but the product's packaging is CLEARLY marked to not use in cribs, or on raised surfaces.. and NEVER leave your infant unattended.  it seemed like common sense to me but...

IAmPregnant Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic