Breastfeeding

What do I do when I feel letdown but

baby isn't awake and wanting to eat?  Do I pump?  It happens all the time to me...at least once an hour.  I've been having to breastfeed, bottle feed either bm or formula, and then pump afterwards as per my lactation consultant since Kyla wasn't gaining weight well.  I would really like to eventually get back to only breastfeeding and occasionally pumping.
Mama of 3 earth babies and 1 beautiful angel baby

Re: What do I do when I feel letdown but

• In your situation, you could maybe pump if you have time, but you don't have to do anything.  (I would pump until you are making enough BM to only supplement LO with BM).  We had to do the same thing in the early days because of weight gain concerns. What really helped us was renting a scale and only supplementing for feeds where LO didn't take at least 2oz. (She was eating 11-12x/day at that age).
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    ♥ BFP #3 2/7/14 - My BFP chart - EDD 10/20/14♥
    ♥ BFP #2 9/18/11 Nicole Evelyn born 5/17/12 at 38w3d ♥

♥ BFP #1 11/20/10 hb 12/14/10 natural m/c 12/25/10 at 8w3d ♥
     • Fateful appt. 2/11: Saline sono - polyp; thyroid nodule...it's cancer •  Hysteroscopy to remove polyp 3/17/11 •
    Total thyroidectomy (papillary carcinoma) 4/4/11
    RAI 5/9/11• Laparoscopic fibroid removal 11/2012
    ♦ Cancer free since May 2011 ♦

• image theresat858:
    In your situation, you could maybe pump if you have time, but you don't have to do anything.  (I would pump until you are making enough BM to only supplement LO with BM).

I agree with this. While it's a pain, it will help you replace that formula with BM, and will increase your supply. To make it easier, just refrigerate your pump parts between uses.  

imageimage
    Homebirthing, babywearing, cloth diapering, young mama to two beautiful babies
    and married to my best friend in the world.
    imageimage