High-Risk Pregnancy

31 weeks 5 cm dilated & 80% effaced

Hi all, I'm hoping to hear the stories of people who have been in the same situation. I'm currently 31 weeks and 2 days pregnant with my first child, 5 cm dilated and 80% effaced. The baby's head down, -2 station. I've been hospitalized for the past week and a half after my midwife discovered I was 3 cm dilated with bulging membranes but was just discharged today since my cervix has remained unchanged for 5 days now. I'm on modified bedrest, diagnosed with an incompetent cervix.

The scary thing is that I don't know when I'm dilating. Sometimes I have a lot of Braxton Hicks or some pelvic pressure and the docs find no change in my cervix and other times, I feel fine and I find out I've dilated 2 cm! At least I'm going to be followed very closely by my clinic so they'll be able to check me periodically.

I've asked my doctor when she thinks I'll deliver and she says her best guess is 1-3 weeks but that you can never really know. What do you guys think? Anyone been in a similar situation? If so, how far along did you make it?

Thanks! 

Re: 31 weeks 5 cm dilated & 80% effaced

• You will most likely deliver in the next few weeks but an exact day is unsure.  Have they given you the steroid shots yet?  If not I would suggest them ASAP!  I haven't been in your exact situation but I was dialated a little over 1 at 28 weeks and the high risk Dr knew then that I would go before 40 weeks and I did.

I think everyones situation will be different and there are people that walk around dialated for weeks.  The only advice I can give is to call and go get checked anything that worries you and make sure you get the stroid shots....I don't think they will stop labor at this point since your already 5cm but know that even if LO comes today they will do great in the NICU.  Keep off your feet as much as possible and try and take it one day and week at a time.

Good luck!

• Honestly, everyone is different, dear. I've had a friend in a similar situation who delivered very early, and myself, I probably would have been pregnant forever if my OB didn't break my water.

However, best of luck to you. I hope you're able to keep that little one in there as long as possible! 

• Loading the player...
  • I second about getting the steroid shots. Baby is going to come whenever it wants so all you can do now is stay off your feet and keep going to the doctor. I was dx with incompetent cervix at 20 weeks and had to have and emergent cerclage. This passed weekeend I had to stay in the hospital to be monitored for preterm labor. Im 1 cm dilated and 80% effaced and baby is at 0 station. My doctor thinks I can hold him in a couple more weeks until he removes my cerclage but its all up to baby.

Stay off your feet and rest as much as possible! Pay attention to your body and call your doctor if you feel worried about anything, always better to get checked out. Best of luck to you and your LO. Keep us updated!! T&P

• Thanks for your input. Yes, they started the steroids the moment my midwife discovered how dilated I was so I'm relieved about that. I know I'm lucky to be at 31 weeks since outcomes are so good at this point but still... the 31 weekers we saw in the NICU were so tiny it broke my heart. I will definitely try to take it easy, as much as I feel like cleaning the house and preparing the nursery!
  • T&P's for you LO to stay put as long as possible!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I walked around 6cm dilated with my 3rd for 6 weeks!  Even then, the only reason I went into labor was that they broke my water (due to other complications). I never thought I could stay pregnant, especially with two earlier cases of PROM, but my body held strong. Good luck!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Mrsbhk, how did you get to 6 cm? Did you have distinct episodes of preterm labor? Do you have an incompetent cervix? 
  • I pray you keep that baby in as long as possible. You have made it to 31 weeks which gives your baby a good chance of having minimal complications. Take it easy and good luck.
  • Good luck! You are in my prayers :)
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagejgordo:
    Mrsbhk, how did you get to 6 cm? Did you have distinct episodes of preterm labor? Do you have an incompetent cervix? 

i have a history of PTL.  Didn't recognize it with DS1 but caught it with DS2and DD. I was on progesterone shots the last time. I truly think they helped. In hindsight, I was having contractions for awhile, but thought it was normal pregnancy aches and pains.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"