November 2012 Moms

cries all sound the same to me

From what Ive read, you are supposed to be able to tell different cries based on baby's needs but I am having trouble telling the difference, seems like she always wails when she needs something....does this come with time?  She is 3.5 weeks old.
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: cries all sound the same to me

• I took a class on swaddling and the instructor said the following:

NEH - hungry

EH - Gas

EAIRH (growling) - lower gas

HEH (breathy/ whisper) - Uncomfortable 

OWH (yawn/ oval mouth) - sleepy

I noticed B making the different sounds (especially when hungry) from pretty much the beginning. Hope this helps! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• image kbl13:

I took a class on swaddling and the instructor said the following:

NEH - hungry

EH - Gas

I noticed B making the different sounds (especially when hungry) from pretty much the beginning. Hope this helps! 

At risk of sounding totally silly, what do the acronyms stand for?  

For me, I have been able to learn more about M's cries.  Sometimes I have to also look for other cues which I believe the PP was also saying.  If he's hungry he usually smacks his lips, roots around or sucks on his hand.  If he's tired he starts yawning.  Sometimes he fusses when I lay him down.  If he makes a couple short cries I usually wait and see what he will do next - if he's just "talking" or if he needs something.  If he continues to fuss or if it turns into crying he usually just wants to be held or might need a diaper change.  Sometimes I have no idea why he's crying so I just go through the list (feed, diaper change, snuggle, sleep, etc) and try everything until he is happy again. 

I think that there are lots of similarities between babies/children, but I also believe that no two babies are exactly the same.  As my pediatrician said, "You might have read the parenting books, but your baby hasn't!"  What works for one baby might not work for another and one baby's cry might mean something different for another.  I think as time goes on and we spend more time getting to know our LOs we will begin to better understand exactly what their cries mean.  Hang in there - the fact that you're trying to learn how to best help your baby shows that you are trying to be the best mom that you can :)

Photobucket
    "For this child I prayed; and the LORD has given me my petition which I asked of him:"
    -1 Samuel 1:27 Lilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • DH and I have tried to figure out if D cries differently. Honestly they all sound the same to me, I have to watch his body cues more than listening to the cry. 

So far we have only noticed one cry that is different and it was by accident. His finger got caught in the fold over mitten flap on a onesie and that cry was very distinct.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • image jLeigh0709:
    image kbl13:

NEH - hungry

EH - Gas

Not acronyms, those are the different sounds...  Like when he is hungry I hear a definite "neh" sound because he's moving his tongue to the roof of his mouth like he is eating 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• image kbl13:
    image jLeigh0709:
    image kbl13:

NEH - hungry

EH - Gas

Not acronyms, those are the different sounds...  Like when he is hungry I hear a definite "neh" sound because he's moving his tongue to the roof of his mouth like he is eating 

Ohh gotcha.  That makes sense :)

Photobucket
    "For this child I prayed; and the LORD has given me my petition which I asked of him:"
    -1 Samuel 1:27 Lilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • image kbl13:
    image jLeigh0709:
    image kbl13:

NEH - hungry

EH - Gas

That's awesome! I've been saying when Z cries it sounds like 'meh/neh'. Now I know! Well, I already knew because he only really screams like that when he's hungry, but yeah. Ty.

• DH and I just said that we can mostly tell when she's hungry vs. when she needs to be changed. She really screams when she's hungry. And does like a short little sqwak when she's wet or dirty. We don't really notice a distinct sound, although I haven't paid that close attention.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image kbl13:
    I took a class on swaddling and the instructor said the following:NEH hungryEH GasEAIRH growling lower gasHEH breathy/ whisper Uncomfortablenbsp;OWH yawn/ oval mouth sleepynbsp;I noticed B making the different sounds especially when hungry from pretty much the beginning. Hope this helps!nbsp;

Brilliant! And I can say in W's case some of these are spot on. Plus, I can differentiate her hungry cry cause she throws a little vibrato in there toward the end. Cool.

• In my experience, I've never been able to tell the difference... I know their schedule, so I know what the possible problem is... if that doesn't work, I check the other possibilities.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image ksherwood:
    From what Ive read, you are supposed to be able to tell different cries based on baby's needs but I am having trouble telling the difference, seems like she always wails when she needs something....does this come with time?  She is 3.5 weeks old.

Maybe she gets frustrated quickly? I notice the different sounds but if I wait to long to do something about it she just starts angry crying. 

The only one I really recognize immediately is her hungry cry, which isn't even really a cry, she just starts yelling.

If she is super fussy after eating and I know she isn't overtired then I know I haven't burped her well enough.

When she has lower gas she moves a lot trying to work it out along with the cry. Arches her back, etc.

It took me some time to associate the sounds, the differences can be pretty subtle. It's been a lot of trial and error and guessing and about 25% of the time I am still unsure what she wants.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    image image
  • image kbl13:
    I took a class on swaddling and the instructor said the following:NEH hungryEH GasEAIRH growling lower gasHEH breathy/ whisper Uncomfortablenbsp;OWH yawn/ oval mouth sleepynbsp;I noticed B making the different sounds especially when hungry from pretty much the beginning. Hope this helps!nbsp;

This. You tube baby language, there's a lady that talks about this on Oprah.. It's a 16 min video.. Gives examples of what they sound like
    050 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The video was interesting. We are going to see if it works for us. Worth a try. Many times I go by time of day. Doesn't always work.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards