Babies: 0 - 3 Months

She fell off the bed

Last night I was trying to get my LO to sleep so I was holding her in bed rocking her back and forth. Well it worked but unfortunately it worked on both of us. One minute we are rocking
The next she is on the floor crying. It was the single scariest moment of my whole life. She only cried for a minute and I was able to console her so I didn't think she was hurt but I had to take her to the ER to be sure. It was awful they gave her a CT scan just to be sure she was okay. It was terrifying. I was scared, sorry, embarrassed. I feel like the worst mom. I am eternally grateful that she is okay.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: She fell off the bed

• I'm glad she is okay, but please let yourself off the hook.  Falling off the bed is a right-of-passage.  I used to say it would NEVER happen to ds and it did at 7 months.
    [CENTER]image [/CENTER]

[CENTER]imageimage [/CENTER]
  • It happens to the best of us. When DS was small, this happened with DH and I on separate occassions. I understand you feel terrible but let yourself off the hook here. Glad your LO is okay.
    image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm pretty sure it happens to everyone at some point, I'm sorry it happened though. Hugs!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Dont beat yourself up. My x let my dd fall off the bed at about 3 months. I was livid. She was fine but i was fuming for months, convinced he had ruined any chance of her being normal.well almost 3 yrs later and dd is more than fine! Shes never missed a developmental milestone (or been late) and shes ahead of the pack developmentally.

• image g8trkim:
    It happens to the best of us. When DS was small, this happened with DH and I on separate occassions. I understand you feel terrible but let yourself off the hook here. Glad your LO is okay.

Ditto. Glad all is ok.

Little Dude '09 Littlest Dude '12
  • Happened to my DD last week. I still get upset when I think about it. Glad your DD is ok!!
  • It happened to us too. I called an ambulance lol, I was so shaken up I was sure he was hurt but he was fine!

My dad also hoisted DS over his head, directly into a rotating ceiling fan. That left a bruise but DS was still fine! These kids have resilient heads.

The guilt is another story. Let yourself off the hook, it's an awful feeling but your LO is fine and I'll bet it will never happen again.

image"

My 4 Angel Babies.....
    MC#1- 12/2008, MC#2- 05/2009, MC#3 07/2009, MC#4 11/2009

Training to become an IBCLC. BF Questions? Just ask!

• I know its easier said than done but give yourself a freebie on this. She is ok! Did you ever see that movie What To Expect When Your Expecting? Here's a quote:

Alex: "You dropped your kid off a changing table?!"
    Gabe: "Stuff just happens, okay? Last week, my kid ate a cigarette."
    Craig: "I caught him playing in the dryer yesterday."
    Patel: "I picked up the wrong baby from daycare."
    Gabe: "I found my baby swimming in the toilet. No judging."

• image ahollo02:
    I know its easier said than done but give yourself a freebie on this. She is ok! Did you ever see that movie What To Expect When Your Expecting? Here's a quote:Alex: "You dropped your kid off a changing table?!"Gabe: "Stuff just happens, okay? Last week, my kid ate a cigarette."Craig: "I caught him playing in the dryer yesterday."Patel: "I picked up the wrong baby from daycare."Gabe: "I found my baby swimming in the toilet. No judging."

Hahaha this made both DH and I laugh! Thank you all so much. It is comforting to know that I am not the only one the nurses told me the same thing. DH was so understanding too much more than I would have been if he had done it glad that I realize this now. It still feels so awful but it does help to know I am not alone.

• Ds# 1 fell off the bed, flipped out of his stroller head first to the floor at Target (was fine)

Ds#2 roll down a flight of stairs when Dh forgot to close the gate (was fine)

Both of my older boys have had stitches at some point, oldest broke his arm when younger brother tried to trip him.....

let see if I can keep Ds #3 safer. It happens to all of us. Not negligent, but stuff happens. Especially with strong, energetic little boys.

• image Emerson2007:

Ds# 1 fell off the bed, flipped out of his stroller head first to the floor at Target (was fine)

Ds#2 roll down a flight of stairs when Dh forgot to close the gate (was fine)

Both of my older boys have had stitches at some point, oldest broke his arm when younger brother tried to trip him.....

let see if I can keep Ds #3 safer. It happens to all of us. Not negligent, but stuff happens. Especially with strong, energetic little boys.

I'm just lurking, but I'll never forget the first time my little guy fell on his face on the incline of a hill when he was 6 months.  I cried and cried.  Then, he fell off the bed at like 11 months.  I cried and cried.  Now, he falls down a few stairs here and there, and I know he's okay.  They are SO durable.  =) 

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image anonsouthernbell:
    I'm glad she is okay, but please let yourself off the hook.  Falling off the bed is a right-of-passage.  I used to say it would NEVER happen to ds and it did at 7 months.

I agree. We just had our first tumble off the couch. I couldnt believe how fast he is! First of many. 

• This must have been so scary for you! Glad LO is ok!

Pregnancy Ticker

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD Due 10.17.14]

• dont beat yourself up over it.. heres a story to make you feel better, my DD was 2 weeks old when i was at target in the parking lot i had unbuckled her in her carseat to get a pacifier under her but and to see if she pooped and forgot to buckle her back in, took her out of the car was carrying her in the carseat and she fell out of her carseat onto asphalt about 2 feet... I was a nervous wreck, screaming crying, people were running over to see if the baby was okay. I called my husband, he came rushing over, did a check on her (hes a fireman/emt). took her to the hospital she had a ct scan and everything was fine.. I felt like the worlds worst mother. While at the hospital the doctor was calming me down while my child was her happy self, and saying that newborns are very resilent. It hurts you more than it hurts her. I know how you feel. DONT BEAT YOURSELF UP OVER IT!
  • I am so sorry! 

I dropped our DS in the same way.  I was in the glider nursing him.  I think I fell asleep with him at the breast so he was lateral in my arms so when I fell asleep he just rolled right out.  It was awful.  The sound of him hitting the hardwood floor is what woke me.  He was just 2 weeks old and had just come home from the hospital where we'd been for RSV.  I never once nursed him sitting in the glider again.  It was awful.  I suspect I'll not nurse this next one in the glider either for fear of it happening again.  

I'm really glad your baby girl is ok.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• When I was 2 and my brother was 2 months, my mom had me sitting on the kitchen counter, with my brother right next to me in a baby seat (ah, the eighties!). I apparently tried to crawl across the counter and bumped my brother's seat, causing him to fall out of the chair and tumble headfirst onto the tile floor. He was absolutely fine, and is now a doctor, so no long-term damage Big Smile.

Don't worry, it happens. Babies are resilient.

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready, you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" - Dr. Seuss

• I was nursing casey on th couch and nodded off...I awoke when he fell head first onto the couch beside me! Scared the living bejesus otta me! I try to never nurse him unless I am fully awake!! Glad your little one is okay!