September 2012 Moms

rice cereal?

So, while we were at my mother in laws house yesterday, dd (14wo) ate about every 2 hours (like always!) And both mother in law and sister in law said "She needs to be on Rice Cereal...She's obviously not satisfied!" I'm EBF and don't normally take parenting advice from either of them!!! But it got me thinking...am I doing something wrong?

Re: rice cereal?

• No, my LO eats every 23 hrs also. At some point it was the norm to give cereal at 4 months, not anymore.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Keep doing what you are doing. As long as your LO is gaining and your pedi is satisfied, no need to do anything different.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Nope, you're doing great. :) Keep doing what you're doing! Marian nurses every 2-3 hours too. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Marian Abigail :: born 9-16-2012 via emergency C/S
    BFP on 11-14-2014, aiming for a VBAC

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Dd is ebf and goes every 2-3 hrs between feedings too. I don't take parenting advice from anyone unless I ask for it. My mom has been great about only giving me advice when I ask!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You are doing everything right! My LO is EBF and still eats every 2 hours like clockwork during the day. Sometimes she goes longer but usually only if she is sleeping! It is completely normal. Rice cereal is full of unnecessary calories that your baby doesn't need. As long as your baby is satisfied and gaining weight you are fine!
                         Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
  • You are doing just fine! E eats every 2-3 hours normally. This week it has been every 1.5-2 hours.

We got a lot of unsolicited advice regarding feeding our kid this holiday too. Some was just downright rude, but we just ignored it. He is happy and healthy, so we are doing well.  

• Rice cereal used to be the norm for adding to bottles. It has less calories than BM, so the thought that it is better or will make them sleep more isn't usually believed any more. You are doing fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DHs grandmother told me that I wasn't giving DS a "strong" enough formula bc he wasn't consistently sleeping all night long. Then I got told that he clearly needed cereal bc he was smiling already. No idea where that came from?

A lot of what I'm told re: feeding, I just smile and nod and do what I want anyway.
    Little B 9.20.12
  • Yeah I still feed ds breastfed every 2 to 3 hours. And have been told by a lot of people that I need to add rice cereal to make him sleep through the night. What I don't get is that ds is 99th percentile weight and 95 for height so clearly he's doing fine..yet his size is exactly the reason people tell me to add rice cereal..somehow him growing well means he's not satisfied by breastmilk alone? I don't follow that logic at all
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards