December 2012 Moms

Formula Moms

My BM never came in despite trying everything my LC told me to do including fenogreek and pumping. So now we are formula feeding...something I had never expected to do and hadn't really looked into before. Based on our LC's recommendation, we are feeding her Infamil and Similac Newborn ready made bottles. These are easy to use but are getting pricey as she eats more and more. We are going to the pediatrician on Wednesday and were going to ask about using powdered formula. What do you all use?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Formula Moms

• powdered similac and when the free samples i have run out we will switch to Kirkland brand (Costco).

• My older girls got both bm and formula, and we used similac advance with both, but I have also used the Member's Mark brand (Sam's club) and Target brand with no problems.
    Mama of 3 earth babies and 1 beautiful angel baby
  • We were supplementing for a bit with formula until my BM came in and our pediatrician recommended Gerber Good Start Protect. 

.ETA: We were using the Similac ready-to-use bottles before that.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I use Enfamil powder for my newborn and used it for my toddler when she was little we got coupons in the mail for 5 off, too, which was good.
  • We started in the hospital with enfamil gentlease ready made 2oz bottles.  Once they started taking more than 2 ounces we switched to powder.  We use regular enfamil and similac interchangebly (whatever is on sale or we have a coupon for).  So far they are doing fine switching back and forth. 
  • I did a ton of research when I was going to have a foster infant and there is some pretty nasty stuff in a bunch of the formulas.  The one I found that was ok was called "Baby's Only".  The others have some petroleum products in them-- yikes!!  Good luck, and so sorry to hear you've had trouble!
    m/c 12/20/09 @ 5 1/2 weeks ~ CP 1/25/09 @ 4 weeks ~ missed m/c 4/6/10 (stopped growing @ 6 weeks, stayed with me until 10) ~Foster parent to B, 9/10-1/12~ Proud Mother of Gage Stephen, born 12/26/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had the same thing happen to me and had to go to formula as well. We go the Similac Newborn ready made bottles and then two big bottles of it from the pediatrician. We have used the Similac Advance powder and Target brand of formula. Lexi is really gasy so we switch over to the Similac Sensitive.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • I had the same thing happen to me and had to go to formula as well. We got the Similac Newborn ready made bottles and then two big bottles of it from the pediatrician. We have used the Similac Advance powder and Target brand of formula. Lexi is really gasy so we switch over to the Similac Sensitive.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • image kmount:
    I did a ton of research when I was going to have a foster infant and there is some pretty nasty stuff in a bunch of the formulas. nbsp;The one I found that was ok was called "Baby's Only". nbsp;The others have some petroleum products in them yikes!! nbsp;Good luck, and so sorry to hear you've had trouble!

I 2nd Baby's only organic. I get it off amazon and its very reasonable. We're doing BFing , pumping and formula because my lo had a tongue tie and still isn't transferring that well.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • We are using Similac...we have the sensitive that we are feeding him most of the time now but we are slowly switching to the Similac Advance (blue & white container).

My sister prefers Enfamil...we never tried it so, I don't know about it.

we keep the ready-made bottles handy for when we need to go somewhere.  We took him to my grandmothers yesterday and took those so he could eat during our visit. He eating 2oz so it works for now. We had the pre-made formula in the larger container for middle of the night feelings...it was easier than measuring out the powder :) we ran out but I'm thinking about getting more tomorrow :) I'm all about keeping it simple at 3am

Anniversary
  • I signed up on Similac's website and got 2 big containers of powder in the mail for free. We are using the ready-feed Similac advanced, and when those are gone, well use the 2 bottles of concentrate the hospital gave us, then the powder, and then we'll go with whatever worked best for us (or is cheaper, if all 3 seem to be fine)

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
    BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
    BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

• We were using the enfamil ready made bottles in the hospital and when we ran out of those we just switched to the enfamil premium newborn powder.
    Adalyn Raine was born 11/29/12 at 7:51 am