3rd Trimester

XP: would you go ahead with an induction?

I am really torn about getting induced tomorrow. Here are my pros and cons:

Pros:

- Baby was measuring 8lb13oz last Wednesday so the longer I wait, the bigger the baby. This could increase risk of c-section later with a massive baby.

- My doctor will be there. He is off Friday through Wednesday so I can't even get another check up for 9 days. 

- My blood pressure has been teetering on high and I am SUPER swollen. Doc is a little worried about these things.  

- Overall relief to be done!

Cons:

- My cervix is not very favorable for induction, increasing the risk of it not being successful. Another risk of csection

-  Maybe baby isn't ready to come

I am leaning towards waiting, but I am torn! What would you do?

1 Baby Girl 12/28/12 
#2 due 11/28/14
2 Angel Babies 9/11, 2/12

Re: XP: would you go ahead with an induction?

  • I would not, for the following reasons:

    1. Weight measurements are often grossly off, can be a pound in either direction I believe.  If you are a FTM, there is nothing to say you couldn't vaginally deliver a larger baby if that even was the case at that time.

    2.  I like my doctor but I like my baby's health more.  I'd never induce just to have a certain doctor on the case.  Especially since the doctor is there for all of maybe 10 minutes before you push, and mine didn't even stay the whole time I pushed last time.  He came in, looked at me, turned around and left and told the nurse to call him when the baby was ready to come out.

    3. I am, like, MASSIVELY, hugely swollen.  My bp is okay, but I'm really uncomfortable.  So long as your blood pressure isn't in scary range, I'd say try to tough out the discomfort for a few days longer, it's worth it to give your baby more time.

    (I tend to lean very much towards the "babies are meant to come when they are ready" camp in 99% of the cases) 

    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    200px by 200px photo frame-200.png

    image
  • I agree with PP I would let baby cook. I think some doctors look for a reason to induce for their convenience. Your babies size may or not be accurate and honestly isn't that huge right now. I def wouldn't induce for the convienience of my doctors schedule, and I low my doctor. I would be a little concerned about your bp, is it like really high, or just borderline. Did it spoke or has it been consistently high

     

     

     

  • Sorry for the spelling errors, fat finger on bump mobile. I also just noticed it says your bp is teetering on high, if this is the case take care of you'd elf and let you LO wait till he/she is ready

     

     

     

  • Well, you are still on 39 weeks, so I would say no.  Not yet anyway.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    image

    image
  • I wouldn't due to a lot of reasons. 

    1. Those growth scans are off, usually by a pound or more!

    2. Just b/c your doctor is there when you're induced does not mean he'll be there when you deliver.

    3. If you've already been told your cervix is not favorable this GREATLY increases your odds for a C/S.

    4. Unless you have actual preeclampsia diagnosis there's no need to induce/deliver. When it's actually preeclampsia then I'd do it.

    5. While yes it is super uncomfortable to be pregnant at the end baby will come when baby is ready.

    Google 40 reasons to go 40 weeks or something along those lines. Doctors like to say 37+ weeks is full term but more and more evidence is showing that 40 weeks is much better for baby! 


    photo be1a8386-23ff-434a-beaf-1408a16593dd_zpsd844a7d8.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    Pregnancy Ticker
    image image 
    image image
  • I agree with all of the PPs above!  I would hold off since you are not to your due date.  I've known soooo many women who have gone in for inductions and ended up with c-sections. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image PeonyPumps:

    I would not, for the following reasons:

    1. Weight measurements are often grossly off, can be a pound in either direction I believe.  If you are a FTM, there is nothing to say you couldn't vaginally deliver a larger baby if that even was the case at that time.

    2.  I like my doctor but I like my baby's health more.  I'd never induce just to have a certain doctor on the case.  Especially since the doctor is there for all of maybe 10 minutes before you push, and mine didn't even stay the whole time I pushed last time.  He came in, looked at me, turned around and left and told the nurse to call him when the baby was ready to come out.

    3. I am, like, MASSIVELY, hugely swollen.  My bp is okay, but I'm really uncomfortable.  So long as your blood pressure isn't in scary range, I'd say try to tough out the discomfort for a few days longer, it's worth it to give your baby more time.

    (I tend to lean very much towards the "babies are meant to come when they are ready" camp in 99% of the cases) 

    I totally agree with this.

    The only thing you mentioned that would be of concern to me at all is the blood pressure thing.  I don't know what your BP is like or what is has been, but if I were you I would just flat out ask your doctor, what happens if you wait, what are the potential risks, are they really worried that a few more days is really going to have an impact, etc.  I wouldn't worry at all about a "big baby" or about the doctor being on call.

    I know what it's like to be at the end of pregnancy and just want to be done, but babies come when they do for a reason.  The decisions you make right now, with this birth, can have far reaching effects.  

    imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

    my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Personally, I wouldn't. I won't rehash what's been stated, but basically I agree with previous posters. The weight estimates, especially, can be grossly off. Plus, even if the baby is big, that doesn't instantly mean CS.
    my food blog

    Zachary (4/2/10) and Ian (3/20/13)

    image
  • Nope. I would never induce if your cervix is unfavorable. DD1 was an induction from 0 and 0. 55 hours later, I had a c-section. It was super sucky, and I would never do it again.

    I'd wait. 

    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • No, I would never induce at 39 weeks without a valid medical reason (big baby doesn't count).
        
  • I would wait.  Nothing you said screams induction to me.  Baby could be 8lbs 13 oz plus or minus a pound or two.  Not a reason to induce.  Your not sure until you deliver what size baby you are able to birth. At this point all the baby is gaining is fat and fat is squishy.  Teetering on high bp is no reason.  Just wait.

  • Having been induced, I would wait.  If I could go back in time with DS, I would have waited.

    Weight measurements can be off by pounds.  Inductions are not fun and pitocin induced contractions are horrid.  You can't labor at home where you are comfortable and are stuck near the bed on monitors the entire time, also increasing your risk for a csection.  You have to endure the entire labor in the hospital.  If the baby isn't ready or isn't in an optimal position, they don't get time to turn.  I would opt out if I were you.

    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • The only thing you listed that would possibly lead me to induce is your bp issue. What has been your bp readings?  Has it been consistently teetering on high, or has it been spiking?  I would drill your doctor about his concerns regarding your bp, and if they feel you're not in any immediate danger then I would put it off.  

    If you do decide to wait it out, and can't see your doctor for 9 days, make sure you continue to monitor your bp on your own while waiting for an appointment. 

    image ?/25 my chart image
  • image PeonyPumps:
    I would not, for the following reasons:1. Weight measurements are often grossly off, can be a pound in either direction I believe. nbsp;If you are a FTM, there is nothing to say you couldn't vaginally deliver a larger baby if that even was the case at that time.2. nbsp;I like my doctor but I like my baby's health more. nbsp;I'd never induce just to have a certain doctor on the case. nbsp;Especially since the doctor is there for all of maybe 10 minutes before you push, and mine didn't even stay the whole time I pushed last time. nbsp;He came in, looked at me, turned around and left and told the nurse to call him when the baby was ready to come out.I'd say try to tough out the discomfort for a few days longer, it's worth it to give your baby more time.I tend to lean very much towards the "babies are meant to come when they are ready" camp in 99 of the casesnbsp;
    agreed. I had a csection with DS because of size, but wish I hadn't let the doctors scare me into it and had myself a little better educated. I pushed out an 8lb 14oz baby no problem, and know others who've pushed bigger babies... Follow your gut
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Inducing before 41 weeks due to a "big baby" is actually against ACOG guidelines. Which your doc is supposed to be following in order to keep his ability to practice. ACOG says that unless the baby is estimated to be over 11 pounds they cannot electively induce or C/S for that reason. The only exception is if you have GD and the baby is estimated over 9.5 lbs. U/S weight estimates can be off by 2 pounds. I wouldn't do it.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersPitaPata Dog tickersPitaPata Dog tickers
  • No, I wouldn't. I'd try OWT's if I was really concerned, but I definitely wouldn't medically induce without a sound medical reason. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yeah I was leaning towards waiting until next week. The doctor admitted he wouldn't be as concerned if the office wasn't going to be closed Monday and Tuesday, putting 9 days between our appointments. My blood pressure has been high-ish the whole pregnancy- 130s/80s-low 90s. Yesterday it was 150/100 when I went in, which is very high for me. After laying on my side it was 116/65, so really good. He said as long as I am being careful and resting, he isn't super super concerned, but my feet have gotten really swollen. But, like I said, he even admitted if he were able to monitor me more closely this week, he wouldn't even be offering it. I think I'll put myself on on the schedule for next Thursday and take it from there. Thanks for all the advice!
    1 Baby Girl 12/28/12 
    #2 due 11/28/14
    2 Angel Babies 9/11, 2/12

  • im not against inducing, but if I were you id definitely wait.  If your cervix isn't favorable that is a very strong indicator that youll need a c section.  Size estimates are rarely correct and often very far off.  However, there is a real likelihood that you could labor for HOURS and still need a c with the status of your cervix.  If you go another 9 days than youll only be 41 weeks.  I was induced twice, both a good experience and again, if I were you id definitely wait.
    image
  • Obviously you have a lot to think about, but I did want to say that I just was induced with my third child (first induction) and it was a very positive experience. Not all inductions are bad or end in c-sections. I was not at all dialated when the induction began, but as I said this is my third baby which may have affected the success of the induction. And for me, having a certain DR on call would be a factor in my decision.
    m/c March 2009 @ 5 weeks ~ m/c June 2009 @ 10 weeks ~ m/c February 2012 @ 4.5 weeks Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image PeonyPumps:

    I would not, for the following reasons:

    1. Weight measurements are often grossly off, can be a pound in either direction I believe.  If you are a FTM, there is nothing to say you couldn't vaginally deliver a larger baby if that even was the case at that time.

    2.  I like my doctor but I like my baby's health more.  I'd never induce just to have a certain doctor on the case.  Especially since the doctor is there for all of maybe 10 minutes before you push, and mine didn't even stay the whole time I pushed last time.  He came in, looked at me, turned around and left and told the nurse to call him when the baby was ready to come out.

    3. I am, like, MASSIVELY, hugely swollen.  My bp is okay, but I'm really uncomfortable.  So long as your blood pressure isn't in scary range, I'd say try to tough out the discomfort for a few days longer, it's worth it to give your baby more time.

    (I tend to lean very much towards the "babies are meant to come when they are ready" camp in 99% of the cases) 

    All of this and I will wait until 42 weeks to be induced because pitocin contrax scare the crap out of me.  I'd rather stay pregnant until the baby decides when his/her birthday will be.

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • image MrsWindyCity:
    Personally, I wouldn't. I won't rehash what's been stated, but basically I agree with previous posters. The weight estimates, especially, can be grossly off. Plus, even if the baby is big, that doesn't instantly mean CS.

    This! I hate when OB c/s based on size. My friend had to fight to deliver her 10 lb baby vaginally. She did it, and she survived. I think if your baby is not even 9lbs you should be okay. And to echo what PPs are saying, u/s can be off by a pound. If I were you I would wait till your body and your baby are ready.

    image


    image
  • Pros:

    - Baby was measuring 8lb13oz last Wednesday so the longer I wait, the bigger the baby. This could increase risk of c-section later with a massive baby.  - I wouldn't really worry too much about this.  My DS was measuring at 9.5lbs a week before I was induced and he was only 8lbs 9oz.  Plus women push larger babies out all the time, it doesn't mean you would necessarily need a section.

    - My doctor will be there. He is off Friday through Wednesday so I can't even get another check up for 9 days. - With both of my kids I did not know the person on the receiving end.  With DD my doc wasn't on call and with DS I had to deliver at a hospital three hours away from home.  IME, in that moment it doesn't matter who is getting baby out as long as someone is Wink

    - My blood pressure has been teetering on high and I am SUPER swollen. Doc is a little worried about these things.  - This would be my biggest concern.  If your doc is worried then I would listen, high BP isn't something to mess around with as I'm sure you know.

    - Overall relief to be done!

    Cons:

    - My cervix is not very favorable for induction, increasing the risk of it not being successful. Another risk of csection - I was induced and had an amazing experience.  I understand this concern but no matter what you have a risk of ending up needing a section so I wouldn't use it as a determining factor.

    -  Maybe baby isn't ready to come - Very possible, you aren't even 40 weeks yet.

    IMO, your BP is the main reason you should be considering induction.  If your docs are worried enough about it to want to induce you then you probably should go for it.  If the reason for induction are that baby might be big and your doc will be there I would wait.  Good luck with your decision!

    Image and video hosting by TinyPic                                    
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    C born 18/11/07~BFP 22/02/11 m/c 27/02/11~BFP 28/05/11 F born 30/01/12~BFP 16/12/13 EDD 26/08/14
    F TOF Repair 21/06/12
    F NS dx 26/11/12
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I would trust your doctor and do what he or she feels is best. I would go ahead with the induction if you both feel it is best. If you both dont see it as something that has to be done, then wait it out. Best of luck to you. 
  • image PeonyPumps:

    I would not, for the following reasons:

    1. Weight measurements are often grossly off, can be a pound in either direction I believe.  If you are a FTM, there is nothing to say you couldn't vaginally deliver a larger baby if that even was the case at that time.

    2.  I like my doctor but I like my baby's health more.  I'd never induce just to have a certain doctor on the case.  Especially since the doctor is there for all of maybe 10 minutes before you push, and mine didn't even stay the whole time I pushed last time.  He came in, looked at me, turned around and left and told the nurse to call him when the baby was ready to come out.

    3. I am, like, MASSIVELY, hugely swollen.  My bp is okay, but I'm really uncomfortable.  So long as your blood pressure isn't in scary range, I'd say try to tough out the discomfort for a few days longer, it's worth it to give your baby more time.

    (I tend to lean very much towards the "babies are meant to come when they are ready" camp in 99% of the cases) 

    This.  

    Pregnancy Ticker
    image
  • image erbear:

    Nope. I would never induce if your cervix is unfavorable. DD1 was an induction from 0 and 0. 55 hours later, I had a c-section. It was super sucky, and I would never do it again.

    I'd wait. 

    Same thing happened to me! If I could go back I would have just demanded the c-section in the first place because the whole experience sucked. FWIW - my DS was 8lbs 12oz.....and he was not coming out without a fight.

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards