2nd Trimester

My OB isn't an MD, but a MSN, WHNP-BC, RNP-C

I noticed this when I received a full list of the Dr's and their credentials/titles when they switched to a new office building. All the other Dr's had "MD" in their title, but my OB did not...is that bad? What does it mean??

I LOVE her, but I'm just curious what all those initials mean and why she isn't an MD? Does she not know as much as the other Dr's then??

Re: My OB isn't an MD, but a MSN, WHNP-BC, RNP-C

• I can't see all of the title you listed since I'm on bump mobile, but from what I can see, she isn't an MD because she is a nurse practitioner, so she went to nursing school, not medical school. It has nothing to do with her not knowing enough to be an MD.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• A google search says that MSN is a "Masters of Science in Nursing"

WHNP-BC is  Women's Health Nurse Practitioner-Board Certified

RNP-C Registered Nurse Practitioner, Certified 
    Norah is here! Born on July 16th, 2009 7lbs 0oz, 19in and PERFECT! My Blog--Baby Steps, Foot Steps, Leaps, Bounds, Milestones
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Yep, sounds like she's a Nurse Practioner. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nurse_practitioner 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary

• I'm willing to bet she's at least equally competent to an MD.  She's a nurse, but nurses are not to be underrated.  If you like her, stick with her!

// I love you too. //

• NP does NOT AT ALL equal MD.  Please do your research.  The difference in medical training and clinical training is IMMENSE. 

Full disclosure- I have one sister who is an MD, and another who is a nurse, studying to be a CRNA.  VASTLY different experiences and requirements. 

• My OB's office has Nurse Practitioners that I love, but they can only see you until 30 weeks and cannot deliver the baby.  I would check to what your office policy is.
    TTC since 2/2009
    11/2010 - Surprise BFP - m/c @ 16 weeks - dx Lupus Anticoagulant
    1/2012 - Clomid & IUI #4= BFP twins! On Lovenox - m/c @ 16 weeks

9/2012 - Clomid & IUI #5= BFP! EDD 6/6/13

I may have to wait....I'll never give up.
    I guess it's half timing and the other half's luck. - Buble
  • imageRovinChick:
    My OB's office has Nurse Practitioners that I love, but they can only see you until 30 weeks and cannot deliver the baby.  I would check to what your office policy is.

There is, indeed, this to consider. 

// I love you too. //

• Yes, definitely not the same, and not an OB.  But lots of people see NPs exclusively because there aren't doctors in their area or they see one part of the time in conjunction with an OB, like my OB office does.  Other people choose to deliver with other types of practitioners who do not have medical school training and like this better.  If your person seems experienced, you like her, and you don't have any high risk problems, she might be right for you.  Since there are OBs in the practice, maybe it is possible to rotate to see who you like, or maybe they even move you to an OB later in the pregnancy?  If you don't feel comfortable with the level of training you find out she has, it would be fine to ask to switch.  In my limited experience, I haven't found the NPs to have as much information as the doctors I have seen, but the NPs have usually been quite a bit newer in my case, so you just have to trust your feelings on this. 
  • I don't believe she can be called an OB because an obstetrician goes through 4 years medical school and then has a 4-7 residency before taking the board examination.  Does she work in a team setting?

Where I go, they have two midwives for the regular stuff like finding fetal heartbeats/ultrasounds/ measuring fundal height and they are both wonderful! However if something goes wrong and I need to go into surgery or the pregnancy is not going smoothly there are 3 OBs on the team to jump in.   

BabyFruit Ticker
  • She isn't an OB, but a women's health NP. I hold the same ceritifications. They usually work alongside an OB in the office, and it is the OB (or midwives) who will do the delivery. We are trained and qualified to see patients, but are also supported by the MD if something comes up. A good NP knows his/her own bounds, and should know when to consult and refer. A huge benefit to seeing an NP for the bulk of your care is that they usually get a little longer visits to see each patient and have a focus on whole family care and education. Whereas the medical model is 'disease-focused'. Ask her who she consults with, and I would want to meet them also since they are technically part of your care. NPs don't claim to be doctors or even the same, we just share many job functions.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I would definitely side-eye the office if you called to make an appt with an OB and they scheduled you with an NP without disclosing that information. I have ZERO against NP's and actually love the midwife at my OB practice - it's just that if you thought you were seeing an OB, that's a problem.

It doesn't look like she has the actual midwife credential; the certification in Women's Health would prepare her for gynecological care, but I would be concerned if she wasn't a midwife and was handling all of your care. And you have the right to know then who will be delivering your baby.

Started TTC 2/2009
    Started fertility treatments 11/2010
    Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
    6 failed medicated IUI's
    Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
    Decided to adopt - 6/2012
    SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
    Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
    Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
    Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
    Here we go again...
    Due 8/26/19!
  • imageRovinChick:
    My OB's office has Nurse Practitioners that I love, but they can only see you until 30 weeks and cannot deliver the baby.  I would check to what your office policy is.

I have been going to a nurse practitioner for years and when I got preg she told me I would have to see the other 2 dr.s because she is not allowed to deliver babies. I know you love her, but I would use an OB for sure.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• There are 2 WHNPs at my practice, and as PP said they cannot deliver babies. Maybe your office/state has a different policy with some extra training or something, but as far as I know it is not within their scope of practice.

They see me for routine visits, up to 30 weeks.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • She's NOT a doctor at all, she's a nurse.

That being said, for DD#1, I was seen almost exclusively by an RNP who I loved.  I've been at the same OB-GYN for over a decade, so I already had a relationship with my OB-GYN and didn't need to build a rapport with her during the pregnancy.  She, of course, delivered DD.

But you'll need then to find out who will deliver your LO because a nurse can't.  She probably can be there and check on you but she's not a doctor and not licensed to do that.

Sidenote: I was bummed when I came to my first prenatal for this LO, which was with my same RNP from last time--and she was 8 mos. pregnant!  So I actually have been having my checkups with my regular OB-GYN and I preferred the visits with the RNP because she wasn't as rushed, wasn't called off to deliver a baby, and was generally more empathetic and concerned with every aspect of my pregnancy.

I say stay with the RNP if you like her but make sure you have at least a visit or two with whoever the supervising OB-GYN is.  GL! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Please also keep in mind, that when the time comes your OB may not be the one to actually deliver your baby.  My clinic has 3 different doctors, and they tell you up front that you never know who it will be.

If you are confortable with her, and at a low risk pregnancy I wouldn't worry.  However if there are complications, I would consider seeking out another practice that just has MDS.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Post deleted.
    DD #1 Amber Lynn 12/2000, DD #2 Leia Elizabeth 6/2009, DD#3 Aayla Ruth 08/2012. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I always try to see the person at the office that has the lowest credentials qualified to deal with my situation. If I have a cough that won't clear up, I ask for the Physician's Assistant or Nurse Practitioner. If I had the option I would see a Certified Nurse Midwife for my pregnancy since that is the minimum requirement in our state for delivering a baby. I am seeing our family general practitioner. The reason why I do this is that the more specialized a practitioner is, the more they are trained to deal with complications and unusual situations and the less likely they are to see something as being within the range of normal even when it is. The more you look for a problem, the more likely you are to find it. A CNM is plenty qualified to recognize complications and refer out.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Mine is a DO... Which is lateral to an MD. I don't believe though a Dr even has to be your OB. Obviously if you're low risk a midwife or nurse can do everything you need!
  • as pps have stated, she is not a doctor. she's a nurse practitioner.

that said, my 2nd pregnancy is a low-risk one, so I switched to a nurse midwive practice / birthing center. they still consult with obs, but ultimately I plan to deliver with the midwife / nurse practitioner on call.

if you want an ob, I would talk to the practice. perhaps there was a miscommunication along the way. 

• I would talk to her and ask her what it means for you. I see a midwife who has her msn, and is nurse practioner but she is  a certified midwife. She works in an office with a Dr. I think he technically over sees her. My last pregnacy I had a few complications and he (the dr) dealt with them but I continued to see her. She was amazing and I am seeing her again this pregnancy but she was very upfront with me about her scope of practice. Also she is very experienced but is good about admitting when something is outside of her scope of care.

Also in there practice the dr/mid wife you saw was the one to deliver the baby unless something came up. For example she went on vacation that I knew about in advance. If I went into labor then the dr. would have delivered my baby.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"