Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

not a usual poster - 13 mo old weight loss

Hi everyone... I don't usually post here, but I wanted to get some opinions and keep finding conflicting information online. 

My 13 month old was born a big baby (9lb8oz) and is tall. Her ped. has never told me her exact percentile, and until now I've never even thought to ask, but I know she's around the 95th percentile just by when he shows me and I glance at the chart. 

She gained weight at a normal rate until about 3 weeks ago when we went for a sick visit and there was a drop. This was 3 weeks after she began walking and came off of formula.  We took her back to recheck her ears and weight and all in all over 5 weeks she dropped 15oz, so almost a full pound.  Her height is climbing at a normal rate, her energy level is great (with an off day here and there since she's had either a virus or an ear infection off and on for about 2 months now), she's happy, sleeps well, and is meeting milestones just fine.  Her ped is beyond unconcerned, although does address my concerns, and told me that it's fine and to keep doing what I'm doing.  I make sure she has balanced meals and recently started trying to up her calorie intake with butter, extra cheeses, and all whole milk when she has a drink. She won't do pediasure- she doesn't like it.  She still lost weight.

When I told him I was worried about her being failure to thrive her ped said that failure to thrive is not a diagnosis that is used for kids over a year (although online I've found that to not be true) and I'm concerned about her eating habits, which he told me are fine.  She eats a variety of foods but not a lot at any one time and I know it's not enough.  One meal here and there she may eat what I'd consider a lot, but that's a rarity.  You obviously can't force feed a 13 month old and I really don't want her to end up with some kind of eating disorder because her mother tried to jam yogurt in her mouth. 

Has this happened to anyone else? Does it sound like I should worry or just keep on keepin on how we are? Like I said, she's a seemingly happy healthy baby, it's only the weight loss and not stellar appetite that are concerning me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: not a usual poster - 13 mo old weight loss

• Options
    I have had two coworkers with failure to thrive kids. Both passed away before 6 months. In regards to your LO that would not be a concern. Remember every kiddo is different. Your LO is exploring and using muscles now that were not used in the past which is going to cause weight loss. Also she will eat when hungry. My LO gorged herself for almost four days last week cleaning her plate and wanting more. She wanted almost nothing last few days.... growth spurts. Find meals she really liked and have them as a backup plan. My LO loves spegetti. I always freeze a few leftovers in case I cant get her to eat two three meals in a row. I pull that speg out and she eats it all.
    2nd EDD 02/01/13 - MC 5 1/2 weeks 6/5/12. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageHilarityEnsued:

I guess I don't really understand the points you are making as reason for worry, when you admit that, for each point you raised with the pedi, he has said he's not concerned, that your LO is fine, and keep doing what you're doing.  It almost seems, from the tone of your post, that you are just determined to find a source of worry when there seemingly is none.

That said, it sounds like everything you are saying as far as her weight loss and appetite are normal.  Coupled with her sickess, going off formual, etc., I'd think some weight loss would be expected. 

If you are really worried, try to offer her more calorie rich foods, and just keep offering a variety of foods and letting her eat as much as she wants.

At the end of the day, if your pedi isn't worried, I'm not sure why you are sounding such an alarm.

I'm not "sounding an alarm" I was asking if anyone has experienced this and if they felt it was a cause for worry.  In general weight LOSS is not normal for a toddler, it is normal for weight gain to stop though.  It's my opinion that my ped is being to cavalier about it, but I could be wrong and this may happen to more kids than I realize ....hence my post.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DD only gained a few ounces at her 12 month check up and our pedi said we need to get more fat in her body,because carbs burn much faster. So she suggested avocado, 2 teaspoons of olive or canola oil in her food, milk,yogurt, meat every day, eggs every day, and so on. my DD is 31.5 inches and 20 Lbs. I don't want to make her fat, but I will give her the right foods. I agree with you that you can't just shove food into their mouths
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Every time my ds gets sick he loses weight. A few weeks ago he lost 2 lbs in a week from being sick. It is concerning but he does gain it back (albeit slowly) and he is eating enough. I remember hearing that a child can't starve themselves, that they will eat if they are hungry (I have no basis for this claim but it comforts me). He once refused to eat dinner and was up in the middle of the night so I believe that he will eat f he is hungry. Like you weight loss is difficult for me to bear but really it is ok as long as he begins to gain again after being sick. Also my pedi recommended that we give carnation instant breakfast (she said it was the same as pedisure) for the times when he is sick and not eating very well.  Also each scale in a pedi office is different and they could be off slightly.

• Options

"I'm not "sounding an alarm" I was asking if anyone has experienced this and if they felt it was a cause for worry.  In general weight LOSS is not normal for a toddler, it is normal for weight gain to stop though.  It's my opinion that my ped is being to cavalier about it, but I could be wrong and this may happen to more kids than I realize ....hence my post. "

Lurker and pedi nurse here.. Failure to thrive *can* occur in children over a year BUT these kiddos are so far below the growth charts it's incredible it even gets that far some times.  As toddlers grow taller, become more active and are taken off high cal formulas, they can actually loose weight.  If you don't trust your pedi enough then you should look into switching.  I personally wouldn't be too concerned.  Make sure your LO's diet is balanced and give them enough per meal and you will be fine. Relax momma!

• Options

both of my kids lost a lot of weight between 1-2 years old. They are just picky, busy, running, and loose all the baby chunk. 

Now with DD she lost a lot of weight, had texture and eating issues and when she refused milk (out of the blue but lasted 6 months) that is when we took her to an occupational therapist and we started on pediasure.

With pediasure she did gain back all the weight and went into the 50%. Both are still not getting as balanced of a diet as I think they should so at night I do mix it 80/20 or 70/30 with milk and pediasure just so they get the extra vitamins and protein into their diet.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

First, if she's been sick for 2 months, it's not surprising she would drop a little weight. She may not have had her normal appetite, which is not uncommon when a kid doesn't feel well. My girls both had many ear infections and never ate well when they felt icky.

Second, how much does she weight? If she is itty bitty and losing, that is more of a concern than if she's at a healthy weight and losing. If a 17lb 13 month lost a pound, I'd expect concern. If a 23lb 13 month old lost a pound, I'd expect less concern, etc.

My younger DD is only 18lbs 7oz at 15 months old. She's not losing weight, but her gain has slowed so much that she dropped from the 12th percentile to the 2nd in 6 months. We just got a referral to a pedi GI as a precaution, though her pedi is pretty sure she's fine and just small and super active. We're offering full fat/high fat foods, but not force feeding or stuffing her. We offer, she's in control of what she eats. Toddlers are remarkably good at regulating their food intake (in the absence of a medical issue), so I would do the same with your daughter and I'll bet her weight stabilizes as she recovers from the viruses and ear infections.  

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

First, take Failure to Thrive off your radar. The details and diagnosis behind FTT are so much more complex and detailed then just losing weight. My first was diagnosed FTT in utero and didn't live past birth. Losing a pound isn't at all related.

Secondly, it's entirely normal for kids to LOSE weight at that age. The baby chunk is coming off, they're busy, active, high metabolisms etc.

Also, being sick just like in adults can cause weight loss.

I know it's hard not to worry, but even you admit your kid is 99.9% fine otherwise..so I would cross this off your worry list. Why don't you trust your pedi on this? He's an expert, it's okay to question but don't be alarmed unless he is.

• Options
    As others have said, kids do lose weight when they start walking I read that they gain weight more slowly once they hit the 1 yr mark also. I would, however, switch peds if I were you. We switched after my sons 9 month well visit. She was very nice, but always seemed to be in too much of a hurry to move on to the next patient it seemed she was answering our questions only as she was running out the door. If your ped doesn't seem concerned enough for your liking, definetely switch. I want my ped to be as concerned as I am even if nothing is wrong. And they should also be more aware when a parent is worriedno matter what, we know our child better than anyone so ALWAYS listen to your inner voice get s second opinion. It is never wrong to be overly concerned about your child's health.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"