I started a new job two weeks ago, and I have no idea how to tell my employer that we're waiting to be matched. I stayed at my old job, where I was miserable, for more than a year longer than I should have, because I was worried that I'd get a new job and we'd get matched right away. Well, we got a call for a matching situation a week after I started, and we're waiting now to hear what the mother's decision will be.
This is our 8th (? I forget, it's been so many) matching situation, and there are 26 other waiting couples with our agency right now, so I know our odds of this being the one are slim. But my hubby is urging me to tell my boss, just in case, rather than wait until we're matched and springing it on her. I really like it here, and I'd like to maximize the chance that they'll keep me on, at least part time, after the baby comes.
What would you do? Would you wait until you've been here a while longer, with the assumption that this won't be our match, or woud you just go ahead and forewarn them?
I talked to my boss and told her about the adoption. She had a lot of questions, and seemed really positive about it. She said that my job is in no way jeaopardized by our situation, and they'll work with me to come up with the time off I need, and a schedule that will work for us after the placement. I knew there was probably nothing to worry about, but I'm glad her reaction was so great!