June 2013 Moms

So is this creepy too?

I just can't help myself.

If you think extended BFing is creepy, is it also creepy for your child to see you or your SO naked? If you plan to nurse will you cover up around your older kids? 

Here's my FFC, my kid sees me naked all the time, I'm a SAHM so he sees me changing or getting out of the shower and I'm certainly not going to shut him out of the room. Flame away.

PCOS Dx 12.08 / BFP! 4.22.10 DS1 born 1.4.11 DS2 born 6.19.13
Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: So is this creepy too?

• I nurse my 2.5 year old in front of my 4 year old.  It's not creepy for us.  It's our normal.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I don't think that's creepy when the kids are young, but there is a cut off point to that, right?  Pretty sure I saw my parents naked when I was little, but I certainly don't now!
  • I still shower with DD.  If she doesn't nap it's the only way I GET a shower some days. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Welcoming a baby boy in June!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • there are some things in life i wish i could "unsee"... my mom bending down in a nightgown with no undies on is one of them.

Crying

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I remember seeing my mom naked when I was younger, but not my dad.

BabyFetus Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • image kread8:
    I don't think that's creepy when the kids are young, but there is a cut off point to that, right?  Pretty sure I saw my parents naked when I was little, but I certainly don't now!

Trying to make sure I word this right....

There is, but only because he'll be more independent and I won't need to be keeping an eye on him while changing or showering. And also because at some point I'm sure he'll say Ew Mom! and walk out of the room, but I'm still not going to feel embarrassed or weirded out if he walks in on me when he's 15. If we decide to have another baby one day when he's a teenager, I'll still whip my boobs out to BF at home regardless. Does that make sense?

• image CarolynL8:

there are some things in life i wish i could "unsee"... my mom bending down in a nightgown with no undies on is one of them.

Crying

LOL I just died reading that!

Ayden June 2008 Vaginal Birth-
    Ethan Aug. 2010 C-Section-
    Hoping for a VBAC

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • image CarolynL8:

there are some things in life i wish i could "unsee"... my mom bending down in a nightgown with no undies on is one of them.

Crying

lol, touche.

• image CarolynL8:

Crying

Yes...or my mother's nipples...Ick!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • image tyresec:
    image CarolynL8:

Crying

Ok really? Bent over pubic shot is one thing, but I don't understand when your own mother's boobs gross you out no matter what age you or they are. I really, really don't. 

• My son is only 17 mos so if he's in the room when I'm changing quick, not a big deal. To me there is definitely a cut off point to that though, I'm not sure what age but I'm sure ill know when it's time.

I will attempt to breast feed this next LO and hasn't really though much about that sort of nudity around my DS as he will be under 2 when LO arrives. I think it depends on their age.

BFP 5/21/10, Missed m/c 7/5/10 at 11w3d (baby measured 7wks), D&C 7/7/10

Aug/Sept 2010 - CD3&10 b/w & u/s, genetic testing, SA, HSG, & Lap/Hyst to remove septum

12/09/10 BFP -- 7/05/11 DS born at 33w5d. Came home after 23d in NICU at 37w0d

June 2012 - TTC #2! -- 10/05/12 BFP --  5/23/13 DS2 born at 37w1d! Yay full term!

• I realize this isn't the same, but here's my story. I'm 18 years older than my youngest brother. He was very eloquent at a young age. When he was two I brought him shopping with me. In the changing room he looked up at me and said, "I can see your nipples". That was the last time he came in a changing room with me.
    BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

image image
  • image Mommy2CB:
    My son is only 17 mos so if he's in the room when I'm changing quick, not a big deal. To me there is definitely a cut off point to that though, I'm not sure what age but I'm sure ill know when it's time. I will attempt to breast feed this next LO and hasn't really though much about that sort of nudity around my DS as he will be under 2 when LO arrives. I think it depends on their age.

I guess I just don't get what age BFing becomes something your other kids shouldn't see? I just don't feel there is one. 

• image CocoMcGee:
    I realize this isn't the same, but here's my story. I'm 18 years older than my youngest brother. He was very eloquent at a young age. When he was two I brought him shopping with me. In the changing room he looked up at me and said, "I can see your nipples". That was the last time he came in a changing room with me.

Yea, Id probably call it a day at that point too!

lol

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Both H and I shower with DD and don't plan to stop anytime soon.

I plan to nurse baby freely in front of DD. I'd like her to know its natural and that it's how the baby eats. DD may be 4 before I'm done nursing the baby. It wouldn't matter if she was 14, though. It's natural, period, and you're my kid.

I am personally not comfortable with my kids seeing below the belt nudity of the opposite sex past a certain age, but I'm not sure what that age is. I think I'll know it when it happens. There's just a time when it'll be no longer appropriate for my daughter to see daddy's peen casually, lol.
    image Pregnancy Ticker
  • image CocoMcGee:
    I realize this isn't the same, but here's my story. I'm 18 years older than my youngest brother. He was very eloquent at a young age. When he was two I brought him shopping with me. In the changing room he looked up at me and said, "I can see your nipples". That was the last time he came in a changing room with me.

See, I would have laughed and said yep. Or just said well turn around then, I'll be done in a sec.

• image hjk5000:
    image tyresec:
    image CarolynL8:

Crying

Ok really? Bent over pubic shot is one thing, but I don't understand when your own mother's boobs gross you out no matter what age you or they are. I really, really don't. 

Because my mother had a problem with hair around her nipples that she refused to remove...and there is a clear image of them in my mind from the last time I saw them right before I moved out to go to college.  That's why...

ETA: corrected minor errors...and...I never said I had an issue with breasts...just seeing her's...

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • image skio:
    Both H and I shower with DD and don't plan to stop anytime soon. I plan to nurse baby freely in front of DD. I'd like her to know its natural and that it's how the baby eats. DD may be 4 before I'm done nursing the baby. I am personally not comfortable with my kids seeing below the belt nudity of the opposite sex past a certain age, but I'm not sure what that age is. I think I'll know it when it happens. There's just a time when it'll be no longer appropriate for my daughter to see daddy's peen casually, lol.

lol, I totally get why below the belt nudity is something parents have a cut off point for. I just don't get why people have the same hang up over boobs.

• Breastfeeding is not creepy in any way shape or form. However, that said, it does make some people very uncomfortable.  While in public, I will cover myself while breastfeeding.  While at home, probably not, as long as no one is visiting. If we have company, I would either excuse myself or cover up.  It is not because I am ashamed or think its creepy, it is out of respect for others.

As for being naked in front of your children, I think there should be a cut off....as PP said 4 year olds run around naked and its ok...i dont think it would be acceptable for me to do the same....

Similar to taking naked pics of your baby..its ok when they are little and infants, but at some point it just becomes not appropriate....

Just my opinion...

BabyFruit Ticker photo dip1004.jpg
  • At a certain age they will need to realize what is normal sexuality, respect and boundaries especially when nude however until they reach that age they only see you as getting dressed and everyone gets dressed.  My oldest is almost 7 years old and for years now we have been teaching him privacy and respect because he needs to understand that those are private parts and not for showing off etc... but certainly at younger ages when they don't understand it isn't an issue
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • DD hangs out on our bed while we are getting ready in the mornings, so she obviously sees us waltzing around getting out of the shower, etc...According to a class I took on child psychology as well as other studies, kids don't remember anything earlier than 3 years old as far as a 'memory' is concerned (not counting skills learned, etc)... So until DD is at least 3, I am not worried or concerned about harming their psyche. 
  • image hjk5000:

image kread8:
    I don't think that's creepy when the kids are young, but there is a cut off point to that, right?  Pretty sure I saw my parents naked when I was little, but I certainly don't now!

Trying to make sure I word this right....

There is, but only because he'll be more independent and I won't need to be keeping an eye on him while changing or showering. And also because at some point I'm sure he'll say Ew Mom! and walk out of the room, but I'm still not going to feel embarrassed or weirded out if he walks in on me when he's 15. If we decide to have another baby one day when he's a teenager, I'll still whip my boobs out to BF at home regardless. Does that make sense?

That makes sense!  And I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but I don't really think of BF as being naked - yes, you're showing skin but you are feeding your child and it is a lot different to me than walking around completely in the buff, KWIM?

• image hjk5000:

image Mommy2CB:
    My son is only 17 mos so if he's in the room when I'm changing quick, not a big deal. To me there is definitely a cut off point to that though, I'm not sure what age but I'm sure ill know when it's time. I will attempt to breast feed this next LO and hasn't really though much about that sort of nudity around my DS as he will be under 2 when LO arrives. I think it depends on their age.

I guess I just don't get what age BFing becomes something your other kids shouldn't see? I just don't feel there is one. 

Totally agree with this.  You are feeding their sibling.  I don't think of that as nudity. 

• image hjk5000:

image skio:
    Both H and I shower with DD and don't plan to stop anytime soon. I plan to nurse baby freely in front of DD. I'd like her to know its natural and that it's how the baby eats. DD may be 4 before I'm done nursing the baby. I am personally not comfortable with my kids seeing below the belt nudity of the opposite sex past a certain age, but I'm not sure what that age is. I think I'll know it when it happens. There's just a time when it'll be no longer appropriate for my daughter to see daddy's peen casually, lol.

lol, I totally get why below the belt nudity is something parents have a cut off point for. I just don't get why people have the same hang up over boobs.

I dont know how old I was, but I saw my dad's peen and was old enough to remember it... not going to lie, it scarred me a little bit...

• image hjk5000:

image CocoMcGee:

See, I would have laughed and said yep. Or just said well turn around then, I'll be done in a sec.

I did! I still laugh about it. I just felt that if you could name your sister's body parts with semi-scientific terms, you were too old to be seeing them.

I do feel breastfeeding is different though. My mom breastfed all of her children in front of all of her children regardless of sex.

BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

image image
  • I am still naked in front of my kids when I'm getting ready. If they start to show discomfort over it, I'll modify my behavior but until then, I don't care. They also don't have any modesty themselves, so I don't think nakedness is even a thing in their minds yet.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • This didn't stir up nearly as much drama as I thought it would. ;-)  No one feels sorry for my children yet. lol
  • I'm still naked in front of ds1 at almost 2. I do plan on stopping soon, but will still breastfeed in front of him.
    My sister is 8 years younger than me my mom nursed her in front of me, my sister has breast fed her kids without a cover in front of me and I have done the same. Breastfeeding is just part of our normal.
    My mom still will change her shirt in front of me. I don't remember ever seeing my dad naked.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • DS will still take a shower with DH or I. I agree with PP -- there will come a point in time when it's just not acceptable for us to be naked in front of him. The age is probably different for every child, but I'll think we'll just know. I remember seeing my mom's boobs once when she bent over in her pajamas before school. I come from a pretty modest family... I remember feeling really, really awkward about it all day at school. I will always and forever BF in front of my children. I didn't cover up when really close friends or relatives came to visit, but if nursing seemed to make someone uncomfortable, I had no problem throwing a blanket over my shoulder.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I definitely plan to nurse in front of other children. My children will be tandem nursed so I guess that's not surprising.

I nurse in front of whomever whenever. I don't care if it's my FIL, my friend, a perfect stranger, my OB, or the pope. I now totally understand the phrase "just you wait."

And for the silly silly ftms who think, "I'll just pump, NBD!" LOL. Mmmkay. We sure will see about that. I can't wait to hear in June/July how "NBD" pumping is for you.
    Pg with #2