Pregnant after a Loss

Do you think they'll pull me from work?

I'm an ER nurse, so I work 12 hour shifts and am on my feet pretty much the whole time. My hospital no longer has any kind of "light duty" option aside from work-related injuries, so if I can't do my job, I'm kind of out of luck.

Friday night and Saturday morning I had constant belly cramps with achiness in my back, hips and thighs when I would lay down. After talking to the on-call doc and trying tylenol without relief, I went to L&D where I was having distinct contractions, which I couldn't feel individually, but I just hurt constantly. They ended up watching me for a few hours, giving me some terbutaline to stop the contractions (which worked for about 30 minutes and then they came back, but less intense than before) and let me go, telling me to stay home from work until my next appointment which is Thursday morning. They said it may have to do with a minor YI I'm being treated for, but other than that they weren't sure of a cause.

Yesterday and today, any time I do anything "active" like go to the grocery store, make a salad, or wrap a present, the cramping and the back/hip/thigh pain comes back, but gets better with rest. The similar symptoms makes me concerned that I'm contracting again, with activity. I haven't called the on-call doctor about this since I can stop the pain with rest and I reeeally don't want to call them on Christmas. If it gets bad, I'll call, or call tomorrow, but meanwhile I'm restricting my activity and hoping it improves.

The doctor I'm seeing on Thursday is not the one who was on call this weekend, and I don't know this doctor as well as the others, so I have no idea what to expect. I'm hesitant about going to work if I'm contracting with activity, but the thought of possibly being pulled from work and/or placed on bedrest doesn't thrill me either.

Anyone ever have a similar experience that might give me an idea of what to expect?

Sorry this got so long -- here's an assortment of desserts for getting to the end

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Congrats to both my TTC buddies, Amberley18 and sb2006 on their beautiful babies!

Re: Do you think they'll pull me from work?

• I don't have an answer for you and I'm not nearly as far along as you but I hope you get an answer you want but is also best for you and your LO. For today, enjoy your rest!
    BFP#1 11/25/11 EDD 08/09/12 MMC 01/30/12 D&C 02/01/12
    BFP#2 09/11/12 beta1=72 @13dpo beta2=160 @14dpo beta3=over 6000 @24dpo U/S @7w2dd hb=146bpm U/S @8w5d hb=159bpm U/S @12w hb=164bpm
    EDD 05/20/13
    My Ovulation Chart
  • My mom is an ER nurse as well and I know any time in the past when she has been unable to do her normal work load from injuries or whatever she would get put in triage. Is that an option for you maybe? That way your still working but it isn't necessarily as strenuous as working on the floor? I hope you can come up with something that works out for you.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMrsRiceARoni:
    My mom is an ER nurse as well and I know any time in the past when she has been unable to do her normal work load from injuries or whatever she would get put in triage. Is that an option for you maybe? That way your still working but it isn't necessarily as strenuous as working on the floor? I hope you can come up with something that works out for you.

We tend to offer that to pregnant ladies but it's more of a courtesy than anything, so I don't know if I can guarantee it. I'll have to mention it to my charge nurse and manager if that would be reasonable. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Congrats to both my TTC buddies, Amberley18 and sb2006 on their beautiful babies!
  • I had some similar issues with my last pregnancy, and was put on modified activity restriction.  I'm a nurse too, and there was a limit to what they could restrict at work so I tried to limit as much outside of work as I could.

Non-work changes including having to use a wheelchair when shopping or running errands.  I was fine as long as I didn't walk around too much.  I was also supposed to rest at home as much as possible.  Once I hit full term the restrictions were lifted because it didn't matter if I went into labor. 

Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • I'm an OR/Recovery Room Nurse, and I'm facing a similar dilemma. If your work offers you the ability to work in triage, I suppose that sort of counts as "light duty" in comparison to working in a pod, so if your OB requests modified duties for you I'd hope they'd be considerate enough to put you in there.

At my work we had a nurse who required modified duties at around 32 weeks or so, and she had to go on short term disability because our unit couldn't accommodate her. I'm just about 18 weeks along, and can barely move lately without crazy hip/leg pain and cramping, so I'm worried I'll soon face the same fate.

I sincerely hope you're able to get some modified duties at work if that's what is required, but at the same time I understand the amount of work even a triage nurse has to do, and if you're having such difficulties even performing basic activities without problem it might be better to be off work for awhile. 

FX for a good appointment on Thursday! Are you hoping for some modified duties? 

First M/C - March 2006, pregnancy not known about.
    BFP#1 03/17/12 DD 11/09/12 Missed MC 05/14/12 (No growth past 9wk1d) D&C 05/22/12
    Removal of Ovarian Cyst 07/27/12
    BFP#2 09/17/12 DD 05/29/13 STICK BABY STICK!

PgAL MARCH SIGGY CHALLENGE: PET SHAMING

imageBabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • imagetdmd09:

imageMrsRiceARoni:
    My mom is an ER nurse as well and I know any time in the past when she has been unable to do her normal work load from injuries or whatever she would get put in triage. Is that an option for you maybe? That way your still working but it isn't necessarily as strenuous as working on the floor? I hope you can come up with something that works out for you.

We tend to offer that to pregnant ladies but it's more of a courtesy than anything, so I don't know if I can guarantee it. I'll have to mention it to my charge nurse and manager if that would be reasonable. 

This.  I am an ER nurse as well, and I was very lucky and worked without restrictions up until 2 nights ago (which was my last night).  But starting at about 37 weeks, they put me in triage every shift as a courtesy.  I have worked with some ladies whom had to be in triage every shift for different pregnancy complications.  I do not see why they wouldnt put you out there. 

BFP#1 -3/18/12- M/C 3/31/12,
    BFP#2 -4/25/12, Beta#1 17dpo= 800, Beta#2 20dpo= 3800, Ethan James born 1-5-13

BFP#3- February 2015- natural miscarriage

BFP#4- June 2015- Ruptured ectopic, severe hemorrhage and loss of left tube on 7/10/2015

BFP#5- 12/18/15

• I'm a nurse, too... And recently put on bedrest. I was in the hospital for 5 days about a week and a half ago for preterm labor. I was contracting every 4 minutes and 1cm so they gave me terb, steroids for baby's lungs and had me on mag for nearly three days. My dr said absolutely no work til 35 weeks, modified bedrest and procardia every 8 hrs. I've definitely been contracting less since I've been taking it easy and as much as I want to go back to work, I know this is the best thing :( GL with your appointment! 
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
     TTC since 07/2010 BFP #1 11/10/11 Natural MC at 6w4d BFP #2 01/23/12 MC at 12w. 2x Cytotek 1x Methergen; Genetic testing found Factor V Leiden and MTHFR. Started extra Folic Acid and Baby Aspirin then Lovenox BFP #3 07/02/12 EDD 3/13/13 . Rainbow Baby born at 37 weeks, all natural, after 10 weeks of bedrest. BFP #4 ST. PATTY'S DAY 2014. EDD 11/25/14 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"