Breastfeeding

Breastfeeding help...

Our daughter is now 8 days old. We have given her formula a couple different times, because she still seemed starved after I breastfed her.

Now its really hard for her to latch on to my breast. I really want to get away from the formula and strictly just breastfeed her. Any suggestions on how I can help her to latch on? It just resorts to her latching for a few seconds and then screaming :/

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Breastfeeding help...

• The best thing you can do for your supply is nurse, nurse, nurse. If you give LO a bottle, your body doesn't get the signal that it needs to make more milk. If you feel you need to supplement, you can give LO a very small amount using a spoon or oral syringe. But you need to pump whenever you supplement, so your body knows it needs to increase production. So...it's easiest to just keep LO on the breast.

Babies can quickly develop a bottle preference because they don't have to work to get the milk/formula out. Breastfeeding takes work. So that's probably why LO is getting frustrated at the breast.

I'd ditch the formula and nurse, nurse, nurse. Have lots of skin to skin time with LO and nurse her at the first signs of hunger, [rooting, sucking hands/lips]. Crying is a late sign of hunger, and by then, LO is worked up, and it's hard to settle them down to nurse.

You can hand express until you have a few drops of milk on your nipple and touch it to her mouth to let her know that's where the food is. You can also massage your breast while nursing, to help get your milk going a bit faster.

Here's a helpful page from kellymom.com that explains what to expect in the first 6 wks:

http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newbornnursing/

Hang in there. It will get easier with time. Also, seeing a lactation consultant and/or attending your hospital's bf'ing support group would be a great way to get helpful tips and support in these early weeks.

ETA: I'm on my phone, so it took out the hyphen in the link I gave you. There should be a hyphen between "newborn" and "nursing."
    someecards.com - I'm well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today.
    DD1: allergic to eggs, dairy, soy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, catsBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • image shotzie:
    The best thing you can do for your supply is nurse, nurse, nurse. If you give LO a bottle, your body doesn't get the signal that it needs to make more milk. If you feel you need to supplement, you can give LO a very small amount using a spoon or oral syringe. But you need to pump whenever you supplement, so your body knows it needs to increase production. So...it's easiest to just keep LO on the breast. Babies can quickly develop a bottle preference because they don't have to work to get the milk/formula out. Breastfeeding takes work. So that's probably why LO is getting frustrated at the breast. I'd ditch the formula and nurse, nurse, nurse. Have lots of skin to skin time with LO and nurse her at the first signs of hunger, [rooting, sucking hands/lips]. Crying is a late sign of hunger, and by then, LO is worked up, and it's hard to settle them down to nurse. You can hand express until you have a few drops of milk on your nipple and touch it to her mouth to let her know that's where the food is. You can also massage your breast while nursing, to help get your milk going a bit faster. Here's a helpful page from kellymom.com that explains what to expect in the first 6 wks: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newbornnursing/ Hang in there. It will get easier with time. Also, seeing a lactation consultant and/or attending your hospital's bf'ing support group would be a great way to get helpful tips and support in these early weeks. ETA: I'm on my phone, so it took out the hyphen in the link I gave you. There should be a hyphen between "newborn" and "nursing."
    This is great advice. It does get easier.
  • In addition to the pp, my LC suggested that I pump for a few minutes before nursing to get a let down, then latch...as your LO gets more used to it they will be more patient while waiting for let down.
  • I'd like to share my first few weeks with you. I would nurse DS for up to forty five minutes of every one to two hours, and some times he would seem hungry after nursing on both sides. I would just switch him back to the first side and let him keep nursing. I spent a lot of time on the couch and watched a lot of episodes of Monk and Mythbusters! I was nervous he was not getting enough food but eventually my supply regulated to his needs and now at 3 months and a week he's doing great! If your baby still seems hungry after eating, go ahead and just keep nursing. And it does get so much better after the first weeks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards