April 2012 Moms

PSA: Instagram claiming rights to sell your photos

I don't use Instagram, but I thought I'd pass this along.  

I don't know what the previous terms of service were, but Instagram's new terms of service, beginning January, claim the right to use your information and photos in ads. I checked this out.

Here's the CNN article: http://money.cnn.com/2012/12/18/technology/social/instagram-sell-photos/

And here's the link to Instagram's terms of use: http://instagram.com/about/legal/terms/updated/

This is taken straight from the updated terms of use on their website. "You agree that a business or other entity may pay us to display your username, likeness, photos (along with any associated metadata), and/or actions you take, in connection with paid or sponsored content or promotions, without any compensation to you."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: PSA: Instagram claiming rights to sell your photos

• image mkwt:

good thing i don't use instagram

Me too, but since Facebook recently bought it, I'm afraid they might go down this route too.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image KatFCo:
    image mkwt:

good thing i don't use instagram

Me too, but since Facebook recently bought it, I'm afraid they might go down this route too.

I don't think FB would risk that. If they did, they'd still have an option that we'd all have to go and click to keep our stuff private, but too many people would go to Google+ or something else, which is naturally bad for business for FB. I post way more pictures these days than I update my status. If I can't trust the safety of my photos, I'll use a different social media to connect with my family.

I never understood Instagram and felt like an old person for that. Why do I need Instagram to upload photos when it takes 2 seconds for me to upload it through the FB app? I must be missing something.

Micah Leonard
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • image SteelCity44:

I don't think FB would risk that. If they did, they'd still have an option that we'd all have to go and click to keep our stuff private, but too many people would go to Google+ or something else, which is naturally bad for business for FB. I post way more pictures these days than I update my status. If I can't trust the safety of my photos, I'll use a different social media to connect with my family.

I never understood Instagram and felt like an old person for that. Why do I need Instagram to upload photos when it takes 2 seconds for me to upload it through the FB app? I must be missing something.

I don't know anything about Instagram either. I just know lots of people use it, which is why I posted.

I would hope Facebook wouldn't do something like this, but they've made lots of changes over the years that people have said they would leave over--in the end, it's still wildly popular. If Instagram doesn't fold over this, they might think it's worth a shot.

• I just started using Instagram I did not know about this if that is the case i will definitely be deleting my account.