Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Vaccines

I have never really put alot of thought into whether or not I would have my dd get her vaccines, just thought we'd go with the flow. Well now people talking about it to me has me slightly concerned and I would love to know what your vaccine plan is and why. I want to hear all sides of this, she is only 3 weeks but i want to make my informed decision so when 2 month rolls around i have a plan. Thanks Smile
imageimage
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BabyFruit Tickerimage

Re: Vaccines

• Ds gets all his vaccines on time. I figure the cdc who and aap know more than I do.
  • I have always considered getting vaccines important. Just because of how sick I was of a child and I understand some do not agree with this and that is okay. I just go by the American Academy of Pediatrics and Parents mag. and only get those shots. I would possibly go to your pedi and ask for a pamplet or something about the vaccines and do some research on them if you are a little sketched out about the vaccines. Hope this helps.
    Colty Bug's Mommy
  • My older two children received vaccines on schedule, and I plan to do the same with my new LO. 
  • image lyndsihutson:
    Well now people talking about it to me has me slightly concerned and I would love to know what your vaccine plan is and why.

Are these people medically trained? Have they provided you with evidence-based reasons why you should be concerned about vaccines? Do they know that the study linking vaccines and autism has been revealed to be fraudulent? Have they read about the morbidity and mortality rates of the diseases that the vaccines are designed to prevent?

I suspect the answer to these questions is no. If you truly want to make an informed decision, you would investigate these things. If, like me and most of us new moms, you don't have the time or energy to do this research, you would place your trust in someone who has, such as your doctor or the AAP. And, to answer your question, I am vaccinating my daughter. I am also a physician and know how lethal some of these illnesses can be.

• image CK2MD:

image lyndsihutson:
    Well now people talking about it to me has me slightly concerned and I would love to know what your vaccine plan is and why.

Are these people medically trained? Have they provided you with evidence-based reasons why you should be concerned about vaccines? Do they know that the study linking vaccines and autism has been revealed to be fraudulent? Have they read about the morbidity and mortality rates of the diseases that the vaccines are designed to prevent?

I suspect the answer to these questions is no. If you truly want to make an informed decision, you would investigate these things. If, like me and most of us new moms, you don't have the time or energy to do this research, you would place your trust in someone who has, such as your doctor or the AAP. And, to answer your question, I am vaccinating my daughter. I am also a physician and know how lethal some of these illnesses can be.

You are correct, and thats why i need to hear other points of view on it. I dont completely trust online research about it because i feel it can be biased. Other moms keep bringing up the dangers of MMR...and i just dont understand why doctors would put it in their little bodies if it were harming the babies. I plan on doing what i need to protect my DD from any illnesses. But now that its been planted in my head, its got my attention.

imageimage
    BabyFruit Tickerimage
  • I'd start by reading dr. Sears vaccine book as it is a great place to start.
    [CENTER]image [/CENTER]

[CENTER]imageimage [/CENTER]
  • If you want to delay or skip certain vaxes you need to also look at lifestyle choices (ie is your baby breastfeed and not in daycare?) for me DTaP is done on schedule as the risk of pertussis is too great.  We skip hep b until school aged as it is mostly transmitted sexually.  Same w chicken pox as id rather my child have natural immunity, but will vax for it age 10 or 11 if they haven't acquired it yet.  Hep A according to my pedi is an optional vax. Will do polio when younger.  Did MMR but after age two and skip rotavirus as I breastfeed and I don't like the side effects.  I do vax for HiB and Pc, but I hold off on Pc until they are older so that they don't need as many doses.
    [CENTER]image [/CENTER]

• And one last thing in response to the AAP recommendation.  Moms all the time, myself included, pick and choose which of the AAP recommendations they want to follow.  For instance, the AAP recommends breastfeeding, rear facing until the child outgrows their carseat, and room sharing until six months and yet many moms on this board do not follow all of those recommendations.
    [CENTER]image [/CENTER]

• I vaccinate my kid according to the pediatrician's schedule.  He has more well visits but never more than 3 shots per visit and he's still on track with the recommended schedule of the CDC/AAP.

I vaccinate because I don't want to lose my child to a horrible disease that is easily preventable.  And because I don't want him to contribute to the loss of herd immunity which is killing people who are medically unable to be vaccinated.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We use a delayed schedule to space the shots out a little more (he never gets more than 2 at once unless we opt to add a flu vaccine or something).  He happens to get pretty high fevers after vaccines so I'm happy to limit them to 2 at a time. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • image anonsouthernbell:
    I'd start by reading dr. Sears vaccine book as it is a great place to start.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/123/1/e164.full

• image mabenner1:

image anonsouthernbell:
    I'd start by reading dr. Sears vaccine book as it is a great place to start.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/123/1/e164.full

ive read that before and it doesn't. Change my stance that I think it is a good non-biased book.  And in regards to this:

Vaccine Mandates Should Be Eliminated

Sears thinks that vaccines should be optional. ?Only twenty states allow parents to decline some or all vaccines at public school registration on the basis of personal beliefs,? writes Sears. ?Parents who decline vaccination in [some] states can have their children taken away from them.? Sears fails to mention that enforcement of vaccine mandates, which were initiated because of measles outbreaks that swept across the United States in the middle 1970s, has dramatically reduced hospitalizations and deaths resulting from vaccine-preventable diseases3,4 or that states with philosophical exemptions have higher rates of vaccine-preventable diseases (such as pertussis), compared with states without such exemptions.5 His claim that unvaccinated children have been removed from the home is alarming and false, only inflaming an already frightened public.

I disagree.  As a Christian mom I should have the right to decline vaccinations produced with aborted fetal tissue if I feel so called.  (We still went ahead w. them but parents should have the option if they feel so morally inclined). 

[CENTER]image [/CENTER]

• I plan on following the normal schedule. According to the CDC and AAP, there is no evidence proving that autism is caused by vaccination.