Parenting

I am MAD.

I just can't describe it any other way. I am heartbroken for the families in CT, but I am MAD. As a teacher I know how hard we work at our school to make our students feel safe. I am furious that someone took that away.  I am furious as a mom that I am going to have that small fear in my gut when I drop my kids off at school on Monday.

I am mad that the stupid gun laws in the US made this all to easy to occur. Seriously USA, I love you guys and visit often, but get a eff'n grip when it comes to your guns!

Rebecca- mom to 3 kids: DS born 2005, DD born 2007 and DS born 2010.

Re: I am MAD.

• I understand your emotions but this is an incredibly simplistic take on this tragedy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • as mom/parent I completely understand your fear , beside home, school is supposed to be a safe place for our children. I'm heart broken for the children, the families, and the school.  But that being said, you did hear that the gun belonged to his mother right ?, he took it from his home, not sure how gun control would have prevented that. 
  • I don't see what's wrong with the OPs post and I don't see it as ill-timed or insensitive at all. 

People should be mad about this. 

imageimage

Yes.  Yes you are, Benny.  (Bonus: Chris Pine!!!!eleventy111sploosh)

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

I still remember CG telling me my legs would slide off Finnick's shoulders. In my head I said, "we really should be friends." ~LauraT25

"You are annoying and seem to have nothing better to do than talk about cookie pie and insult others." ~ Troll du jour

• I get that my thinking is simplistic. However I have thought the lax gun laws in the USA were completely ridiculous for a long time. I am just surprised they never seem to change after these kind of events.

A single school shooting in Scotland led to tighter gun laws very soon after. Mass murders in Australia in the 80's led to very tight gun control there and they saw a massive reduction in shooting deaths. I just don't think you can deny the stats coming out of the US regarding shooting deaths.

Why on earth does anyone need 5 firearms in their suburban home? And there is never a need for the average citizen to own a semiautomatic weapon of any kind.

• image CinemaGoddess:

I don't see what's wrong with the OPs post and I don't see it as ill-timed or insensitive at all. 

Thank you

• image CinemaGoddess:

I don't see what's wrong with the OPs post and I don't see it as ill-timed or insensitive at all. 

This.

Additionally, on the issue of guns, today is not the day to talk about gun control.  That should have happened in 1999 after Columbine.  

Gun control laws probably wouldn't have prevented this tragedy. My heart aches for the children who lost their lives. It aches for the parents who lost a baby. I want to curl up in a ball and cry and squeeze my babies and not ever let them leave my house, but I know I can't. 

ETA: I guess I should clarify this. (the bolded)

Our Little Lady
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Avery - 8.2.07 | Asher - 5.12.10 | Audrey - 11.28.12

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image allierhiana1:
    The guns were all purchased and owned legally, so I'm not sure where you're going with this. Also your opinions are ill timed.

I know they were purchased and owned leaglly- you are missing my point. There are entirely too many guns owned in the USA. It should not be so easy to own a gun, nor do I think people should feel it is their 'right'.

And how is this illtimed? Obviously gun control will be hottly debated after an incident like this. Perhaps tighter gun control will pervent a future tragedy.

• image rebs:
    I get that my thinking is simplistic. However I have thought the lax gun laws in the USA were completely ridiculous for a long time. I am just surprised they never seem to change after these kind of events.
    nbsp;A single school shooting in Scotland led to tighter gun laws very soon after. Mass murders innbsp;Australia in the 80'snbsp;led to very tight gun control there and they saw a massive reduction in shooting deaths. I just don't think you can deny the stats coming out of the US regarding shooting deaths.
    Why on earth does anyone need 5 firearms in their suburban home? And there is never a need for the average citizen to own a semiautomatic weapon of any kind.

I agree with you that the gun laws should have already been reevaluated and changed, before this occurred. I just also think that the causes go beyond gun laws.
  • How strict are the gun laws in Canada? 

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_liyj9bU0cC1qfqx86.gif
    M: March 2011

jap+anustart=assoulmates 4 life

• image Icarusalsoflew:
    image rebs:
    I get that my thinking is simplistic. However I have thought the lax gun laws in the USA were completely ridiculous for a long time. I am just surprised they never seem to change after these kind of events.
    nbsp;A single school shooting in Scotland led to tighter gun laws very soon after. Mass murders innbsp;Australia in the 80'snbsp;led to very tight gun control there and they saw a massive reduction in shooting deaths. I just don't think you can deny the stats coming out of the US regarding shooting deaths.

I agree with you that the gun laws should have already been reevaluated and changed, before this occurred. I just also think that the causes go beyond gun laws.

And just to add I don't mean for this to sound condescending because I think that you realize this after reading your additional posts.
  • image blowfish11:
    image CinemaGoddess:

This.

Additionally, on the issue of guns, today is not the day to talk about gun control.  That should have happened in 1999 after Columbine.  

Gun control laws wouldn't have prevented this tragedy. My heart aches for the children who lost their lives. It aches for the parents who lost a baby. I want to curl up in a ball and cry and squeeze my babies and not ever let them leave my house, but I know I can't. 

Possibly not. But if there were tighter controls on the type and number of guns one could own then so many lives might not have been lost.

• image justAphase:

How strict are the gun laws in Canada? 

Much stricter than the US, but still need work in my opinion- especially when it come to storage.

It is also the 'gun culture' thing that gets me. I do not know one single person who owns a hand gun. At all. A few of our friends who hunt own hunting rifles, that are taken apart after use and stored in a locked gun safe. No one thinks they need a gun for personal protection.

• image rebs:
    image justAphase:

Much stricter than the US, but still need work in my opinion- especially when it come to storage.

It is also the 'gun culture' thing that gets me. I do not know one single person who owns a hand gun. At all. A few of our friends who hunt own hunting rifles, that are taken apart after use and stored in a locked gun safe. No one thinks they need a gun for personal protection.

I agree. I know more people with guns than without. Too many people feel like having a gun is a necessity.

The even sh?ttier part is that because of things like this, even more people are going to get guns. I don't necessarily blame them. It's hard to feel safe anymore. And who wants to bring a knife to a gun fight? 

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_liyj9bU0cC1qfqx86.gif
    M: March 2011

jap+anustart=assoulmates 4 life

• image rebs:
    image blowfish11:
    image CinemaGoddess:

This.

Gun control laws wouldn't have prevented this tragedy. My heart aches for the children who lost their lives. It aches for the parents who lost a baby. I want to curl up in a ball and cry and squeeze my babies and not ever let them leave my house, but I know I can't. 

Possibly not. But if there were tighter controls on the type and number of guns one could own then so many lives might not have been lost.

I agree with you Rebs. The fact that these were legally obtained is a problem. It proves our gun laws are way too lax. 
  • image CinemaGoddess:

Agree

• I think being afraid to take your child to school is a bit extreme. School shootings are not common and other dangers exist that are more likely to affect you.

• image rebs:

I tend to agree with you that there is no need for a private citizen to own a semi-automatic weapon. My main concern with people wanting to make major changes to gun laws is that I'm afraid it will be a case of closing the barn door after the horses have already gotten out (or however that saying goes.) I know you didn't say this, but I've heard/read some people say that guns should be taken away from people who already own them, and my concern is that if something like that were to happen, law-abiding citizens would surrender their guns, and criminals would keep theirs. There are already so many guns owned by so many people that I don't know how much of a difference it would make to make it more difficult for people to obtain them legally in the future. If it had become significantly more difficult to obtain guns after the movie theater shooting, for example, the mother of yesterday's shooters would've already owned her guns, and her son would presumably have still been able to get them from her.

I don't know what the answer is, but I'm not sure that making it more difficult to legally obtain guns would help significantly at this point. There are too many criminals and dangerous people with guns for me to NOT want to own one. My husband and I already have one, and honestly, this incident has made us want to get another. 

• Strict gun laws only keep good, law abiding citizens from getting guns.  Criminals, gang members, mentally ill people who want a gun will always have access to guns.  So this tradegy most likely would not have been prevented.
  • image rebs:
    image justAphase:

That's because those types of non-hunting guns are restricted in Canada and you have to get a permit to even be allowed to transport to and from the shooting range.

"If you use your firearm for work, or if you belong to a gun club and want to use your restricted firearm for target practice, you would get an ATT valid for an extended period of time (up to 3 years). In some provinces this permit is obtained by and through the organization you belong to - i.e. the gun club, or your employer.

Certain individuals who need restricted firearms for protection against predators in the wilderness (eg. trappers, prospectors), or for survival (eg. bush pilots), can obtain such a permit through the CFC, after completing a special wilderness training course.

While self-defence is a legal purpose, it is virtually impossible for an average citizen to get a permit to carry a concealed firearm for self-protection." http://www.firearmstraining.ca/permits.htm

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image justAphase:

In order to buy a gun in Canada, you need to take the Canadian Firearms Safety Course through the a licensed RCMP (costs about $200-$250). Then you need a PAL (Purchase and Aquisition License or FAC) to buy and own a gun. You can't touch or look at a gun upclose in a store without license. There used to be a POL (Possession Only License) that allowed ownership only (no hunting, buying/selling, transporting, etc) but that program expired in 2004.

That being said, we still have maniacs who have walked into schools and taken innocent lives.  I do believe that the US needs to reevaluate the ease in which guns can be purchased, but I also think tragedies like this are much bigger than just gun laws.  This guy (and the others like him) had major psychological issues that should have been dealt with before they led to violence. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• image Kissimi21:
    image justAphase:

In order to buy a gun in Canada, you need to take the Canadian Firearms Safety Course through the a licensed RCMP (costs about $200-$250). Then you need a PAL (Purchase and Aquisition License or FAC) to buy and own a gun. You can't touch or look at a gun upclose in a store without license. There used to be a POL (Possession Only License) that allowed ownership only (no hunting, buying/selling, transporting, etc) but that program expired in 2004.

That being said, we still have maniacs who have walked into schools and taken innocent lives.  I do believe that the US needs to reevaluate the ease in which guns can be purchased, but I also think tragedies like this are much bigger than just gun laws.  This guy (and the others like him) had major psychological issues that should have been dealt with before they led to violence. 

• I think that being mad is a normal reaction to this kind of thing. I don't think it's insensitive. I think our primary reaction is sorrow and grief for the families who lost their kids, but it's also normal to have other feelings when something so horrific happens. On some level anyone who is a parent feels it.

You only live forever in the lights you make
    When we were young we used to say
    That you only hear the music when your heart begins to break

Now we are the kids from yesterday

• I don't think this is ill-timed.  I think it is crazy to think people will get over their emotions after just a day.
  • These guns were stolen from a registered gun owner. There is no way that gun control could have prevented this.

Saying a gun caused this is short sighted. If I get wasted, crash my car into a minivan and kill a family of five, should we blame my car's manufactorer for it? Of course not.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • While they were talking about what a picturesque, perfect place this was with so little crime, I just wondered than, why does someone feel the need to have three guns? I am mad about it to, I do not like guns and do not understand the need to own one when its more likely you will shoot a family member then an intruder. 

• Also, if someone is that screwed in the head they want to kill a large amount of people, they can make a homemade bomb from sh!t you could purchase at home depot. Gun control isn't going to make people who are murderers not be murderers.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image KC_13:

These guns were stolen from a registered gun owner. There is no way that gun control could have prevented this.

Saying a gun caused this is short sighted. If I get wasted, crash my car into a minivan and kill a family of five, should we blame my car's manufactorer for it? Of course not.

You were using the vehicle improperly.

If a gun is used properly, it kills.  That's the only reason a gun exists.  For killing.

There is a huge difference between guns and cars. 

imageimage

Yes.  Yes you are, Benny.  (Bonus: Chris Pine!!!!eleventy111sploosh)

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

I still remember CG telling me my legs would slide off Finnick's shoulders. In my head I said, "we really should be friends." ~LauraT25

"You are annoying and seem to have nothing better to do than talk about cookie pie and insult others." ~ Troll du jour

• image littlemermaid:
    Strict gun laws only keep good, law abiding citizens from getting guns.  Criminals, gang members, mentally ill people who want a gun will always have access to guns.  So this tradegy most likely would not have been prevented.

THANK YOU!  I totally agree.  My husband always says "locks just keep out the honest people".  Meaning that if someone wants to break in, they will; if someone is going to go on a crazying killing spree, they will.  Is it unfortunate and awful?  Absolutely.  

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers