High-Risk Pregnancy

As a HR mama when did you feel comfortable buying stuff for baby?

I know this might be a silly question, but it has come up on our Due date board...When were you comfortable buying stuff for the baby?  I am not comfortable yet buying anything, even though everything seems to be going well so far.  It is like I don't want to get my hopes up.  There is this dress I want to buy her so bad, but I just can't bring myself to do it.  My SO said it is safe to buy things when she is in our arms, lol.  I sort of agree with him.

Re: As a HR mama when did you feel comfortable buying stuff for baby?

• I think it depends on the risks with your HR. I felt pretty good at my 14 week scan, that's the pic in my siggy. Everything was normal.

I still only bought small items until after my 20 week A/S, then I relaxed. Still normal with great growth/healthy placenta.

image image
  • This is why in the Jewish tradition you put nothing baby related into your house until baby is born.  :)

With my twins we finally purchased furniture and big ticket items around 17 weeks and only because we needed it done early for risk of bedrest (which happened at 23 weeks).

Good good luck!!  I know how awful it feels to be so worried.

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • I told my doctor I could not handle any more appointments because I was in multiple times/week with all the different doctors I had to see.  She said, why don't you skip the nurse practioner appointment where you learn the details about labor since I know you'll find that out on your own.  I decided to go to the appointment because I needed to reconnect with something normal and fun about pregnancy rather than just thinking about all the scary stuff.  That doesn't mean you should shop if you don't think you're ready, but if it makes you feel good, get a cute dress or whatever.  You can order a lot online, so you could make a registry and if you end up on bedrest or something you at least know what you need and can get it quickly.
  • image ERMommy:
    This is why in the Jewish tradition you put nothing baby related into your house until baby is born.nbsp; :With my twins we finally purchased furniture and big ticket items around 17 weeks and only because we needed it done early for risk of bedrest which happened at 23 weeks.Good good luck!!nbsp; I know how awful it feels to be so worried.

Kind of funny you said that because my SO is Jewish and we are going to raise this baby Jewish. I'll have to ask him if that is his reasoning.
  • I didn't know that I was high risk until my 20 week u/s and had already bought a few things when we found out its a boy at 16 weeks.
  • Sometimes I'll grab little stuff if it's a good deal in the beginning, but usually not until I am safely past viability.
    Jayme
    Boy 16, Boy 15, Boy 13, Girl 10, Girl 8 & Twin Boys 3, and Bacon!
    Twin A is in REMISSION!
    23 week loss, 24 week loss, 3 early miscarriages & a 25 weeker who lived only 9 weeks.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • This was really hard for me too. Especially because I was so sick all of the time, and I wasn't really able to be excited. 

My sister threw me a shower at 26 weeks, and up until then I never even thought about baby stuff. I did buy the Baby Bargains book which was AWESOME in helping me get my registry together. Thank goodness we got almost everything we needed from the shower. I only "finished" the nursery last week and have yet to buy any clothes etc for LO myself, though I'm starting to look! Again, thankfully others have been very generous and excited for us. 

I can completely relate to how you feel. Although, I say buy the dress if you love it that much :)  GL 

• I think I will feel safe/comfortable buying baby stuff once I get past 24 weeks, as long as things continue to look good.  I really really really want to be able to be excited about this baby and not always live in fear, so I'm going to try to let myself get to that point once I get a little further along in the pregnancy.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1: 1/10/12; EDD: 9/20/12, born too early on 5/7/12 (20w4d) due to IC/PTL/chorioamnionitis.
    BFP #2: 8/30/12; EDD: 5/9/13, emergency cerclage placed at 22w5d, dx cardiomyopathy, strict bed rest for 14 weeks. DD born at 39 weeks.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    All ALs always welcome
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards