Parenting

Anyone else uneasy about school today?

Logically, I know that my child is still perfectly safe at school. Unfortunately, the shooting has been a total mindfuuuuck and I just feel a little sick about taking him this morning.

I hate that I feel so darn helpless and that this probably wouldn't have been prevented no matter what. I hate that I feel like I can't keep my babies safe. 

Re: Anyone else uneasy about school today?

• Yes. DS goes to a small daycare and I had a hard time leaving. I was sort of hovering. His teacher squeezed my hand and said a lot of parents seemed tense today, and that she would keep them safe.

I love his daycare, and like you, I know this isn't logical, but I'm tense.

image image
  • I don't have a child in school but I think today would be probably the safest day. I know in our town there is increased police presence in the schools and everyone is on high alert. It is when the story dies down and people stop talking about making changes that everyone is vulnerable again.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Pretty much everyone I know with a school aged child.

One of my good friends teaches ELLs at my son's old school; they have a faculty meeting in a few minutes to discuss their plans. They sent an email out yesterday with resources for discussing the situation and cautioned parents that their kids will find out from others in school.

• Definitely hugged a little tighter this morning. :(
    image image

• Yes. We go back tomorrow and then she's in dc Thursday and Friday before a week of Xmas break. I'm an irrational wreck.
  • DD attends a daycare center located in the same building as one of our state run agencies.
    This morning I was having irrational thoughts like what if one of the disgruntled employees upstairs goes nuts and targets the daycare?? Then I checked myself.
    I will not live in fear. I said I love you, did hugs and kisses, and what more can I do? I know her teachers have action plans in place for evacuations and drills so I'm sure they have a lockdown protocol, too.

Big Sister ~ Little Brother

• Not at all. School shootings are not common. There's probably more of a chance we'll get in a car wreck when I pick them up today. I can't worry about every possible danger.

• image cmeon_the_water:
    Definitely hugged a little tighter this morning. :(

Yes, this.  I was a little anxious, still am. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes, it was so so hard ;(. 
  • Today I am thankful that you need a passcode for the parent and a separate passcode for the child you are checking in to daycare.

HL meme 23

Tessa: 10.28.10                             Nora: 8.30.12

• I paused for a second, and then sent him on his way.  If I start to live in fear so will my kids, and I don't want to bring that into their lives.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image KlondikeBar:
    Not at all. School shootings are not common. There's probably more of a chance we'll get in a car wreck when I pick them up today. I can't worry about every possible danger.

This. Schools tend to be some of the safest places a kid can be. Plus, as a teacher...even though I am preggers...there is quite a lot I would do to be sure the kids in under my supervision are safe. The number one thing being to stay rational and calm in order to keep them rational and calm.

Plus, the world is ending on Friday anyway. Lol.

• I am not at all uneasy.  I work in a school and Snuggle is at daycare.  I do not let things like this ruin my sense of normalsy.  If I did, I'd be a wreck everytime something bad happened and I can't live like that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image AundreaAgain:

image KlondikeBar:
    Not at all. School shootings are not common. There's probably more of a chance we'll get in a car wreck when I pick them up today. I can't worry about every possible danger.

This. Schools tend to be some of the safest places a kid can be. Plus, as a teacher...even though I am preggers...there is quite a lot I would do to be sure the kids in under my supervision are safe. The number one thing being to stay rational and calm in order to keep them rational and calm.

I don't feel like admitting to nerves is being irrational. I was nervous. I know other parents were as well. I don't worry over everything. I don't stay up at night worrying. But Friday was horrific and I don't think it's abnormal to feel a bit uneasy. You don't have to give in to the fear or panic or be unreasonable. But to admit that you are nervous, even if you know it's silly? Admitting to nerves isn't bad.

image image
  • image RondackHiker:
    image AundreaAgain:

image KlondikeBar:

I don't feel like admitting to nerves is being irrational. I was nervous. I know other parents were as well. I don't worry over everything. I don't stay up at night worrying. But Friday was horrific and I don't think it's abnormal to feel a bit uneasy. You don't have to give in to the fear or panic or be unreasonable. But to admit that you are nervous, even if you know it's silly? Admitting to nerves isn't bad.

Nobody calleed you irrational. She's referring to what would happen if she were a teacher and there was a shooter. She'd be trying to stay calm and rational to help the kids.

HL meme 23

Tessa: 10.28.10                             Nora: 8.30.12

• I'm really glad my kids only go 3 days this week and then they are off until like January 8th.
     Lilypie - (gu1R)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• image LoisLane23:
    image RondackHiker:
    image AundreaAgain:

image KlondikeBar:

Nobody calleed you irrational. She's referring to what would happen if she were a teacher and there was a shooter. She'd be trying to stay calm and rational to help the kids.

I fail at reading. I'd put an embarrassed face here if I wasn't on mobile.

image image
  • A little but I know my daycare loves them like their own and the Director is amazing... I would not be surprised if they send letters home today.

imageimage

imageimage

image  image

• DS goes to DC T/W/Th.  I'm so glad I had him on Friday, and I'm glad that he's with DH today.  I think it gives me a bit of a psychological buffer between the Sandy Hook tragedy and our need to carry on as usual.  

• image KlondikeBar:
    Not at all.

+1

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I've been torn up over this. I was very nervous dropping DD1 off today. I had tears in my eyes as I drove out of the parking lot after dropping her off. 
  • No.  Not at all.
    promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • image KlondikeBar:

This.  I will not spend my life wondering about "What if".  Yes, this was very very tragic.  But so was my boss' 19 year old daughter dying in a car wreck this year.  I refuse to spend my life huddled up in my house out of fear...even that's not safe since the roof could collapse.  Life is precious and fragile and short.  I hope to always remember that. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Not uneasy but I felt a tug at my heart as I passed the kindergarten classroom.  Those kids usually look so big compared to mine but today they looked so young.

image   image

• I just got a random "we're having fun today" picture of my DS from his DC.  I think they knew we all needed that today.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes and no - Our school has been amazing since this happened.  We have received 3 emails with the last one coming about an hour after school started and it was just amazing.  My PreK teacher just forwarded an email that the staff all received with tips and she discussed how the day has been going (some kids know and have asked questions and others have no clue but I now know to expect some questions from my kids).  The school has a great plan in place and just put in new security doors over the summer.  Yes, I know that none of this would help in the situation like CT as he shot through the doors but I know the school is trying and the staff is amazing.  I gave my girls extra hugs and kisses and made to sure to tell them I love them and I can't wait to pick them up but I also can't live in fear and I can't let them see me in fear.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • I felt terrified going into work today. The library where I am is on the first floor and full of windows facing the back parking lot. I didn't start to relax somewhat until the end of the day. 

This is the first time that I felt anxious about going to work. I love my job and I love my kids that I work with.

Luckily none of my young kids even mentioned it--I am sure their parents shielded a lot of them, which I am very thankful for.  

My daughter is my hero.