Breastfeeding

Pump or supply issue?

Hello Ladies, ftm here, and first time posting here. Sorry if I am a bit rambly, lack of sleep and all ...

LO is 4 weeks old tomorrow. My bean came at 34w and spent 2weeks in the NICU. I wasn't able to put him to breast until around day 6-7. They did not want him using more calories so he was fed via bottle NeoSure. After the first week I was able to bf him 1 or 2 times per day depending. He latched OK but in spurts. And he fell asleep quite often. The nurse said if he gets angry, don't force it, give him the bottle. So that's what I've been doing. I've been pumping since delivery though. Since he came early I was quite unprepared so the pump I am using is a single electric Evenflo one. Not the best for my situation I know but, it's what I have.

I've been giving him BM throughout the day mostly, and formula at night so that I can save my BM for the following day.

My question is this. I've only been able to pump 1.5-2oz per pump session. I usually pump every 3-4 hrs. Closer to 4 at night, closer to 3 during the day. Few days ago I could barely get 1oz. But today I seem to be getting 2oz steadily with each pump. He eats about 2-3oz. Which is why I am still supplementing with formula. I still offer him the breast during the day at each feeding. Sometimes he'll stay on for about 30-40 minutes, but he's still hungry. Or he falls asleep. And he only nurses off the right since my nip on the left is funky. He just wont take the left one. But the left one produces more. (And since I started BF it is considerably larger than the other one :( Will that go away?) And the left one is seriously sore these past couple days. Sore to the point where I don't want to pump. Ever. Again. But of course I will. The right one is fine, but the left hurts, so bad. 

I am just wondering if my issue is my cheap O pump or my supply? I'm hoping its my pump and that this will pass, and get better. Eventually, I'd love to ebf him, at the breast, and run over this pump with a tractor. 

I can't get a new pump until Jan via insurance. When I was in the hospital I was told WIC would loan me one, but at my appt they said not until January, when I go back to school. Will my supply decrease if I keep using the evenflo until then? 

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated :-/ 

Thanks 

image image
  Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Pump or supply issue?

• I would check with a lactation consultant, but honestly it sounds like you might be getting a plugged duct. The same happened to me when I tried using a hand pump. Is there anyway to just go ahead and pay for the first month breast pump rental? It would be worth it to you. Then dual pump every 2 to 3 hours and don't miss a pumping. I have to keep a real strict schedule and pump every 2 hours to prevent getting clogged milk ducts. This will help your milk supply a lot.

Another thing that has worked real well for me is Breastea. You drink it daily. I've seen a really good increase in my supply since I started it. I've actually got a freezer stash of breastmilk now, compared to the 1/2 ounce I pump when I don't use it. You might want to try that out as well. Hope that helps.

• image bigmamaisback:

I would check with a lactation consultant, but honestly it sounds like you might be getting a plugged duct. The same happened to me when I tried using a hand pump. Is there anyway to just go ahead and pay for the first month breast pump rental? It would be worth it to you. Then dual pump every 2 to 3 hours and don't miss a pumping. I have to keep a real strict schedule and pump every 2 hours to prevent getting clogged milk ducts. This will help your milk supply a lot.

This. If you are EPing for a newborn or even 1 month old, you should be using a hospital grade pump. It sounds like maybe your supply is finally actually coming in - you should be able to pump 25 ounces per day, or the same as what baby eats...but you'll have to pump every 2 hours instead of every 3-4 for that to happen (at least during the day), unless baby is successfully nursing for some of those feeds. Baby actually latching is probably what is helping your supply.  

I'm not sure about the pain, though. I'd try to consult a LC about that. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    ♥ BFP #3 2/7/14 - My BFP chart - EDD 10/20/14♥
    ♥ BFP #2 9/18/11 Nicole Evelyn born 5/17/12 at 38w3d ♥

♥ BFP #1 11/20/10 hb 12/14/10 natural m/c 12/25/10 at 8w3d ♥
     • Fateful appt. 2/11: Saline sono - polyp; thyroid nodule...it's cancer •  Hysteroscopy to remove polyp 3/17/11 •
    Total thyroidectomy (papillary carcinoma) 4/4/11
    RAI 5/9/11• Laparoscopic fibroid removal 11/2012
    ♦ Cancer free since May 2011 ♦